What Do Orange Unit Icons Mean?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Ascension125Gaming

What Do Orange Unit Icons Mean?

Post by Ascension125Gaming »

What do orange unit icons mean?

I'm playing a scenario wherein another side's units (buildings, SAM sites, etc.) are orange. I'm wondering if this means they're neutral to some degree but not entirely.

Thanks.
Parel803

Re: What Do Orange Unit Icons Mean?

Post by Parel803 »

Good evening,
Not sure if I understand correctly. Do you mean posture "unfriendly"?
regards GJ
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

They're probably referring to Side posture color

Orange color is the posture of Unfriendly.

This when the side in question is not in a shooting war with you, but you're not friendly or neutral toward them ether. Think of opposing ships during a Cold War type standoff.

Under this posture, weapons cannot be fired, but OECM (jamming) can be conducted, there may also be aggressive maneuvering close in. It's the sort of posture used during crisis situations, first strikes, standoffs etc. Note that if you order a unit to engage an Orange unit, it will change to red (hostile) by default.

In the community scenario I'm running now, it's a 1973 Cold War crisis where I'm tasked to locate and maintain a fix on a pair of Soviet Nuclear Missile Submarines. The posture toward those subs (and other Soviets in the area, by my choice) is to be Unfriendly.

For reference:

Red- Is for HOSTILE (i.e. Weapons free)

Green is for Neutral (biologics included), personally I think some scenarios use Neutral on some sides when Unfriendly is more appropriate.

Blue is friendly/allied/own side

Yellow is unknown
Ascension125Gaming

I believe so. This is the scenario "119 Squadron Makes a Little Noise, 2021", so that makes sense. The Syrian units (structures) are orange.

I'm asking because I didn't know if they would fire on my aircraft without warning or if I could "safely" perform air recon and CAP nearby without having to carry out SEAD first.
Parel803 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:11 pm Good evening,
regards GJ
Ascension125Gaming

Thank you! I think this answers my question!
HalfLifeExpert wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:34 pm They're probably referring to Side posture color

Orange color is the posture of Unfriendly.

This when the side in question is not in a shooting war with you, but you're not friendly or neutral toward them ether. Think of opposing ships during a Cold War type standoff.

Under this posture, weapons cannot be fired, but OECM (jamming) can be conducted, there may also be aggressive maneuvering close in. It's the sort of posture used during crisis situations, first strikes, standoffs etc. Note that if you order a unit to engage an Orange unit, it will change to red (hostile) by default.

In the community scenario I'm running now, it's a 1973 Cold War crisis where I'm tasked to locate and maintain a fix on a pair of Soviet Nuclear Missile Submarines. The posture toward those subs (and other Soviets in the area, by my choice) is to be Unfriendly.

For reference:

Red- Is for HOSTILE (i.e. Weapons free)

Green is for Neutral (biologics included), personally I think some scenarios use Neutral on some sides when Unfriendly is more appropriate.

Blue is friendly/allied/own side

Yellow is unknown
Saxham358

Post by Saxham358 »

Ascension125Gaming wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:02 pm I believe so. This is the scenario "119 Squadron Makes a Little Noise, 2021", so that makes sense. The Syrian units (structures) are orange.

I'm asking because I didn't know if they would fire on my aircraft without warning or if I could "safely" perform air recon and CAP nearby without having to carry out SEAD first.
Parel803 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:11 pm Good evening,
regards GJ
It's worth bearing in mind that the icon colours indicate how you regard them. So an orange marker means that you've instructed your units to consider them unfriendly - but there's no way of telling their attitude toward you except by their actions. For example, if they start shooting at you, you can safely assume that they're hostile toward you, likewise once you start shooting at them.

The scenario designer might give you that information in the form of intelligence reports to tell you whether or not they consider you hostile. But, of course, that might change, or just be plain wrong!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Also, depending on the scenario designer using Collective Responsibility, it can be anywhere from an isolated incident to starting WW3. So pay attention to what is written and who you shoot at.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”