The new ASW routines

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

cyberwop36

The new ASW routines

Post by cyberwop36 »

Since ASW routine was changed,[1.605 ?] I don't think a single sub has been sunk by either side, about 4 or 5 months of game time for me. I've had a many get damaged but none sunk.

The old system may have been way to bloody but the new one may by bloodless.
Ron Saueracker

RE: The new ASW routines

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: cyberwop36

Since ASW routine was changed,[1.605 ?] I don't think a single sub has been sunk by either side, about 4 or 5 months of game time for me. I've had a many get damaged but none sunk.

The old system may have been way to bloody but the new one may by bloodless.

I think it's fine. In my game it is mid march and subs lost to depth charges are 1 Dutch sub and 4 Japanese subs. Considering the fairly infrequent sub combats, this is reasonable.

I think that the DC racks need to be split so that more DCs are dropped per attack. Right now only 1 per rack is dropped where IRL 2 or more were dropped.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
dereck

Post by dereck »

Pre-new ASW routine I'd have subs attack Jap ships and get away cleanly with some being damaged or sunk.

Post-new ASW routine EVERY time my submarines attacked Japanese ships they were either sunk or received 30+ SYS and/or float damage. Not once did I have a submarine get away without being mauled. Totally unrealistic.

I'm not talking air ASW routines but the fact that after the new routines it was impossible for me to conduct submarine warfare. This is despite the fact that I was playing my own scenario in which I weakened depth charge values so I know it was strengthed drastically.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: dereck

Pre-new ASW routine I'd have subs attack Jap ships and get away cleanly with some being damaged or sunk.

Post-new ASW routine EVERY time my submarines attacked Japanese ships they were either sunk or received 30+ SYS and/or float damage. Not once did I have a submarine get away without being mauled. Totally unrealistic.

I'm not talking air ASW routines but the fact that after the new routines it was impossible for me to conduct submarine warfare. This is despite the fact that I was playing my own scenario in which I weakened depth charge values so I know it was strengthed drastically.

What game are you playing, man?[:D] This is your mod which the new routines make useless right?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: dereck

It sounds like you might be in the middle. The way I understand it, there are stages to the ASW type changes throught the various patches:

- Subs get hurt bad but are hard to find.
- Subs get hurt bad and are easy to find.
- Subs very survivable vs. surface ASW, still get hurt bad vs air ASW, and are easy to find.
- Subs very survivable vs. surface and air ASW, easy to find that they are in a hex but difficult to get sighting of high enough quality to attack a sub (in other words easy to get vague sighting that sub is in the hex but hard to get good fix on subs location within the hex for attacking it). [This is the current state in 1.795 Beta]

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”