Sitting on fence, need push one way or the other….

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Hornblower

Sitting on fence, need push one way or the other….

Post by Hornblower »

Some of you may recall some time ago I was asking about Rangoon and zones of control- in regards to retreat. Well I had to give Rangoon up. BB tf came in and pretty much flattened any hope I had of keeping it open. I had kept a brigade north of Rangoon, and it kept that hex open so I was able to pull all my guys (40k) out. Which is good, cuz next turn the IJA walked in with 90k+!!!!!!

I’ve managed to get to within 2-3 days marching of akayab (sp?) and the IJA sat in Rangoon for approx a week, no doubt getting rested. I’ve noticed that they are once again moving north along the coastal road, and also into the interior. Rec shows that there are minimal land forces there. I estimate a few engineers (800 troops is what recon says). I am playing with the idea of fast transporting a Reg sized unit into Rangoon and see if I can’t pull off a St. Nazaire type raid. Fortifications have to be 0 as they just took it from me, and recon is showing all the divisions I faced now moving north. If I am right, I should be able to get about 2000 troops into Rangoon. Wreck havoc with the air assets/ supply he has there, and then pull out. And if I am wrong, I risk 2000 troops and possibly some DD’s…

Anyone try this? I admit its boarder-line gamey... thoughts?
hithere

RE: Sitting on fence, need push one way or the other….

Post by hithere »

i would not
1) those are very prob base units and a airforce is either there or on the way.
2) you are assuming there are no navy assets to stop you. the BB group braved Rangoons airfield to "put a whoppin' " on you. now there isn't anything to stop them except akbar, which is prob at best a size 3 or 4. (assuming you poured everything into rangoon.
3) sometimes recon is wrong
Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Anyone try this? I admit its boarder-line gamey... thoughts?

Nothing gamey about it. If he's left Rangoon wide open and brought all his toys north in pursuit of you, he deserves it!
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Is this PBEM or vs AI?

O.
Feinder

Post by Feinder »

I wouldn't call it gamey. Risky, yes. Gamey, no.

Some points to consider :

1. Anybody you drop in Rangoon, will probably die. He'll turn those Divs around, and beat up on your invasion. If that's ok, then fine. But just plan on it being much harder to get them out.

2. What is the LBA threat to your navy? I hate going anywhere near Rangoon with navy. If anything goes wrong (mine, sub, SC TF), and you end up with a damaged ship, you're out of range of your own ability to project CAP. Your Buffalos have the range to cover you from Akyab (but at significantly lower rate because of the range), but even then, the Zeros will eat them for lunch. Then you're losing fighters, and your fleet is getting torp'd.

3. A good thing if you can cause Rangoon to change hands, is you automatically reduce the Heavy Industry & Manpower by half. And when he comes to kick you out, they're reduced by half again.

-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

Hornblower

Post by Hornblower »

Feinder-

I realize that anyone I put in there most likely isn’t coming out. The effect of the raid will determine if I can go get them. The nearest IJA unit is 2 if not 3 hexes away (at work, doing this from memory of last night) so I think I have 4-5 days window. If I do this, drop them off, then as soon as its taken, get them out. IF, again IF, it works I think it a 3 day operation.

Rangoon seems to be the hub of there air effort, they have tavoy too, but all the LBA activity seems to come from Rangoon. I have a surface TF at Diamond harbor (3 old cl’s and 5DD’s) which is what I would use if I do this. I expect them to have to endure 1 turn of air attacks unless the weather is bad – I need to check that!!! Not risking anything beyond that on this raid.

IF I am correct, and this works then when I pull the boys out (again, I don’t plan on holding this) I should have elimated a good portion of his LBA’s. I have some Buffalos at Arkaya (how you spell that place) that I can put on LCAP, which might help.

Your 3rd point, is exactly what I want to accomplish…
mc3744

Post by mc3744 »

Is this versus AI or PBEM?

I'd be scared in PBEM, your opponent should have planned some kind of counter measure ... shouldn't he?
Nec recisa recedit
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

I'd be scared in PBEM, your opponent should have planned some kind of counter measure ... shouldn't he?

