How to save fuel as the Axis

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

ShaggyHiK

Re: How to save fuel as the Axis

Post by ShaggyHiK »

At the same time, the complete immobilization of the Wehrmacht will never happen, Germany also has an internal production of fuel, which will enable it to receive this same fuel in the troops even when everything is bad, but the strength of the divisions will never be the same again.
RedJohn

Post by RedJohn »

I've never noticed fuel being an issue, having played a game to turn 118 before resigning.

Relevant productions:
turn 118
turn 85
turn 60

It's possible we're looking the wrong place, it's a complex game after all. But I've literally never noticed fuel being an issue (except where supply itself is an issue).
ShaggyHiK

Post by ShaggyHiK »

You don't see 68% or what? You have problems, but to see how it affects you have to pay attention to your divisions, and not just look at the screen of this statistics. Divisions that have received less fuel perform worse in battle. Loosing more items.

You had losses in aircraft production.

And you have fuel problems. You don't have enough fuel to supply all 100% of your divisions. I would say that with the active movement of participating in battles with all available divisions, you will see how your fuel indicators will start to drop and you will not see divisions with more than 60% of the requirement, especially if it is without respite.

At the same time, it is obvious that if you move minimally, then fuel in the troops can even be accumulated and have a good margin of safety if you need to respond to Soviet actions.

In addition, if there is nowhere to take fuel, then your aviation sorties will begin to be canceled and suffer heavy losses.
ShaggyHiK

Post by ShaggyHiK »

F for 10 Panzergrenadier Div
RedJohn

Post by RedJohn »

ShaggyHiK wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:19 pm You don't see 68% or what? You have problems, but to see how it affects you have to pay attention to your divisions, and not just look at the screen of this statistics. Divisions that have received less fuel perform worse in battle. Loosing more items.

You had losses in aircraft production.

And you have fuel problems. You don't have enough fuel to supply all 100% of your divisions. I would say that with the active movement of participating in battles with all available divisions, you will see how your fuel indicators will start to drop and you will not see divisions with more than 60% of the requirement, especially if it is without respite.

At the same time, it is obvious that if you move minimally, then fuel in the troops can even be accumulated and have a good margin of safety if you need to respond to Soviet actions.

In addition, if there is nowhere to take fuel, then your aviation sorties will begin to be canceled and suffer heavy losses.
I suppose to clarify the divisions that weren't near full fuel, were ones that were either hit that turn or were isolated.
RedJohn

Post by RedJohn »

As one can see.

I think it's evident, actually, by the fact that not a single division has met the criteria of "no fuel", no?

Supply issues are always a result of no trucks, or not enough freight, never enough fuel.
ShaggyHiK

Post by ShaggyHiK »

img dont work
RedJohn

Post by RedJohn »

ShaggyHiK wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:08 pm img dont work
Oops, I deleted the discord channel they were uploaded to is why I think they stopped working. I forget exactly what I posted but I took some more screenshots.

This shows what units were isolated that turn, and thus I will exclude them from the list as, well, they were isolated.

Let's say 80% fuel is the cutoff rate, and let's look at every division below that as of turn 118.

F for the 10th PZG as you say, but probably because it received 9.5k men in replacements. You'll note that for every single division I show that not once does the game stipulate I am out of fuel on the supply screen. We know that reinforcing divisions often leaves them at low supply thereafter as the freight was used up.

The LAH SS PZG similarly received a glut of men.

The Das Reich I couldn't really explain, I guess it received tank replacements? That's the only explanation I can give as to why 81 replacements took up 1500 freight.

The Grossdeutschland held off a Soviet attack this turn, and it looks to have received no supplies in general. Even that unit is sitting at a cool 64% fuel however.
1st pzD received what I again assume is tank replacements, hence the exorbitant freight it's eating.
20th pzD received 40% of it's fuel requirements, alongside 1k freight replacements.
14th pzD received 4k freight in replacements and 43% of it's fuel requirements.
24th pzD seems to have lacked freight (and also shed damaged elements?)
26th I believe the depot ran out of freight, but it doesn't stipulate it so not sure. Still sitting at 77% fuel however.
16th pzGD received 1.3k freight in replacements, as well as 24% of it's fuel requirements.
2nd pzD received 32% of it's fuel requirements. Like the 26th, the depot it was pulling from had was freight spent.

So tell me, please, where are the fuel issues? I see copious amounts of truck and supply issues, but I don't see my forces running out of fuel.

Turn 118
Turn 60.

I actually have more fuel in my units than I did 60 turns prior, after 60 turns of wheeling and dealing.

I don't know what's historical or what's intended, but from the information I have available to me at this time I'm quite confident in stating that for 41/42/43, fuel doesn't matter for the axis. Perhaps it matters in 44/45, perhaps when Romania falls - until then, however, the only thing that limits axis MPs are trucks being nuked.
ShaggyHiK

Post by ShaggyHiK »

I think that this is primarily due to the fact that your divisions do not actually spend as much fuel as they could.
You do not perform actions that take a lot of fuel, in any case, your fuel production is most likely about 180 thousand tons per turn.
The need for your divisions is most likely about 30-40 thousand tons if you need to replenish from 0% to 100%.

At the same time, the need for your industry is much higher than 180 thousand tons, start making deep marches into enemy territory (which is very expensive fuel), without a deep separation from your supply bases and most likely you will see how your divisions cannot replenish their fuel being at a fuel level of 40-60% at best.

If the logistics phase gives priority to supplying tank divisions with fuel, then you will see how your production values ​​decrease.

One way or another, the fuel crisis does not mean that Axis has run out of fuel, it means that fuel production is not enough to cover all needs.
And in real life, this meant a logistics problem, because. it doesn't work instantly.

Imagine you are the commander of a tank division. You need 100 tons of fuel to fill your tanks to full tanks. You make an order to the ministry, in a week it sends you 90 tons. other competing structures, the industry, the fleet / other divisions also require fuel for their needs, but some time has passed from the moment of request to the moment of receipt and it turns out that the already requested 100 tons are not enough and you need 350 tons. received many orders to move.

Not to mention other variables, such as the lack of fuel tanks to transport fuel.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”