What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dabrion

RE: What Do You Think Needs to be in World In Flames PC Game

Post by Dabrion »

touche ;) Ill file that as another small print rant...

Could you give one more of your "caveat emptor biac!" statements? Or Warspite perhaps?!
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

I just bought it too, after watching the video tutorials and seeing an AI option there. Never thought it wouldn't have a programmed opponent and didn't notice the 'small print'. Oh well, it will take me quite a while to master this thing so I can wait for the AI option I hear is coming.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

My condolence!
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

touche ;) Ill file that as another small print rant...

Could you give one more of your "caveat emptor biac!" statements? Or Warspite perhaps?!
warspite1

Sure, if that's what you want [;)]

When making a purchase its up to the buyer to check what he's buying. Matrix have made clear in the product page there is no AI, there is no PBEM - this is not hidden, please see post 760 - and, to the right of that, they advise in bold and italics, that any potential purchaser should read a forum post (to which they provide the link) re the state of multiplayer. In addition, even the most cursory glance at the MWIF Forum (as of 2/2/14) you will see the following threads:

- No Patch today?
- Moved Bugs during Netplay global war air supply causing hang up of
- Moved Bugs during Netplay global war naval movement causing hang up
- Net play where are we?

In addition there is the Tech Support forum. Again, no time consuming reading required, just a cursory look at thread titles:

- netplay issue
- Netplay bug when overrunning ships
- air to air combat error
- barbarossa scenario - can't proceed to next phase
etc etc etc

Alternatively you could have a quick peek at the last posts of the After Action Reports. How many have come to a halt through bugs?

Given all of the above, then yes, I would say that anyone purchasing the game from Matrix is getting what they were correctly sold.

Is that what you wanted?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
pwncake111

Post by pwncake111 »

@Primarchx, LOL i had the same problem as you did, didn't read the little part saying NO IA. Because i have seen turorials and screenshots with the IA option, that is why i purchased the game.
Then started it and found no option, searching thru the articles didn't find anything about the IA. Until this post. So this means they are trying to implement IA OR NOT? Another question is about the rules, when i see the posts or video's all options can be turned on , but when i start a new game several options are greyed out. like V weapons ,ZOC, and some more, how do i turn those options on??
For the rest really like the game sofar, big learning experience and i have to get used to play all the sides.
jardail

Post by jardail »

I expect a company that i have dealt with for years to do some basic things. When I have to start second guessing them as to what they are including in a game, then it's time for me to stop doing business with them. That also IS an option. I am expressing my opinion, as was asked. If you do not like my opinion don't read it or ignore it.

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

ORIGINAL: Leatherneck_MT

An AI to play against would be nice. Imagine my surprise when I purchased this thing and was going through the tutorial videos, saw that the tutorial had an AI mode, but the actual game does not.

I've rarely if ever felt screwed by MG. But this one.. yeah, I would not have paid 100.00 for a game that had no AI option. This needs to be put back in. Playing both ends against the middle is, in a word Bovine Excrement.
If you read what you were buying - where it says what the product includes, on the Matrix page where you start the buying process - and then you bought it anyway?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The AI will be provided later. See tm.asp?m=2424874&mpage=2� Post #47

Not all options were in the initial release, see Players Manual, Volume 1, pages 4,5 and 6.
Paul
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

I wish there was an option to provide payment later..
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I there was an option to provide payment later..
We take back the compliments about your English.
Paul
jardail

Post by jardail »

[/quote]
If you read what you were buying - where it says what the product includes, on the Matrix page where you start the buying process - and then you bought it anyway?
[/quote]

Really?

Attachments
noainop..bullshit.jpg
noainop..bullshit.jpg (383.48 KiB) Viewed 197 times
jardail

Post by jardail »

Well that's some good news.

The AI will be provided later. See tm.asp?m=2424874&mpage=2� Post #47

Not all options were in the initial release, see Players Manual, Volume 1, pages 4,5 and 6.
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

I there was an option to provide payment later..
We take back the compliments about your English.

