1.40 fixes

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Bison Frontier

1.40 fixes

Post by Bison Frontier »

Could someone please point me to where I can check the readme on what has been fixed/amended in the latest patch? Or do I have to download the 11MB file before I can view the changes? Thanks!
Tanaka

RE: 1.40 fixes

Post by Tanaka »

Bison Frontier

Post by Bison Frontier »

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

tm.asp?m=758551

Thanks Tan!
Bison Frontier

Post by Bison Frontier »

Forgot to clarify something. Now that slot 8 (A6M3a) is carrier capable, does this mean I can just apply the patch and continue my PBEM game (started on v1.30)? Come November 1942, will my carrier-based A6M2s upgrade to A6M3a or is there still a problem? If so, is there any way to get around this other than restarting, which I REALLY don't want to do...
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

The A6M3's are fixed both ways ... if you start a new game, they use a different slot. If you continue an old game, the old slot is now a CV capable slot.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Mr. Frag

Could you take a look at the original 1.4 thread that Mike Wood posted and see if you might know the answer to my question there (I don't want to hijack this thread). Thanks.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

YYYAAAHHHH!!!!!
"Tanks forward"
neuromancer

Post by neuromancer »

Still no font fix?

Sigh... Oh well, I guess I have other games to play, and I didn't really start seriously playing UV until the patches were in the 2.X range.

Kind of annoying though to pay $100 CAN for a game just to find the print is so small that I can't play without actually causing myself physical pain.

Yes, yes, some twit is out there saying "Buy a 21" monitor!"

Go stuff yourself.

Besides, I doubt it would even fit on my desk. I have a 21" at work, they are bloody big!
Gilligan

Post by Gilligan »

Was the post above really neccessary? Name calling never helped validate a point, and only serves to make your point less effective. Surprising coming from one of our "Friendly" neighbors to the north..[:-][:-]

In the meantime...go buy a 21" monitor!!![:'(]
testarossa

Post by testarossa »

You don't like 21" CRT box[:D]? Try 19" LCD, works for watching DVDs too, or 17". I have 17" LCD and can play WITP for hours without screwing up my eyes.

And they do nice laser surgery novadays. Helps for checking out your neighbors too.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Have you considered the possibility of a magnifying lens? I have seen these at computer equipment shops. They mount in a bracket in front of your monitor screen and enlarge the portion of the screen you are viewing to help you make out detail. These aids were invented to help those with poor vision use computers.

I have a 17 inch flatscreen monitor and have no problem reading the material in WitP screens. My vision is impaired to some degree by nearsightedness and retinal deterioration attendant on diabetes.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
Thurmonator

Post by Thurmonator »

I feel your pain. What helped some was changing the font in the game to a more readable one. To learn how, got to the search function, type in font size and make sure the lookup goes back one year.

I tried playing in a window, but the only time it worked, I couldn't get a game going because the load game button was off screen.

UV had 800x600 so why wouldn't WitP I thought. Oh well, we were wrong. Oh I wish there was someone out there that could mod a lower resolution than 1024x768. I have a 19in and it is almost too small to play. It does limit my sessions, as I get seriously tired from the eye strain, but it is still fun. I suffer through it.

Hey, does anyone have WITP playing on a dual monitor setup, or a TV? How does it work, and look?
Please make a modern strategic Naval wargame for the PC.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Thurmonator

I feel your pain. What helped some was changing the font in the game to a more readable one. To learn how, got to the search function, type in font size and make sure the lookup goes back one year.

I tried playing in a window, but the only time it worked, I couldn't get a game going because the load game button was off screen.

UV had 800x600 so why wouldn't WitP I thought. Oh well, we were wrong. Oh I wish there was someone out there that could mod a lower resolution than 1024x768. I have a 19in and it is almost too small to play. It does limit my sessions, as I get seriously tired from the eye strain, but it is still fun. I suffer through it.

Hey, does anyone have WITP playing on a dual monitor setup, or a TV? How does it work, and look?

I ran it on my 65" screen TV and it was fun for a bit but seemed rather grainy. Cool for planning stuff.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
hithere

Post by hithere »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I ran it on my 65" screen TV and it was fun for a bit but seemed rather grainy. Cool for planning stuff.

