Program alert

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Mark VII

Program alert

Post by Mark VII »

History channel running program "Pacific: the lost evidence" which is looking a the attack on Pearl Harbor starting now at 2000 central time...terry
KDonovan

RE: Program alert

Post by KDonovan »

who needs the history channel when you got this forum....i've learned more about the pacific war in 1 year on this forum than 8 years of watching the history channel[:D][:D][:D][:D]
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

I saw the ones about Guam and Iwo Jima. Very well done by HC standards. Very few inaccuracies or misuses of stock footage.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

What lost evidence? Ben Afleck's grand daddy was actually the Army jock who shot down all those Japs? It was a tuba, not a trombone which went over the side on Nevada's run? What could possibly be new? Man, anything get's on the History Channel.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

Did you see the one on Discovery Times that speculates that a midget sub got into PH and torpedoed a battleship? The photo looks like it could be a sub.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

hopefully they wont blow it up like they did the last 'lost' evidence they found. [:@]
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

hopefully they wont blow it up like they did the last 'lost' evidence they found. [:@]

What was that. Steve?

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Did you see the one on Discovery Times that speculates that a midget sub got into PH and torpedoed a battleship? The photo looks like it could be a sub.

Heard about that...impossible to prove I would think.

scott64

Post by scott64 »

Watching Battle of Leyte Gulf. [8D][:'(]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

Heard about that...impossible to prove I would think.

Possibly impossible...[:'(]

There were some articles a few years back doing photo analysis of pictures taken from Japanese aircraft with some wakes suggestive of torpedoes originating from areas where there were no aircraft. A lot of the argument hinged on the quality of the source material. It sounds like the Discovery Times "news" is a rehash of this.

If someone came up with better quality pics, it might be possible to prove or disprove the thing (and maybe this is what D.T. has done - i haven't seen the program) - however, there are of course real problems in "proving a negative" (or in this case, proving there *weren't* subs firing torpedoes at the BBs.)
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

They found a fully intact Type 91 recently at Pearl Harbor. Only problem was that it was also very much live....so the USN labeled it as explosive ordinance and insisted on detonating the warhead before doing anything else. The remaining jagged pieces are now on display at the Arizona memorial museum section. A shame that.

Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Watched another Discovery Channel program...The Japanese Ghost Fleet or some such...about the subs captured at the surrender and destroyed off Nagasaki. These so called experts are pumping out these marine "archeology" puppies faster than Steven King finds "older works". What did one Japanese guy say? "The I-400 Class were the inspiration for ballistic missile armed nuclear subs." Whaaaa...what a crock. And these shows are all about solving some mystery but the mystery is not there or is lame as hell and worse still, the clock is always "ticking" regarding time left to find and explore the wrecks. I like the notion of exploring old wrecks but please, don't make up a bunch of crap to feed the masses and justify the show to the networks.[8|]

waynec

Post by waynec »

here is a link to the article from Naval history magazine about this
midgst sub in pearl harbor?

Attachments
bannerChinaClipper.jpg
bannerChinaClipper.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 49 times
If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: waynec

here is a link to the article from Naval history magazine about this
midgst sub in pearl harbor?

That's the article i had mentioned.

Wow!! Didn't know they had this online now. Thanks!![&o][&o][&o]
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

I recall this article. It was pretty much skewered on warships1.com by self appointed experts. I don't really have an opinion on it one way or another..but i have to admit I was amused at the passion in which the theory was poo poo'd in the counter-article. Maybe i'm wrong but they just seemed to be trying a little too hard to disprove it...as if the thought of even one midget succeeding in it's mission was a slight to the USN. To me....its hardly earth shaking material.....by midget or B5N....Wee Vee received enough torps to sink. What was amazing was that she didn't suffer Okie's fate. I'd like to see a more in-depth article on that.

Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

There is a really interesting article on Pry's Navsource page in the patrol craft section. I think it was the Eagle Boat PE-56, which got torped and sunk by U 853(?) near wars end but the USN refused to admit this and stated officially that it was a boiler explosion. Some history nut got them to change the official history. Nice story.

I just love Pry's site.[&o]

whippleofd

Post by whippleofd »

Can I get a link to "Prys site"? I don't know of what you speak.

Thanks ahead of time.

Whipple
MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”