Enhancement suggestions

Tech Support forum for Rule the Waves 3
mrchuck

Enhancement suggestions

Post by mrchuck »

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for these, but here goes anyway!

First up: fascinating, engrossing and absorbing game--well done! This is the best game I've played for years.

After playing 1890 scenario a few times, I came up with some observations. Looks like game features are under continuous development, so some of these may strike a chord with other players and maybe the devs.

1. When your allies won't join your war, might it not be advisable to - Prestige as well? At the moment, letting them off the hook is a bit of a freebie for the player, because you can more or less rely on them not doing anything against you, which is often a major help in itself.

2. The Kaiser seems to like CAs and often makes the player build more. (Tip: commence construction, wait for review, then halt or scrap if you can't afford them. Seems to work). However he doesn't seem to care about BCs and I got away with building just one. Don't like 'em, I reckon they are basically useless and Fisher was wrong! I'd never build one other than as an experiment. Perhaps the player should be made to--it is about prestige after all, not logic!

3. When the game brings up the menu for ceded provinces, it would be nice to have whether or not there is oil there, and the base info etc.

4. DD management gets more and more painful as the game progresses, and some automation would be great.

5. Speed reduction for Bulges should be immediately shown in the design panel when selected--not come as a surprise when you're already committed to rebuild. Slight UI tweak.

6. When oil 'becomes universally available' a blockade should still paralyse your fleet if you don't have access to any and have used oil firing. Now I haven't got quite that far yet, but this for example was what happened to the Kriegsmarine. This would seem to require tracking oil stocks as well, and I see no sign that RTW does that.

That's all so far, got to 1923 atm and having a whale of a time! A gratifying number of Russian, French and British Bs and BBs explode when hit just right...train and research damage control, it's worth it!

Charlie
mrchuck

Re: Enhancement suggestions

Post by mrchuck »

I thought of some more things later on.

1. Battle honours. When the game ends for whatever reason, show the player all the battles fought, combatants, and results.

2. The AI seems to fight rather oddly i.e badly. In particular, I would expect the Royal Navy to be much more aggressive. Instead, their squadrons just seem to dance around at extreme gun range and not want to close. Not the Nelson touch!

3. Coastal batteries under AI control--I'd still like to view what they are!

4. Once you have wireless comms, it would be good to get sighting reports (of whatever accuracy) from things under attack other than with your engaged fleet. Certainly if a shore installation is under attack, the game should display which one!

I am using 1.00.37.
MaximKI

Post by MaximKI »

Thank you for the feedback! We'll consider these for future game improvements.
mrchuck

Post by mrchuck »

Just thought of more.

1. Being able to set waypoints (heading and speed) instead of having to hunt around your squadrons, select and click every few rounds. The more squadrons, the more fiddly this gets.

1a. Battle generator could perhaps set the initial waypoints instead of just an initial heading. e.g. bombardment mission, set misleading heading until dark, then charge in at top speed to be out by daybreak. However I can see that this might be very tricky to implement.

2. Additional option to view squadron's currently set course as a line on the map,(whether or not there are waypoints). This would be a nuisance for AI-controlled squadrons and DDs, but for player-controlled large ship squadrons, this would be helpful--especially at lower game speeds where it sometimes isn't instantly obvious where a squadron is heading.

3. Now playing through the late 20s and my DDs often lay minefields at lat and lon co-ordinates. This info is fairly useless in my opinion, and showing them on the map would be far more helpful. Especially if I want to lure the enemy on to them...

3a. Minelaying mission.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

mrchuck wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:34 am Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for these, but here goes anyway!

First up: fascinating, engrossing and absorbing game--well done! This is the best game I've played for years.

After playing 1890 scenario a few times, I came up with some observations. Looks like game features are under continuous development, so some of these may strike a chord with other players and maybe the devs.

1. When your allies won't join your war, might it not be advisable to - Prestige as well? At the moment, letting them off the hook is a bit of a freebie for the player, because you can more or less rely on them not doing anything against you, which is often a major help in itself.

2. The Kaiser seems to like CAs and often makes the player build more. (Tip: commence construction, wait for review, then halt or scrap if you can't afford them. Seems to work). However he doesn't seem to care about BCs and I got away with building just one. Don't like 'em, I reckon they are basically useless and Fisher was wrong! I'd never build one other than as an experiment. Perhaps the player should be made to--it is about prestige after all, not logic!

3. When the game brings up the menu for ceded provinces, it would be nice to have whether or not there is oil there, and the base info etc.

4. DD management gets more and more painful as the game progresses, and some automation would be great.

5. Speed reduction for Bulges should be immediately shown in the design panel when selected--not come as a surprise when you're already committed to rebuild. Slight UI tweak.

6. When oil 'becomes universally available' a blockade should still paralyse your fleet if you don't have access to any and have used oil firing. Now I haven't got quite that far yet, but this for example was what happened to the Kriegsmarine. This would seem to require tracking oil stocks as well, and I see no sign that RTW does that.

That's all so far, got to 1923 atm and having a whale of a time! A gratifying number of Russian, French and British Bs and BBs explode when hit just right...train and research damage control, it's worth it!

Charlie
Thanks for praise and the feedback! We will consider your suggestions.

Re 2. It should be randomized, so the Kaiser might take a fancy to any ship type. BTW you cannot scrap building ships of a type just requseted.

Re 6, you can have a fuel shortage when you don't have domestic oil production and you are blockaded.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

mrchuck wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:17 pm Just thought of more.

1. Being able to set waypoints (heading and speed) instead of having to hunt around your squadrons, select and click every few rounds. The more squadrons, the more fiddly this gets.

1a. Battle generator could perhaps set the initial waypoints instead of just an initial heading. e.g. bombardment mission, set misleading heading until dark, then charge in at top speed to be out by daybreak. However I can see that this might be very tricky to implement.

2. Additional option to view squadron's currently set course as a line on the map,(whether or not there are waypoints). This would be a nuisance for AI-controlled squadrons and DDs, but for player-controlled large ship squadrons, this would be helpful--especially at lower game speeds where it sometimes isn't instantly obvious where a squadron is heading.

3. Now playing through the late 20s and my DDs often lay minefields at lat and lon co-ordinates. This info is fairly useless in my opinion, and showing them on the map would be far more helpful. Especially if I want to lure the enemy on to them...

3a. Minelaying mission.
Thanks again! Minefields laid are shown on the map. I do agree that the coordinates are fairly uninformative, but this is mostly to give the player feedback that they are doing something.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer

Return to “Rule the Waves 3: Tech Support”