Noumea gambit opening

WarPlan Pacific is an operational level wargame which covers all the nations at war in the Pacific theatre from December 1941 to 1945 on a massive game scale.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

ncc1701e

Noumea gambit opening

Post by ncc1701e »

That's what I am calling it. :D

Reproduced in hotseat mode. Moving this naval stack in Fleet mode. There is no risk at all since all Allies planes are damaged and cannot intercept anyway. The only ship around is the Canberra CA than even in Raider mode is interdicted and sunk.

End result is that Noumea is under port blockade on turn one.
Noumea 1.JPG
Noumea 1.JPG (125.79 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Noumea 2.JPG
Noumea 2.JPG (92.21 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Noumea 3.JPG
Noumea 3.JPG (86.17 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Re: Noumea gambit opening

Post by ncc1701e »

On the Allies turn, I can bring the USA infantry division in Pago Pago into the port of Noumea. Just trying to form a small corps. But I can't disembark it since Noumea is under port blockade.

On the Japanese turn, perform a naval invasion near Noumea.

The Allies can bring the last ship in range to cancel the port blockade.
Noumea 4.JPG
Noumea 4.JPG (77.87 KiB) Viewed 944 times

Noumea 5.JPG
Noumea 5.JPG (92.83 KiB) Viewed 944 times

Noumea 6.JPG
Noumea 6.JPG (66.56 KiB) Viewed 944 times
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Whatever you do on turn 2 or on turn 3, even if you succeed to cancel the port blockade, you can't reinforce the infantry division located in Noumea. The infantry division from Pago Pago can't disembark since there are no hexes left to do so.

And since Pago Pago infantry is not in garrison mode, the merge won't work right away anyway.
Noumea 7.JPG
Noumea 7.JPG (104.86 KiB) Viewed 942 times

Noumea 8.JPG
Noumea 8.JPG (87.23 KiB) Viewed 942 times

Noumea 9.JPG
Noumea 9.JPG (85.27 KiB) Viewed 942 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

So, several things I would like to comment:

1. For one hex islands or for this type of situation where all hexes are blocked, preventing disembarking, it seems to me there is a missing function that is to "disembark and merge" into a port. If this is the same kind of unit, that the merge is possible (i.e. both in garrison or active mode), that there is no port blockade, this new button (an anchor with a plus) should allow it.

One hex islands may be reinforced this way without spending landing ships.
Proposal.JPG
Proposal.JPG (78.98 KiB) Viewed 939 times
2. Losing Noumea is a big blow for Allies. The only unit with engineer is lost meaning port upgrades are delayed for few months the time to replace the specialty. Also, this is a port level 6 for Japan. From it, they can do all the needed port blockade while the Allies won't recover effectiveness lost at sea easily.

I think it would be better to put Noumea at port level 3 or 4 at start and allow it to upgrade to 5 like the other upgradeable ports. This way if Japan takes it, they will have to upgrade it.

Any thoughts??
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I think I have find a solution. This game is like chess. Each move on turn one must be carefully executed. And I think I have find one move that will prevent Noumea to fall.

Still for one hex island, I still think that a "disembark and merge" function into a port is a good idea. But, since Japanese can't merge divisions only half armies, this is an advantage for Allies. So better to do nothing.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

Keep in mind IF the Axis do this...it would mean somewhere else they are not guarding, which could be good or bad.

As well leaves a carrier in a dangerous spot, with little if any support.

I would move the NZ and Aus air to the north of the island within range to attack the fleet.
Add to that it allows you to air transport and keep the unit in supply.

Then move the remaining US navy ships down to intercept.
The Japanese only have a CVL which can't hit much...and the efficiency is tanking.
Also Japanese oil will be continuing to take a hit...

NOW I have not played the Allies yet...just messed around with them.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

I think I have a defense if you want to try it out...
We can just focus here...but keep in mind the Japanese still have to do their normal move...if they just send the entire IJN to the Solomons they will be able to take it.
But they will run out of oil so it will not matter.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Well, Japanese are far from running out of oil in this game:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 6&t=384906

Also Allies start with planes at 5/20 strength so very difficult to do anything with them.
stjeand

Post by stjeand »

Well had you held Palembang a bit longer, he did not take all the DEI territory and that would have crushed his oil reserves.
But you need rain in the DEI.

Not staying there is not a counter to the counter but you never know until you try.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Alvaro,

Is it really your objective to allow Japanese player to perform a port blockade of Noumea the very first turn i.e. December 7th, 1941? The Japanese player has insight. He knows perfectly there is nothing preventing him to do it. Only damaged ships and planes are in range.

