Newbie Guide to Naval Operations

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

DasTactic

RE: Newbie Guide to Naval Operations

Post by DasTactic »

TURN 40

ENEMY D TAKES WESTERN ISLAND

Enemy D has finally captured all the cities on the western island.

Meanwhile, our armored forces have taken the first of the western cities and Enemy B is on his last legs - just managing to hold on to one city in the east. Enemy C has also swung his forces west and we have had clashes in the western plains.

I've invested in fighters and now we are getting good reconnaissance reports. Enemy C has two army groups based on the two cities in the center of the island.

I've been trying to get reconnaissance of the western island to see what technology I may soon be facing, but Enemy D's forces have eluded our efforts.

Attachments
dsa_062.jpg
dsa_062.jpg (108.7 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

LVT stands for Landing Vehicle Tracked as I recall, it is a WW2 term, they are called AAVP now, I think that means Advanced Amphibious Vehicle Personnel?

A Marine subformation is as I recall about half again or a bit more capable of fighting Infantry. ( possibly twice as capable) I will have to look. They have more hitpoints as well. I did not change their other stats but I gave them 2 attacks and a strength of 2 in plains and Urban areas. I restrcited their usefulness by giving them a heavy penalty in readiness for moving much. I am probably going to lessen that a bit, right now moving one clear space drops them by about 30 readiness. Landing from ships does not drop readiness though. Marine I and II cost 750 production and III and IV cost 1000 production.

I call the units Regiments rather than divisions and I put 20 Marines, 2 mortors, 4 Machine guns and 4 Bazookas in each. 4 regiments to a division, 3 line and one artillery. The artillery regiment has 4 artillery and support forces ( marines and Machine guns and an AT gun and a Flak) the Line Regiment has a displayed strength at full readiness of around 107.

An LVT has a carry capacity of 15 and a weight of 5. It is classified as armor And has an ability to fight armor, it is however a frontline unit not a rear area unit.

Each Infantry Regiment has 2 LVT and I believe I put 5 LVT in the Artillery Regiment. LVT are expensive, 3500 hundred production for one. They can move at full speed over 2 water hexes and carry supply for 5 turns, though this gets adjusted obviously by the lesser supply capabilty of non Marine Units ( marines carry more supplies also)

I have to make one more adjustment for sure, right now the AI only buys Marines cause I left them at 100 for Infantry choice of buy. This means the AI, which does not understand the weakness of Marines has them only for all Infantry.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

Twotribes
A WW2 Marine unit was basically an  Infantry unit during WW2. What differentiated them was that they had some more amphib transport, maybe some more support weapons (FT, MGs..),a nd they were better trained to fight in jungle, island, etc. I don't see any reason to make them like W40K Space Marines, fighting twice better than normal, costing 7.5 times more and also getting exhausted more quickly (why that ??), they should just be more another specialized and reasonably more costly version of Infantry with bonuses in woods/jungle, like Paratroopers are currently. Same could be done for Mountain units.
PDF
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

@Twotribes

Ah, I hadn't understood that you had created your own unit designations. I thought your Marines were like my 'Storm Troopers' - just normal infantry buffed with attacking infantry such as mortars, infantry guns and bazookas.

Sounds cool. So you've got a modified master file.

btw, Wikipedia has a good article on LVT's. I'd never heard of them before.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Twotribes
A WW2 Marine unit was basically an Infantry unit during WW2. What differentiated them was that they had some more amphib transport, maybe some more support weapons (FT, MGs..),a nd they were better trained to fight in jungle, island, etc. I don't see any reason to make them like W40K Space Marines, fighting twice better than normal, costing 7.5 times more and also getting exhausted more quickly (why that ??), they should just be more another specialized and reasonably more costly version of Infantry with bonuses in woods/jungle, like Paratroopers are currently. Same could be done for Mountain units.