Safe bet he probably is after reading this thread [:D]

Might just find some BB's parked offshore waiting for the landing now ...
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

(3 old cl’s and 5DD’s)

Thats not enough to deal with the base forces he probably has stacked there ... You need to go in with enough to win to make it of use ... otherwise, just send down bombardment TF's at night and smack up the aircraft and runway.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

'should' being the operative word...[;)]
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, When you use FT you need another FT of same size to pick up troops with. The first FT cannot drop off and pick up troops. (You have to first capture Rangoon and then order it to pick up.) If anything goes wrong your troops are stranded unless you have 2 FT TF.
Also incase of disaster you can have a submarine transport TF standing by to pick up troops.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
marky

Post by marky »

u need a push ovetr the fence eh?[:'(]

*shoves ya over*[:D]

lol[:'(]

in all seriousness tho...[:'(]

i assume this is against another human brain so obviousl;y u must be careful

but

NEVER assume wat ur enemy will do

id get every LBA and pound rangoon

then get sum subs in there and cut it off from the sea

bomb the AF first, then hit the port, and keep alternating the strikes but make sure the AF is out of business or his CAP will slaughter u

get ALOT of recon, but DONT pin ur hopes on recon!

hes prolly left a defense force there tp protect it from a st naxzaire style raid

do u have any PT boats?

base them as close to rangoon as u can and send them over to give him sum nice presents...
marky

Post by marky »

but dont bother with DD, or cruiser or even BB raids, at least NOT until uve flattend the AF (if possible) and cut down sum AC of his
Bradley7735

Post by Bradley7735 »

Don't do it.

You have to ask yourself, what do you gain and what could you lose?

1: You can lose ships and troops. There's a good possibility of this because of his surface assets and his LBA.

2: What can you gain: I don't know if Rangoon has HI, but if it does, you cut it by 75% (two change of hands). You won't destroy LBA, because you land on turn one, and on turn two, he transfers them out and you take the base at the end of turn two. You don't destroy troops, since they will just be moved out of the hex. So, you have NOTHING to gain (at least not worth what you could lose.)

3: As Mogami said, you need a lot of FT ships to be able to take the base. 2,000 men probably won't do it. So, you're in the same boat in regards to losses vs gains.

my 2 cents. bc

PS, Rogue, love your sig
The older I get, the better I was.
marky

Post by marky »

and use the AVG if u still ahve them, they can knock down japs pretty good considering theyre flying P40s
Hornblower

Post by Hornblower »

All, The don't have it. Yes in this case, this game is AI.. I moved the units in place and the fast transport were actually about to load up, and i even had thunderstorms in the forecast! when combat reports indicated the RN sub Trusty (i think that was its name) was attacking a AP one hex south of rangoon. Yup you guessed it, reinforcements were inbound. I called off the operation. IJA units are moving inland- FAST, and will soon outflank ankaya (again with the spelling). Thanks for all the advise guys
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Hornblower

All, The don't have it. Yes in this case, this game is AI.. I moved the units in place and the fast transport were actually about to load up, and i even had thunderstorms in the forecast! when combat reports indicated the RN sub Trusty (i think that was its name) was attacking a AP one hex south of rangoon. Yup you guessed it, reinforcements were inbound. I called off the operation. IJA units are moving inland- FAST, and will soon outflank ankaya (again with the spelling). Thanks for all the advise guys

The problem with forums ... your opponent can read too [:D]
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Boy and people complain that the AI is not too smart in this game, if the AI can come to the forum and read what the player is planning on doing and then play accordingly, I would say it is pretty smart :):):)

HARD_Sarge
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

Boy and people complain that the AI is not too smart in this game, if the AI can come to the forum and read what the player is planning on doing and then play accordingly, I would say it is pretty smart :):):)

The AI can see what you are doing ... just like reading the forum assuming you are playing at a hard or higher level ... [;)]

If you are not, then you have to ask yourself why not?
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, One night around 4am I woke up because I heard someone typing on the keyboard.
My brother was at work so no one should have been in the house.
I grabbed hold of an old motorcycle exhaust pipe to use as a club and looked into the front room.
There he was. The A.I. he was looking at my turn 1 as Japan and smoking my cigarettes. Several empty bottles of PU near by. He was giggling as he changed orders and TF compositions and disbanding airgroups (and selecting "do not return")

I had a major mess to clean up after I bashed in his brains with the exhaust pipe.
But the A.I. has not messed with me since.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”