deManglers First Try at an AAR

Moderator: Vic

deMangler

RE: deManglers First Try at an AAR

Post by deMangler »

*deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 2053 AA**

What a year! So much feasting and carousing as I have never known! They have us pretty much totally bottled into Pacifica City itself, but we have plenty of supplies.
We have tried to negotiate with Kallendorf a few times, but each time has made things worse.

I don’t know how long we can hold out. We still have our best minds working on some way to maintain our autonomy and save this planet from barbarism.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

This has been an, exceptionally, entertaining read.
Your writing style is to be commended & I like the fact you included your starting turn file.
Good luck with what appears to be a...most dire situation.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 254 AA**
We spent the winter bombarding the surrounding forces with our new artillery. This was in the way of a distraction while we build a road over the mountains. We had little knowledge of the planet in that direction and the idea of a better life in the east was giving people hope.
This spring we encountered another major regime while scouting for a place to relocate to.

They are called Narbonensis Commune, and we know next to nothing about them. Any new development that we may be able to turn to our advantage must be considered however.
We are still well stocked with supplies but they won’t last forever.

ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

This has been an, exceptionally, entertaining read.
Your writing style is to be commended & I like the fact you included your starting turn file.
Good luck with what appears to be a...most dire situation.

Really glad it is being enjoyed. I really wanted to expose some of the incredible depth of the game, and how that can be a powerful catalyst for the imagination. And present a different style of enjoying it, that takes me back to the days of pen-and-paper games.
This truly is a great game.

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 254 AA**
Our spies returned with some intel on the territory of the Narbonensis Commune regime

Click for full size.

I sent Dutch to open communications, and I quote, “They rejoiced to meet us and exchange envoys.”

We still don’t know much about them other then they are ‘republican’ and their leader is called ‘First Citizen’ (what kind of title is that for a leader…), his name is Luc Daba.
Seems like their capital city is called Centrumwhite.
They seem like a very strange people, but our survival probably depends on things going well with them.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 254 AA**
Cyrus Dutch’s agents continue to sow trouble within Kallendorf, also his operatives in Narbonensis Commune managed to get some dirt on Luc Daba.
I wasn’t expecting this, and I have to choose how best to utilise it.
Hmmm. They have a faction called ‘United Liberation Force’. I hate this kind of dirty tricks business with someone I was beginning to treat as a potential ally, but, that is politics. The fact that they refused a trade deal with us makes me feel a little less bad about it.

On the domestic front – supplies are starting to become an issue. Artillery use a lot of ammo and our bombardments are not shifting those Kallendorf sitting on the ruins with the metal. Also I had the agri-domes production cut to %50. We have plenty of food and we need the precious water.

The sages say we are heading for another period of corruption. I wonder if that is not simply the norm and they just like saying sagey things. Can’t say I thought much of their ‘Period of Calm’

Narbonensis Commune has asked us to exterminate Syndic Terrorists.
Why does nobody like the Syndics?
Now – practically everyone on the Council wants me to do it. If I do, we are on the verge of democracy. If I don’t, the slight chance of us getting any help ever from Narbonensis Commune will vanish into smoke. I stood by the Syndics before, but under the circumstances...
Time to swallow my pride and my principles.

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 255 AA**
Dutch managed to secure trade arrangements with Narbonensis Commune. I don’t know how he did it, but this time they were eager and pleased.
Used the remains of our dwindling supplies of metal to raise a tank battalion. If we can get those Kallendorf we have been bombarding off of our metal in the ruins then maybe we have a chance.

Mercy Antares has gotten suppressing these protests down to a fine art. The paperwork is still endless, I hardly know what I have signed sometimes – this siege must be getting to me. Kirkland organised another party. Aden tends to be the life and soul of those - he does impressions. His Blaze Wilkinmate never gets old.
We have taken in a group of artists from Narbonensis Commune, a favour for their regime really. I guess they might be democrats but harmless enough probably. Almost everyone thought it was a good idea and who knows, they might actually brighten the place up a bit.

