TGPW (TGW 1941-1945 with modification)

After Action Reports
Cpl GAC

Re: TGPW (TGW 1941-1945 with modification)

Post by Cpl GAC »

Turn 73 - late '42 and I've been on the offensive for almost a year. I started applying the Green Yellow Red rule and and only attacking/advancing when the unit started from a hex with a supply that is greater than 30% of the effective supply capability; so 30%+effective supply and Green or Yellow to advance, 30%+ effective supply and Green to attack.

It wouldn't work against a human but seems fair versus Elmer, otherwise it's too easy to just encircle big groups of units. Elmer watches while the first line builds up - stuffing as much artillery and infantry into the hexes as possible. Then exploding forward and surrounding the shattered line I then run the tanks and mechanized as far as they will go that turn or into the next. by then the effective supply dwindles below 30% and they are yellow. Then clean up and do it again.

Nothing ruins a party faster than a full-strength fortified German infantry division or two...

I'm using Front HQs (with their 1 movement point) and units with engineer squads to repair bridges and am reliant on the mystery of the program to decide what rail line will get repaired. It seems hell-bent on getting into/through Prussia and couldn't care a lick about getting close to Romania.

In 1941 and 1942 the Soviets are not geared up to rebuild bridges and rails (as discussed with one of the scenario designers in the original scenario thread).
30% rule.jpg
30% rule.jpg (474.54 KiB) Viewed 323 times
If you're STILL making Panzer IIs after seeing your first T-34... you're probably going to lose.
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

Cpl GAC wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:48 pm Turn 73 - late '42 and I've been on the offensive for almost a year. I started applying the Green Yellow Red rule and and only attacking/advancing when the unit started from a hex with a supply that is greater than 30% of the effective supply capability; so 30%+effective supply and Green or Yellow to advance, 30%+ effective supply and Green to attack.

It wouldn't work against a human but seems fair versus Elmer, otherwise it's too easy to just encircle big groups of units.
Yeah, as the Soviets this seems like a reasonable restriction. A sledgehammer, not a rapier.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
Cpl GAC

Post by Cpl GAC »

The test - https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 8#p5046608
Cpl GAC wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:10 pm
golden delicious wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:46 pm I find units on tac reserve, especially soft units, are usually marching into a firestorm of artillery where they don't stand a chance and may even inadvertently march into a trap, or cause a density light to appear.
I should test it, but, as the Soviets in 1941 if marching rifle units into artillery slows down the German advance... I'll share what I discover if I test it unless someone is pretty sure my tactic is idiotic and can save me the learning curve...

=> A 1941 German infantry division moving up one hex with an artillery brigade behind it on tactical reserve assaulting a dug-in (D) Russian Rifle division with another division on tactical reserve behind it, then same thing but the 2nd rifle division is also dug in. Does Gerry get both hexes and at what cost to both sides.
If you're STILL making Panzer IIs after seeing your first T-34... you're probably going to lose.
Cpl GAC

END - TGPW (TGW 1941-1945 with modification)

Post by Cpl GAC »

To finish this AAR up; living by my rule;
Cpl GAC wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:48 pm the Green Yellow Red rule and only attacking/advancing when the unit started from a hex with a supply that is greater than 30% of the effective supply capability; so 30%+effective supply and Green or Yellow to advance, 30%+ effective supply and Green to attack.

I have taken Berlin and it's April 1943 - because the game did the rail repair work, supplemented by my Front HQs in the rear occasionally repairing hexes too. The HQ repair consistency is a bit like being at a craps table at this point (early 43)...

On the map below I put green Xs where the rail terminals are. Basically, the Southern half has sat in a holding pattern because of not enough supply to advance and the auto rail-repair does a great job heading toward Berlin.
turn 94 - APR 1943.png
turn 94 - APR 1943.png (546.74 KiB) Viewed 249 times
I made a dash for Vienna - getting just enough effective supply by stepping back then to run and bash through on one turn. Advances are like this now; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeeZx2GB9qs. but then I can't advance further because of my effective supply rule.
dash to Vienna.jpg
dash to Vienna.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 249 times
Anyways - it's a rule I imposed on myself and it's all over. - just no glory in getting the Hungarian and Romanian capitals.

Great scenario - the Red Army is a beast at this moment and I could have both capitals in less than five weeks. I'm going to fiddle around with the latest RGW now.

I created a really good Soviet formations database in Google Sheets for TGW if anyone wants a copy - great for keeping track of who is where (borrowing corps and assigning fire brigade corps). I even have the Front headers turn red when I designate them an Assault Front - keeps my planning/moving focused.

Return to “After Action Reports”