Are you starting to troll me? Grand!
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

No more so than you have done to most others throughout this thread.
Paul
Viktor_Kormel_slith

Post by Viktor_Kormel_slith »

Maybe, in a far future, I would like no restrictions, except by the total manpower for each nation, in the mix of the counters. For example, Why the germans only can produce one marine corps or a limited number of CV? And the same for other nations. In the board game have sense cause you are limited by the real counter mix but in MWIF there is no such limitation. Maybe would be necessary some kind of extra building costs to simulate the researching efforts but it would not be very complex to code. With this option, MWIF would get another new plethora of strategies posibilities...
I think it would be very fun! Imagine a dreadful combined Kriegsmarine!
Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!
pwncake111

Post by pwncake111 »

Hi paulderynck, thank you for the link, i see we are going to use 4 scenario's with the IAO. Nice, it is just strange when you see on youtube the movies they have all the options available like ZOG etc.. but when you buy the game you cannot use it. Would it not be better to show the movies with the current version you buy?
For the rest keep up the good work, i see a new update and i know these games are getting improved by every update.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: pwncake111

Hi paulderynck, thank you for the link, i see we are going to use 4 scenario's with the IAO. Nice, it is just strange when you see on youtube the movies they have all the options available like ZOG etc.. but when you buy the game you cannot use it. Would it not be better to show the movies with the current version you buy?
For the rest keep up the good work, i see a new update and i know these games are getting improved by every update.
Most (9 of the 12) of the tutorial videos were made in 2009. I did go back and rerecord 2 of them (#1 and #6) last year, but the other 7 contain elements that did not make the first released version in November 2013. It took a lot of time and effort to record the videos and I decided that it was more important to work on other aspects of the game.

I should point out that when I recorded the videos I expected them to only available to customers who bought the game. Many people said they should be put on YouTube, so we did that.

I apologize for some of their inaccuracies, which range in size from small (calling Switzerland Sweden), to fairly large (the Scrap Unit digression was eliminated from the game, with all destroyed units now scrapped as a group immediately prior to the Production phase at the end of the turn). And there are a lot of small deviations which others have complained about (e.g., the AI Opponent mode of play shown as a choice on the Start New Game form).
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Horaf_1

Post by Horaf_1 »

I'd like to see a more dynamic host in Netplay. By this I mean a situation where a game is hosted, and can be joined by any invited player, without that player having the saved game file. Let the host computer send the necessary files to the other players. This will enable games to continue if one player drops out. It will also enable games to be picked up by different player in interesting situations (or tournament situations from a certain marked spot).

It would also remove what I foresee will be a cumbersome process of making sure 6 players are all joining the exact same phase, with the exact same ID number.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Freychris

I'd like to see a more dynamic host in Netplay. By this I mean a situation where a game is hosted, and can be joined by any invited player, without that player having the saved game file. Let the host computer send the necessary files to the other players. This will enable games to continue if one player drops out. It will also enable games to be picked up by different player in interesting situations (or tournament situations from a certain marked spot).

It would also remove what I foresee will be a cumbersome process of making sure 6 players are all joining the exact same phase, with the exact same ID number.
I should be able to address the problems you identify - although not necessarily in the manner you proposed. The problems do need a 'happy' solution.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

The ability to merge saved oil into 1 counter.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
rdw5150

Post by rdw5150 »

Hi!

Just bought the game (and I went into it knowing that there was no AI nor PBEM).

I would say that I would much rather have PBEM ability than AI at this point. AIs are always hard to pull off and in a game this complicated getting a suitable AI would be real hard.

I am pretty bummed that there is no PBEM (once again I knew it going in) though. It would seem that PBEM would be much more doable than AI. Maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part.[:D]

I am hoping for PBEM in the (near as possible) future as I think the game would get more play.

Peace

Roger
"once in a while
you get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right"
-j.garcia/r.hunter

Return to “World in Flames”