Here is the situation at turn one i.e. December 7th, 1941:
Noumea turn 1.JPG
Noumea turn 1.JPG (65.64 KiB) Viewed 722 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Here is the situation at turn two i.e. December 21st, 1941:
Noumea turn 2.JPG
Noumea turn 2.JPG (105.49 KiB) Viewed 719 times

I have managed to perform an air resupply mission to avoid the US unit to just collapse.
Noumea turn 2b.JPG
Noumea turn 2b.JPG (91.99 KiB) Viewed 719 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

And, on turn three, the invasion i.e. January 4th, 1942:
Noumea turn 3.JPG
Noumea turn 3.JPG (116.24 KiB) Viewed 716 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Today, I found the game pretty balanced. The definition of balance for me is that Japan can expand toward their historical lines and can threaten communication channels in South Pacific. India is well balanced now with the new Royal Navy OOB. Here, Japan player is cautious because they are carriers around.

And, on the other side, Allies can't do very much except slowing down the Japanese until mid 1943. Even the fact that Allies have transports at the beginning is not a problem. If they are overextending, they can be treated with port blockade and they will lose.

Balance for me is created by Japan having plenty of options to resist until 1945.

But near Noumea, there is nothing that the Allies can do during the first three turn of the game.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Why the capture of Noumea is so important and why it creates an inbalance for me?

Well, the big problem is that Noumea is a port level 6. And, as you know, starting with port level 5, ships can be repaired there. And since this is a major port, any number of naval groups may be supplied there.

Moreover, with the naval effectiveness loss from port distance rule, having a port level 6 for cheap is a super important thing for Japan.

It allows the Japanese to stack a big fleet there that can attack the South Pacific convoy lane each turn. They can also perform port blockade of all the small islands around. Given the low number of planes for the Allies, this is hard to defend early.

I am not against the fact Japan can capture Noumea. If they want to overextend, they can. The problem here is that they are not again due to this port level 6.

Checking history and the US base located there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Base_Noumea

Historically, there were no engineers at this time in Noumea i.e. December 7th, 1941. According to wikipedia, only in July and August 1942 Seabees arrived and began building the Naval Base.

Also a large convoy depart Naval Base Noumea for Guadalcanal on November 8, 1942 only. And, Admiral Robert L. Ghormley moved his headquarters to Naval Base Noumea on August 1, 1942 only.

Port level 6 for Noumea is much too early in the game imo.
port level 6.JPG
port level 6.JPG (118.02 KiB) Viewed 712 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

How to solve?

There are plenty of options to solve this.

First, I would reduce Noumea to port level 3 or port level 4. I would add Noumea in the list of upgradeable ports. Like this, Noumea can be a port level 5 at the end. Port level 5 or port level 6, really it does not matter.

Second, I would remove the Engineer specialty to this US unit.
Engineer.JPG
Engineer.JPG (77.74 KiB) Viewed 710 times

According to my calculation, US can get their very first specialty in February 15th, 1942. It can be an engineer or something else. In any case, it will delay port upgrade for Allies.
114 points on February 1942.JPG
114 points on February 1942.JPG (80.69 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Last edited by ncc1701e on Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Third, if you are just moving this stack to hex 73, 49. It will prevent the port blockade on turn one since only two DD groups remain in range of Noumea and 3 ships are needed.
Starting position.JPG
Starting position.JPG (107.9 KiB) Viewed 709 times
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

With the new position, this stack will still be in range to invade Rabaul on turn one if needed.
In range of Rabaul.JPG
In range of Rabaul.JPG (199.47 KiB) Viewed 707 times

But, as you can see, they are missing one hex to be in range of Noumea on turn one. It would allow some reinforcements to arrive. But, again, the important thing for me is to reduce Noumea port level at the beginning.
no more in range of Noumea.JPG
no more in range of Noumea.JPG (228.8 KiB) Viewed 707 times
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I build up port is a pretty good option. I think even in WitP it isn't a large port at the start of the game. But then the Japanese go after the other large port instead in the area.

What might be better is to put port activation restrictions like I have in the game for other ports.

WP2 supply will be different. I am leaning on having a physical transport phase of supply subject to interception. The tough part is working out the path that is farthest away from the coast, thus lowest DL, and still gets there.

This way it will be intuitive on why you can't take a port in the middle of somewhere you don't control the surrounding bases.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

There might be some restrictions already, not sure.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

AlvaroSousa wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:17 pm WP2 supply will be different. I am leaning on having a physical transport phase of supply subject to interception. The tough part is working out the path that is farthest away from the coast, thus lowest DL, and still gets there.

This way it will be intuitive on why you can't take a port in the middle of somewhere you don't control the surrounding bases.
That would be great indeed for WP2.

Return to “Warplan Pacific”