New player and completely lost

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

krakowca

New player and completely lost

Post by krakowca »

I bought this game and ready to dive right into it, but to be honest, the amount of stuff in this game is daunting to say the least.

I did play the old War in Russia a lot, so I familiar with some concepts. However, this is completely overwhelming. I do have the large printed version of the manual.

Where do I begin?
Is there a sequence of play to start with?
Is there a step by step guide to getting me started?
Is there a list of things to do each turn so that I don't forget something important?

Sorry for the basic questions, but this is not a game for the faint of heart.
tm1

Re: New player and completely lost

Post by tm1 »

krakowca wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:46 pm I bought this game and ready to dive right into it, but to be honest, the amount of stuff in this game is daunting to say the least.

I did play the old War in Russia a lot, so I familiar with some concepts. However, this is completely overwhelming. I do have the large printed version of the manual.

Where do I begin?
Is there a sequence of play to start with?
Is there a step by step guide to getting me started?
Is there a list of things to do each turn so that I don't forget something important?

Sorry for the basic questions, but this is not a game for the faint of heart.
Hi
Yes its huge if you decide to play your first campaign against the AI rather than do a smaller scenario.
There are however good tutorial scenarios you can play I think Road to Velikie Luki is one its on page 15 of the book, just play the game on easy for a couple times.

On page 17 chapter 4 there is some great guides on basic game play to help, you may have already read that section.
When i first started playing I had trouble with my supply so focus on setting up your depot system.
I would let the AI control your Air force if your only going to ever play the AI if you intend to do P v P games then you will need to learn how to prepare your air force but should a long way off for now.

I don't know which side you play but I am speaking as a Axis player I should point out.

Again I will say for the Axis one of the key issues is setting up your supply and if you lose to the AI no big deal just start again.

regards
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

If you like watching videos, there are some tutorial on you tube, like those posted by Teo41_ITA.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 9#p5108379
CaedusZ

Post by CaedusZ »

First of all: welcome here!

When I was in your position, I started playing as soviets in the Grand Campaign against normal AI, setting it to challenging shortly after because I like to suffer. I focussed on the ground war, having read the manual thoroughly once and then looking at important chapters as the time arised to implement them in the game. Playing as soviets leaves you with enough room for errors, so even by not playing perfectly you should be able to make it to and past the first winter in quite a historical fashion. My reccomendation is to build depots manually instead of letting the AI handle it, it's not that hard and you will quickly see what works and what not. However I pretty much ignored the air war for my first games against the AI and even my first low skill pvp-match, just starting to acquiring the skills now against a high intermediate player - IMO this saves you a lot of headache when trying to get into the game without cutting in your success too much, at least against AI.

I highly recommend you joining the discord to ask questions there or look for answers other newer players had in the past, as well as working primarely with the living manual as it contains the information for the newer patches. The older one might be outdated in some chapters.
Besides that: Have fun trying stuff and learn from your mistakes rather than looking at the numbers you don't understand yet too much. Even after a lot of time you will make mistakes in some way or the other and for learning purpuses you gain more experience by playing more turns to see the outcome of decisions than by wasting a long time thinking about two options you can't correctly evaluate with your current knowledge.

For the checklist at turn's end you might find some inspiration here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 4#p5108234
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

Der Kuenstler also created several screen guides.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 5#p5105555

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”