[&o][&o] i....must....do........that (where is the drooling smilie when you need it?)
Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"
neuromancer

Post by neuromancer »

ORIGINAL: Gilligan

Was the post above really neccessary? Name calling never helped validate a point, and only serves to make your point less effective. Surprising coming from one of our "Friendly" neighbors to the north..[:-][:-]

In the meantime...go buy a 21" monitor!!![:'(]

And who was I insulting? It was meant to prevent the lame response I have seen previously. Obviously it was ineffective.

The simple fact is I have dozens of games that I have played, and currently play, on my current monitor, this is the only one in which the font is too small. Me thinks the problem is not with my monitor, so why should I have to buy a new monitor when it is just fine for everything else I do?

Anyone who suggests that the proper way to deal with it is to make changes to one of the basic fonts in the O.S., thus breaking a bunch of other things so that one game works, or that I must buy a new monitor just so I can play one game, is - at best - a twit. Neither is an acceptable way of dealing with the problem, and to suggest otherwise is simply being silly.

It is just like those who say "the AI is weak" and all the people who jump on them and say "You should only play PBEM! Who the hell plays SP any more?" Uh, 60% of gamers are still playing SP, deal with it. Not to mention that the sheer scale of this game makes playing PBEM impractical for most people.

Yes, some people are fine with it. And good for them. But to simply say to the rest that they are playing the game 'wrong' (even though it was designed with an AI, not as MP only) or that the game 'requires' a larger than typical monitor, and thus actually costs $600 ($100 for the game and $500 for the monitor) is just plain silly.

As for being 'friendly'. We've decided to take the example of our 'friends' to the south and be hostile at all times. Seems to work for them.

Make a stupid comment, get one back.
neuromancer

Post by neuromancer »

ORIGINAL: testarossa

You don't like 21" CRT box[:D]? Try 19" LCD, works for watching DVDs too, or 17". I have 17" LCD and can play WITP for hours without screwing up my eyes.

And they do nice laser surgery novadays. Helps for checking out your neighbors too.

I have a quite nice 17" CRT, as said, it works for most hings quite nicely. Just not this game. And I know I'm not the only one, as I've seen others make the same comment. In fact Thurmonator comments on that, and he has a larger monitor than mine!

Laser surgery can reform the lens, or remove stuff. It cannot add things.

As for a lens and some sort of bracket, same answer, I don't see a need for it otherwise. So why should I waste the money on it?

We tried using a TV for a monitor years back. Yuck. The thing to remember is that a standard TV has much lower resolution than a monitor, it works great for TV viewing, not so good for computer use.

A large screen HDTV might work well, I understand they are intended to act as monitors and TVs.
testarossa

Post by testarossa »

Seriously. Looks like the font is small for you and other people on individual basis.

1.No kidding about LCD screen. It is just great for your eyes, period. I stare at computer screen 8 hours at work and then 4-6 at home. Don’t think it would’ve been possible using CRT monitor. But again this is just a suggestion.

2.If you use message delay 0.1 you don’t really need to read anything down there. Only useful information is about LBA patrol hitting something during search and reinforcement arrivals. If you use default 1.0 delay your game will take years to finish.

3.The font solution should actually work if you change basic font for WITP in OS, than change OS to use different font. MS Sans Serif looks ugly anyways.

And I fully understand your frustration with this issue, although it looks like they should concentrate on things that bother majority of the players i.e. leaders bug, land movement bug, ASW bug, aircraft upgrade issues etc.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Still no font fix?

The fonts can be changed and they aren't system fonts. There are some threads back a ways about it.

Since you don't plan to play WITP anymore, I won't bother to try to hunt them down for you.
[8|]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: Mynok
Still no font fix?

The fonts can be changed and they aren't system fonts. There are some threads back a ways about it.

Since you don't plan to play WITP anymore, I won't bother to try to hunt them down for you.
[8|]

I plan to play WITP, and I could sure use a font fix . . . I have a 17" LCD screen and, like Neuromancer, this is the *only* game I own where I have trouble reading the map/reports, so I don't think my eyes or the screen-size is the problem. I'd love to see a "font fix" in 1.5.
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
DrewMatrix

Post by DrewMatrix »

As my eyes age I have bought progressively larger monitors. I am currently using a 21" Trinitron. The images are lovely, and I have no trouble reading the fonts in this game.

I am a little worried what I buy next for a monitor, though.

Do they make 42 inch Trinitrons?[:D]
Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”