AAR Module 1 Scenario 2 (Pergite)

Panther's War College is a venue to learn and share with fellow gamers the
command skills required to make you a great Panther Games armchair general.

Moderators: Arjuna, Real and Simulated Wars

Pergite!

AAR Module 1 Scenario 2 (Pergite)

Post by Pergite! »

AAR Scenario 2

I really enjoyed playing this scenario. I liked the uncertainty about what type of enemy I would encounter as well as when and where. There where moments that I was on my way to fall back because I belived that I had encountered the spearhead of the enemy forces, not just some random recon elements. Though fighting anyway [&o]

I tried to make a timetable in my planning for this scenario. The reason was that I wanted to be able to keep track of the time and the road I had to travel to reach the objectives. Since enemy contact came early, and was very determined I had to make certain major changes to my execution.

The AAR is written as a log with time entries, comments and events:

01050 It begins, all according to plan. SOUTHTOWN gets secured and my forces split up.

010631 KG Eber is starting probe up along eastern road encountering armoured forces *yikes*

01640 I give order to 1/9 coy ofKG Luchs (on the eastern side of the map) to attack enemy flank, using a clearing in the forest instead of the bridge into PLIERVILLE. The Hvy Wpns coy will defend this side to secure the rear.

01730 Two unconfirmed armoured companies advancing in the east, no way that my hvy wpns can hold its ground alone. 1/9 coy is allready on the move I cant get them to stop easily. Is this the enemy main effort?

010753 I break through on the left, enemy (now light armoured coy) routs, I pursue. I still dont know what to do in the east. Will I gamble that that its not two tank companies coming against me?

010800 Realise that there is no time to gamble. 1/9 halts and turns around to attack the flank of enemy advance in the east.
Intel still said Cruiser mkII tanks...

No way that I can stop this!

010830 Still no confirmation if its actually two tank companies in the east.

0900 Confirmation, "only" light tanks...!? They back of when they come in range of some kind AT weapons in my Hvy wpns coy. They are well dug in.

0940 Cant let them fall back and reorganize:

"Clear routes of approach to Middletown and Northtown and don’t let the enemy assemble defensive positions in these towns. Observe particularly for routes the enemy will be using for his counterattack." ...1/9 coy thunders on in pursuit

KG LUCHS breaks the enemy. 1/9 destroy the enemy HQ, while Hvy Wpns Coy pinns the enemy unit that is next in line for destruction

0111100 I have id on 4th Hussar regt HQ, they are routing and heading into the forest to the east. There they after a serious beating surrenders. I was surprised by the efficency in the AC coys.

011137 Enemy opposition is too strong in the west. KG Eber will take too many casualties if I keep advancing. Its time to dig in
wait for KG LUCHS to mop up and join in on the enemy rear. I decide that this is the main effort of the enemy that I am dealing with. I will take the time I need to route them.

011500 KG Luchs pass through PLIERVILLE. The enemy units in the west retreats away north... so much for my flanking manuever.

011900 I have my whole bn joined up on ridge overlooking yellow river, some order problems and AI route choices, have delayed the advance. I wanted to advance along the road, the BN commander liked the forest and some diagonal aproach.

012000 MIDDLETOWN in sight and my troops are fairly rested.
Shots fired from Middletown, so that is where they are. Night will work in my favour So I order up a batallion attack on MIDDLETOWN:
My tropps roll out in the sunset

020000 My Bn Hq managed to stumble on the enemy while on the move, my bad. Managed to outrun them but took some losses.

020100 MIDDLETOWN is taken, there are however some tanks left prowling around in the darkness. I will scout ahead, and setup defensive positions, my bikes will not do much use here, I send them ahead up to NORTH TOWN. My forces will stay put until sunrise, its to dangerous to move. I will keep an eye on the surroundings for any enemy reinforcements

020600 Sunrise, and new enemy contacts from the east... dont know what, my bikes up north getting tired and take some time to rest.

020740 This is some serious counterattack 4 units, infantry and armour?

021040 I havereached NORTHTOWN. Heavy fighting is conducted east of MIDDLETOWN, good that I am dug in and still have plenty of ammunition.

021200 Game over... I have MIDDLETOWN, I have scouted to NORTHTOWN, but cant hold it if it where to be attacked. I have no real controll of the roads to the south. I do however have the enemy tied up in a fruitless attack, so I would say that its safe for the divison to roll in.

Hoplomachia

RE: AAR Module 1 Scenario 2 (Pergite)

Post by Hoplomachia »

Good job Pergite.

There were actually Matildas among those enemy units, so not an easy walk.

Funny how these enemy forces retreat to Middletown in your scenario.
I think my Krad Coy withdrawing to Soutthtown had contact for a long time with these units, so that might have given me time enough to defend the Yellow River South Bridge before the enemy forces managed to retreat to Middletown.

Leonidas

Return to “Panther War College”