The Kallendorf have brought bunker-busters to the siege. Made a concerted effort to dislodge them with bombardments and those new tanks I had built. No good.
Someone is going to have to pull a rabbit out of the bat if we are going to survive. I always wondered what that old saying actually means…
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 255 AA**

Kallendorf have withdrawn from the ruins directly north-west of Pacifica. This makes no sense unless it is a trap – however we have no choice but to move in and try to hold.
Narbonensis Commune has signed a non-aggression pact with us. Otherwise their attitude towards us remains ‘cold’, even though, as far as our analysts can tell, they like us almost as much as is possible.
We are slowly extending our reach east.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 255 AA**

The Kallendorf have completely withdrawn from the area around Pacifica. They just up and left. No communications and no intel as to why.
There was also no paperwork whatsoever on my desk this morning.
Conclusion. I am dreaming.
Please not the Mercy Antares one again…
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 255 AA**
I have some buggies scouting the plains east. Waiting for intel from spies. We have encountered another major regime – The Freiheim Hansa, and some little outfit, the Bournon Republic. No easy expansion east for us.
Had to completely mothball the agri-domes. We are seriously short of water.
Have begun construction of recyclers in the ruins – just like old times. Luckily I didn’t turn all our metal into ammunition. Maybe we can shift those Xezono from that water supply to the south-east.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 256 AA**
Silidark and Dutch have presented me with intel.

Click for full size

Here is a more strategic overview.

I have no idea why, but it seems Kallendorf have indeed relocated the bulk of their forces nort-west.
That still doesn’t leave a lot left for us – in the near future at least. Possibly we could expand into Xezono territory. For the time-being though, I feel it is best to try to regain some of our strength and watch how things unfold.
Talking of Xezono - we have indeed reclaimed that water supply from them. This time thier lizard-riders were no match for our artlliary, gunners, tanks and bunker-busters.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Late Spring 256 AA**
There are some worrying movements of Kallendorf nearby to the north. They are keeping their distance though. However, those nomads do seem to be keen on hanging around the city – the population are restless about it.
I had our psyche experts do an evaluation on the Xezono leader, and their conclusion is that anyone calling themselves ‘Ace Lambert’ has nothing going on at all. Also any community allowing themselves to be led by such a person would probably be deviant and dysfunctional – which probably explains the lizard riding thing. Even Antares, while she might wear the odd lizard, as far as I know, has never sunk to riding one.

So, therefore we should take as much of their territory as possible.
I quickly agreed with them and sent them away before they could do a psyche evaluation on me.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 256 AA**
We returned a Narbonensis Commune spy to them unharmed. No point in being petty.
Also, Relations with Freiheim Hansa have turned cold. I hear there was some meddling faction turning their leadership against us. Ho hum.

Decided to move forward research on combat armour. It was either that or ‘propeller’, which is a crazy idea.

Spent the warmer months attempting to clear the area around Pacifica of nomads. Construction on vital assets to rebuild our civilisation continue, slowly. I didn't want to push too far with territory yet for fear of provoking a response.

Then… they came in the night. Silently. In the morning they were there, arrayed in the plains to the north-west. Kallendorf encampments.

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 257 AA**
Those Kallendorf left as silently as they came. Maybe they were testing our resolve or maybe it was just a training exercise. Or, maybe they were on their way to disrupting our supply line to the east, similar to what they did just before the battle of Hagbard.

We shall just have to hope we can defend a much smaller front, for the time being. At least we can withdraw from the east if needed - there is nothing for us there.

Have been steadily supporting a Humanist faction in Freiheim Hansa, to what end I do not know.

Relations with Narbonensis Commune remain cold even though our diplomats assure me we have done almost all that is possible to improve them.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**interlude**
Terrible News! I have been pacing my office tearing my hair out wondering what to do about it. I never noticed before but Carbonrock never got round to having that loose panel fixed and now the thumping is driving me crazy. I am convening councils and meetings all over the place to brainstorm a solution.
Probably it is all down to the fact that we keep returning Narbonensis spies unharmed, against my better judgement, but Dutch and Silidark were right in that it did improve relations with them, but at such a huge cost! How could I have missed the danger?

I am rambling. Deep breath. Think!

We have degenerated into becoming a democracy!

