I'm So Sorry

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Genisis

I'm So Sorry

Post by Genisis »

After constant swearing and evil finger pointing
due to constant CTD making the the game unplayable

I had a flash of divine inspiration!

I cleaned my fans!!

2 days without CTD!!!

Nobody says Lorry Drivers are smart!!!!

I Love Vacume Cleaners!!!!!

I Love Matrix/2by3/WITP/UV/WIR/WF/BoB/BTR/CS!!!!!!

Sorry!!!!!!!![:'(]
Put it away it might rain!
Jaws_slith

RE: I'm So Sorry

Post by Jaws_slith »

I had a main board burn out due dust once. Since then every month I use the vacuum cleaner to clean my computers. It is unbelievable where the dust goes. It is not only the fans but it also sticks to chips[:@]
Good Hunting
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

One of the few reasons I went Intel over AMD in my last machine. Thermal protection on the CPU. AMD's simply go up in flames with a bad fan, Intel's throttle down.
Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

One of the few reasons I went Intel over AMD in my last machine. Thermal protection on the CPU. AMD's simply go up in flames with a bad fan, Intel's throttle down.

Yes I also switched back to intel
Good Hunting
Caltone

Post by Caltone »

While that is true, I'm sticking with AMD on a performance/cost basis.

Two things regarding heat:

1. Grab a monitoring program that allows you to check temps from windows, several free ones around.

2. Most newer motherboards allow you to set a shutdown temperature. This simply shuts down the system once CPU temp reaches a certain point.

Whenever I'm asked to look at a system that's locking up or rebooting, there are two areas I always check first: power and heat.
"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

1. Grab a monitoring program that allows you to check temps from windows, several free ones around.

Tell that to your insurance company after your house burns down. A 70+ Watt AMD will reach flash temps in less then a second, your monitoring *software* doesn't work on a hung system going up in flames [X(]

It actually amazes me that AMD has not solutioned this considering their market is generally home users who probably don't even know there is a fan [8|]

UL should step in on stuff like this and protect people.
Bill Durrant

Post by Bill Durrant »

Wow. thanks for that info. My last PC was AMD and my motherboard burned when the fan got clogged with dust (where does it come from - thought I must have the dustiest room in the world)

Now have Intel[:)] Think I'll still check now and again[:(]
Sunk by 35cm/45 1YT Gun - Near Singapore
Brady

Post by Brady »

I have always had Intel chips and Never had such a problem, though I have prety much always lived in the Western part of Oregon where it is not all that dusty, when I was in Centrail Washington and Eastern Oregon (very Dry Climate) dust was a big issue, I did actualy clean my PC their a few times.
[center]Image[/center]

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

ORIGINAL: Brady

I have always had Intel chips and Never had such a problem, though I have prety much always lived in the Western part of Oregon where it is not all that dusty, when I was in Centrail Washington and Eastern Oregon (very Dry Climate) dust was a big issue, I did actualy clean my PC their a few times.

Well I live in Holland and it is just a little dryer here then in England... but a whole lot of house dust goes in my computers. Ok..ok I will clean my house more[;)]
Good Hunting
Marc von Martial

Post by Marc von Martial »

ORIGINAL: Genisis

After constant swearing and evil finger pointing
due to constant CTD making the the game unplayable

I cleaned my fans!!

2 days without CTD!!!

Dust and overheating are the worst enemies of computers.

I clean my computer about every 4 or 5 weeks. Fans that suck air in are protected with filters so the dust ammount is dropped to a minimum.
Mr.Frag

Post by Mr.Frag »

I clean my computer about every 4 or 5 weeks. Fans that suck air in are protected with filters so the dust ammount is dropped to a minimum.

Yep, just watch what you use to clean ... most vacuum cleaners are HUGE static generators ... not too healthy for computer chips. [;)]
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

My machine I am using now was running an Athlon Thunderbird...talk about heat...When it first came out...I went through three fans trying to find one to cool it...I'm using the Athlon XP1500 now...it doesn't generate near as much heat as the Thunderbird did...I'm sticking with AMD though.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

I had a AMD 1.4 and the XP 1800. My wife used the 1.4 and I've got the biggest cooler I could found on the 1.4 but in these summer days it crashed at least 5 times a day due heat. After the summer no problems at all. The XP 1800 does a better job but it is not possible to over clock him because he is running at the max. After the 1800XP I went back to the Intel series.
Good Hunting
Marc von Martial

Yep, just watch what you use to clean ... most vacuum cleaners are HUGE static generators ... not too healthy for computer chips. [;)]

Since I use air filters in front of the fans and intakes I only have to clean those [:D]. Twice a year I use some compressed air to clean what made it into the PC through the filters.
Alexander Seil

Post by Alexander Seil »

I've got a question...what kind of precautions one needs to take when cleaning the fans to avoid zapping the internal components with static?
Jaws_slith

Post by Jaws_slith »

ORIGINAL: Alexander Seil

I've got a question...what kind of precautions one needs to take when cleaning the fans to avoid zapping the internal components with static?

I always make contact with my hand and vacuum cleaner to the outside of the computer. If you’re static a little spark will jump from your hand. Then it is save to clean it.
Good Hunting
Marc von Martial

ORIGINAL: Alexander Seil

Don´t use any eletric tools (eg. a vaccum). Make sure to discharge your bodies static and any tools you need to open the PC case.
panda124c

Post by panda124c »

ORIGINAL: Bill Durrant

Wow. thanks for that info. My last PC was AMD and my motherboard burned when the fan got clogged with dust (where does it come from - thought I must have the dustiest room in the world)

Now have Intel[:)] Think I'll still check now and again[:(]
Most dust is composed of dead skin cells, get those people out of the house so you can play. [:D]
Seriously, cleaning your computer on a regular basis is the best insurance against heat, not just the filers but the mother board as well and the other fans (power supply). Using air cans to blow the dust off or a vacumn cleaner (use a small hose). I prefer the vacumn cleaner, if you blow the dust out it just goes into the air and gets sucker back into the computer.
Oh by the way I was serious about the dead skin cells.
TheHellPatrol

Post by TheHellPatrol »

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

Since I use air filters in front of the fans and intakes I only have to clean those [:D]. Twice a year I use some compressed air to clean what made it into the PC through the filters.
[:D]I thought i was the only one to think of that[;)], I also have an Ionic Breeze Quadra(high-tech air filter) on my PC desk to help with dust and pet dander. It suprises me how many PC owners aren't aware of the killer "dust"[:-].
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

RevRick

RE: I hate to admit this...

Post by RevRick »

because it was drilled into me in the Navy PMS program - but when I got out, I wasn't using electronics for a long time. OY!!! Time to find some canned air and a small electronics vacuum cleaner.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”