Human Wave: Perturabo vs. the AI

Share reports of your greatest triumphs and most humiliating defeats here.
Perturabo

Human Wave: Perturabo vs. the AI

Post by Perturabo »

I decided to post an AAR from my mod in progress.

The action happens in Centralia where two clans battle for supremacy in the region.
One clan uses pretty standard Infantry Based OPFOR Rifle Platoon organization (except for 12 men squads and lack of RPO and other advanced weapons). It has a HMG and 3 groups of clan civilians recruited to help in battle.

The other clan is pretty weird - They have three 12-man rifle squads led by a Warlord, and two other Warlords, each leading three 15-man martyr squads.

Both sides brought their big guns - both clans have 3 artillery strikes and the second clan has preliminary bombardment.

The first clan defends a small village and the second clan attacks.

I set up most of my troops in open, positioning my MMGs as a squad to concentrate their firepower.
I hid the sniper and HMG in houses. Also, I ordered civilians to dig some trenches.

I used all artillery bombardments to disrupt the enemy advance and produce some casualties.
The enemy used only one artillery strike and managed to kill only one soldier.

My MMG squad massacred one of the martyr squads.

Other enemy units started sneaking towards my right flank.

Units attacking my right wing lost 3 men to my sniper and were met with concentrated fire from 2 rifle squads.

I lost sight of my enemies, while they still fired upon me. I was forced to send assault teams to find them.

The sacrifice of assault teams paid off and I was able to fire at the enemy again. Meanwhile, my sniper was firing at their warlord.

At my right wing, my units made contact with the enemy horde.

They retreated to trenches and fought from their cover.

Finally, I managed to annihilate the enemy forces that were attacking my left wing.

Forces on my right wing meet the same fate.

I sent my workers to arm themselves and prepare new positions. I decided to entrench my part of the map in order to both stop the enemy and minimize my casualties (assaulting without seeing the enemy units would be a suicide).

Rest of the enemy forces was guarding the river crossing.

My MMGs moved to the new positions.

I managed to sneak my sniper close to the enemy positions. He killed some martyrs with his AK-47.

When I knew where are most of the enemy units, I decided to change my plans and start an assault in order to completely destroy the enemy.

I used MMG squad, HMG team and armed workers to gain fire superiority and moved two rifle squads to assault positions.

And then the time ran out just before the final assault.

Conclusions: The AI failed to use all of it's artillery support, including the preliminary barrage - it could cripple some of my units and possibly eliminate my workers, which wouldn't allow me to dig so many trenches.
The AI loses a lot because of its inability to (correctly) use features like support, digging in and transport vehicles.

I've noticed that one of the groups was trying to flank me after I annihilated one enemy squad.
I think that digging the trenches was a pretty smart move and saved my right flank from getting smashed.

The group on my left wing was just mindlessly crawling through the open and got completely wiped out.

Firefights were pretty intense with squads firing on the run and having to close to about 100-200 meters to be able to fire accurately. I remember sneaking up my sniper 40 meters to enemy unit to score some kills after running out of ammo for his Dragunov.

I was pretty satisfied with that scenario, I only regret that the AI didn't use more artillery and that I didn't turn off the time limit.
Neil N

RE: Human Wave: Perturabo vs. the AI

Post by Neil N »

Nice...I see that you are also using the small soldiers.
If it does not have a gun, it cannot be fun.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Very cool scenario Perturabo! [8D] Thanks for an excellent AAR! [&o]

EDIT: I'm surprised the AI only used the one artillery attack. [:(]
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Thanks[:)]. I'm glad you liked it[:)].
ORIGINAL: Neil N

I see that you are also using the small soldiers.
Yeah, after all, I'm their creator[;)].
ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

EDIT: I'm surprised the AI only used the one artillery attack. [:(]
It has some problems with using the support.
It never uses the preliminary bombardment and it seems to be pretty random when using arty. Also, it doesn't care about collateral damage. Sometimes it called an airstrike on a building which had both their and mine soldiers inside.

Return to “After Action Reports”