This population is not ready! it is as reckless to give them power as it is to put an immature and unenlightened autocrat in charge. Perish the thought of that!.

Now the moral question is, do I work to return power to the autocracy, like the compassionate and enlightened leader that I am, or do I wash my hands of responsibility and let the ignorant masses choose their own fate?

Or, and this is out there, do I work to further increase the intelligence of the people while giving them the means to shape their own fate with a more commerce based democratic society?

If I do that it will upset almost the entire government staff, perhaps apart from Kirkland.

What a dilemma!
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Spring 257 AA**
The first citizen of Narbonensis Commune has praised our policies, he seems especially impressed by our mining operations.
Given the public nature of the praise I had to make some kind of response, so I publicly accepted the praise and gave some speech about our wonderful optimistic and productive population, or something, I can’t really remember, I had a migraine.
In any case – relations with them are now friendly, so – maybe I can get them to attack Kallendorf at some point.

Also, had Newt train up a couple of intelligence experts. If we are going to go democratic we are going to need all the intelligence we can get.
eddieballgame

Post by eddieballgame »

ORIGINAL: deMangler

If we are going to go democratic we are going to need all the intelligence we can get.
Well said [:)]
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Summer 257 AA**
An outbreak of disease devastated the population of Pacifica but it has done nothing to dent the new liberal optimism. Democracy is really taking hold, people are voting all over the place and having debates and everything.

Coincidentally, we are at the peak of the period of corruption.
Leo has been intolerably grumpy for a while now. I am going to throw a surprise party and present him with a medal of merit. It is either that or replace him, and I have grown used to having him around.

Now that our water supply has been restored I have ramped up production in the agri-domes again. Not a moment too soon.
The Kallendorf continue to harangue our road to the east but they do not seem very determined.
ORIGINAL: eddieballgame

ORIGINAL: deMangler

If we are going to go democratic we are going to need all the intelligence we can get.
Well said [:)]

[;)]
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Early Autumn 257 AA**
A group of democratic activists were making a fuss about something. Newt has had them arrested and ‘taken care of’.
The population is angry and there will be unrest. I have to do something, something public. That is the nature of democracies, it is all about appearances.
I never thought I would hesitate to discipline Newt Zedigo. My instinct is to just ignore the whole thing, but I don’t have the luxury.
I will try to quietly reverse his decision. Problem is – we have to make it look like an accident when we ‘discover’ the bodies.
It will be all over the papers of course, ‘U-turn’ this and ‘elitist croneyism’ that, and Newt won’t be happy that I undermined him.

I have to give a policy speech today, where I will big-up the private sector. Hmmm. Maybe if I make an embarrassing gaffe it will take some of the headlines.
Also, let’s pay for some Mystic Temple feasts.
As a final distraction I had Adam Collins make a speech to try to attract some Free Folk to Pacifica. We managed to attract 0.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

*Some Stats*
Just thought I'd add some stats for viewing. Not for any reason. Don't worry - we are not finished yet!

I believe that dip at the end is due the disease outbreak.

Here are a few more. I will have to play a lot more games and make a lot of comparisons before any of this makes any real sense to me, but it might put some things in context for the more experienced.

I am (hopefully) nowhere near finished with this game yet. I will put up saves and so forth for analysis when I am done and I would appreciate any feedback then. But for now I am happy in my ignorance just doing this thing. :)

deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Late Autumn 257 AA**
Have decided to start an Applied Science Council. There are a couple of people in the reserve pool getting paid for nothing, so this should reduce that by %50.

Freiheim Hansa have started blackmailing us. 60cr or they’ll invade.
They are a Theocratic regime so maybe our translators got it mixed up with a request for funds to fix a church roof.
I am sending them the money.

I am not sure what is happening with the Kallendorf. We sometimes see their troops off in the distance across the rocky plains, but who knows what they are up to. All we can do is be ready.
deMangler

Post by deMangler »

**deMangler's Journal. Winter 258 AA**
I think the Kallendorf are probing us.

Those orange 13 units are infantry with automatic rifles and padded envirosuits, and artillery.
I am having some more agricultural capacity built to feed our growing army of machine gunners. Lets see how long we can last if they do try to finish us off.

Return to “AAR”