You would be wrong, but it does not matter, you play your game your way and I will play my game my way. Sound like an idea?
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

TURN 45

BLITZKRIEG

(A) Our armored spearhead supported by mobile artillery and motorized infantry sweep through undefended forest and out onto the southern plains. The tanks are now in their element. This blitz has cut the isthmus in two, severely hindering supply to the various armies now trapped in the northern portion of the island.

(B) Our original landing task-force moves slowly through the forests. The defensive divisions are no longer needed in a defensive role so they help mop up the small pockets of resistance.

(C) A new HQ has been setup on the original invasion port which has been given the title 'Port Authority'. Both the armored HQ and the task force HQ now report directly to the Port Authority. This allows the active HQs to be close to their troops, giving them the HQ bonus.

Still no movement from Enemy D on the western island. I have only seen armored cars and infantry with the fly-overs of his ports (at least, the ports that are within range).

Attachments
dsa_063.jpg
dsa_063.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 795 times
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Twotribes
A WW2 Marine unit was basically an Infantry unit during WW2. What differentiated them was that they had some more amphib transport, maybe some more support weapons (FT, MGs..),a nd they were better trained to fight in jungle, island, etc. I don't see any reason to make them like W40K Space Marines, fighting twice better than normal, costing 7.5 times more and also getting exhausted more quickly (why that ??), they should just be more another specialized and reasonably more costly version of Infantry with bonuses in woods/jungle, like Paratroopers are currently. Same could be done for Mountain units.

You would be wrong, but it does not matter, you play your game your way and I will play my game my way. Sound like an idea?

No, *you* are wrong, but I agree on the rest, let's stop hijacking this useful thread. [;)]
PDF
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

TURN 50

CONQUEST OF SOUTHERN ISLAND

Our forces pushed both Enemy B and Enemy C eastward into their respective remaining cities. The southern portion of the island fell very quickly once the mobility and power of the armored army flexed its might.

I have been monitoring Enemy D to try and figure out what technology he has invested in. The screen below shows the range of the fighter reconnaissance that I can conduct. So far the most advanced unit I have seen is a Machine Gun II unit. I have seen no armor other than armored cars.

If the recon is accurate then the western island will fall quickly once my forces land.

I am building a couple of battleship fleets and will see if they can spy on Enemy D's northern-most capital. If there isn't anything substantial I think I will declare myself the winner of this war.

Attachments
dsa_064.jpg
dsa_064.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 795 times
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

I've just moved a battleship next to Enemy D's home port and it only housed cargoships, SMG's, Rifles and MachineGun II's.

There is nothing really to be gained now by playing out the rest of the game. From what I can see, once our superior forces land it will be very simple to take control.

So I think I'll stop this guide/AAR here.

Thanks for your comments and perspectives [:)]
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Twotribes

No, *you* are wrong, but I agree on the rest, let's stop hijacking this useful thread. [;)]
Funny, The only Hijack would be you. Since all I did is post my style and then respond to direct questions.
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

das123, it appears you were correct from the very beginning by expecting the western island to be taken over. Great AAR and example of how to do a naval invasion with minimal loss, I think this thread (and daves) should be stickied.
-Warspite3-
Vic

Post by Vic »

Agreed
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
DasTactic

Post by DasTactic »

ORIGINAL: Warspite3

das123, it appears you were correct from the very beginning by expecting the western island to be taken over...

Thanks Warspite3. To be honest I thought Enemy F would have been the one to take the western island. Not Enemy D. [;)]
balto

5 star AAR

Post by balto »

Hey man, I have been following the Grisby Civil War thread for several months waiting for it to come out.  But the past three days, I have been studying the Adv Tac Forum.  I have read your AAR twice.  Man, I am getting this.  I hope you become the official MATRIX AAR guy.  Thank you.

PS - I hope you do an AAR on Grisby's Civil War, you definitely have a nack for this, my friend.
GwynethEirian

Post by GwynethEirian »

That's great new. Thanks everyone!

Return to “After Action Reports”