Missing German Units

Please report OOB issues and other historical questions here.

Moderator: Vic

BigDuke66

Missing German Units

Post by BigDuke66 »

Hi
I checked the German OOB for "Case White" and found a bunch of units missing:

Brigade Goldap - Attached to "Gruppe Brand" seems to be still forming at 1.9.39 South-East of Gumbinnen

Number in brackets shows the "Welle", 1. & 2. Welle are normal units in the game while 3. & 4. Welle are treated as reserve divisions.
56. Infantry Division(2) - OKH Reserve at Heeresgruppe Süd
57. Infantry Division(2) - OKH Reserve at Heeresgruppe Süd
68. Infantry Division(2) - Part of VII. Korps, the 68. Infantry Division in that Korps should be part of the XXII. Korps
218. Infantry Division(3) - Reserve at 4. Armee
221. Infantry Division(3) - Attached to XXII. Korps
239. Infantry Division(3) - Reserve at 14. Armee, maybe already part of VII. Korps
252. Infantry Division(4) - Reserve at Heeresgruppe Süd
257. Infantry Division(4) - Reserve at Heeresgruppe Süd
258. Infantry Division(4) - Reserve at Heeresgruppe Süd

I./23 Panzer Regiment - Attached to 8. Armee, strength: 28x Pz I, 34x Pz II, 3x Pz III, 4x Pz IV, 5x Bef-Pz

Gruppe Oberst Medem - A Mixed unit with the assignment to conquer the Bridge at Dirschau

The so called "Grenzschutz-Abschnitts-Kommandos" usually had Border and/or Landwehr regiments under their command, as a lot of those regiments are missing too and should be added to the game the "Grenzschutz-Abschnitts-Kommando" could be used as corps HQ with the regiments attached to them.
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 1 - Held the border north of 4. Armee up to the coast.
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 2 - Held a stretch of the border south of 4. Armee
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 3 - Attached to VIII. Korps, I don't know its position but I assume it held a line south of Ratibor likely between VIII. & XVII. Korps
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12 - Held a stretch south of Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 2
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 13 - Held a stretch south of Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 14 - Held a stretch south of Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 13
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 15 - Held the border between XXI. & I Korps
Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 30 - HQ was in Brünn what seems to far away to have seen any action in "Case White", 4 of its Border Regiments did not even mobilize. Only combat units were: III./100(1. GD), III./135(45. ID), I./137(2. GD)

Here are the missing "Grenzwacht-Regiments":
Grz. Rgt. 1 - Attached to 3. Armee, originally attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 15, held stretch along the Vistula between 21. Infantry Division and Gruppe Medem
Grz. Rgt. 3 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12
Grz. Rgt. 11 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 15
Grz. Rgt. 13 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12
Grz. Rgt. 21 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 15
Grz. Rgt. 22 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 2
Grz. Rgt. 23 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12
Grz. Rgt. 31 - Attached to Korps Wodrig, held stretch West of Grz. Rgt. 41 along the border
Grz. Rgt. 41 - Attached to Gruppe Brand, held stretch South & South-West of Lyck along the border
Grz. Rgt. 51 - Seems to have been part of the Festungstruppen Königsberg, as we have a Fortress Division this unit may can be left out
Grz. Rgt. 52 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 2
Grz. Rgt. 58 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 3
Grz. Rgt. 61 - Seems to have been part of the Festungstruppen Königsberg, as we have a Fortress Division this unit may can be left out
Grz. Rgt. 68 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 3
Grz. Rgt. 78 - Attached to 10. Armee
Grz. Rgt. 88 - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 14
Grz. Rgt. 98 - Data unclear, either attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 3 or Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 14
Grz. Rgt. 152 - Seems to have been part of the Festungstruppen Königsberg, as we have a Fortress Division this unit may can be left out
Grz. Rgt. Crossen - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12
Grz. Rgt. Meseritz - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12
Grz. Rgt. Schwerin - Attached to Grz.Abschn.Kdo. 12

2. Slovakian Division - No clue what the TOE was but there were 3 Slovakian Infantry Divisions used, although the Slovakian forces didn't move very far into Polish territory

Slovakian "schnelle Abteilung" - 1 tank bat., 1 bicycle bat., 1 horsed cavalry bat.

For now I left out: Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment(4,5,161,162,183), Stellungs-Abschnitt(128,138,148), MG-Bat.(6-9,15), Panzerabwehr-Abt. (mot)(511,521,560,561,563,605,611), I'm not sure if these units should be incorporated as no other similar type is in the game.
Also: Pz.Aufkl.Lehr-Abt., Aufkl.Abt. 1(mot) as I'm not really sure if these are the correct designations of those two units, besides having almost none info about them at all.

Artillery was completely left out, as that area needs a revision at all starting with correct ranges for the different artillery pieces, for example the usual 10,5cm Feldhaubitze had ranges at best up to 10.5km and the 15cm Feldhaubitze up to 13km so a range of 20km = 2 hexes seems to much for all except some heavy artillery pieces that were likely attached to corps and/or army and not on divisional level.

Main sources:
-"Das Deutsche Reich und der Zweite Weltkrieg" Band 2
-Niehorsters "World War II Armed Forces – Orders of Battle and Organizations" http://www.orbat.com/site/ww2/drleo/011 ... 9-oob.html
-Tessins "Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945"
BigDuke66

RE: Missing German Units

Post by BigDuke66 »

I now checked the situation maps on the Western Front and there is a good map from the 25.9. that shows only 62. & 73 Infantry Div., 3. Mountain Div. are there already at that date so we can assume that they already left the Polish campaign before the last "organized resistance" was wiped out.
Preferably an "event" should appear to let the player choose some divisions to reinforce the Western Font but I have no clue if the engine can handle that, so maybe those 3 divisions could be left out from the start for simplicity.
But the rest should really be added especially in the light of the Polish emergency regiments, with bad luck you have to face a lot of them and 9 missing divisions were most of them are reserves would be the right thing to counter this.
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Attached here is the German Army OOB for Case White as calc file, rename the extension from txt to ods and it should work on most office suites.

PS Reworked the file and uploaded it again, so please download again if you had downloaded already.
Attachments
German Cas..hite OOB.txt
(15.17 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

Follow up to this is that the 50. Infantrie-Division could be changed to use Reservist as that Division was formed shortly before the war from Landwehr Regiments.

I have also remade the OOB so please download it again in case you already did, you can find it in my former post.

Return to “Historical Issues”