AAR Module 1 Scenario 1 (Leonidas)

Panther's War College is a venue to learn and share with fellow gamers the
command skills required to make you a great Panther Games armchair general.

Moderators: Arjuna, Real and Simulated Wars

Hoplomachia

AAR Module 1 Scenario 1 (Leonidas)

Post by Hoplomachia »

Painfully realistic Orders delay was used for this scenario, all other standard.

In 9 hours we must be in possession of Bridgeville, so speed is important, and to me speed means using roads as much as possible. I will keep my supporting force central and not dedicate it to either flank yet.

Phase 1 of my plan was completed quickly and without any incidents. 1.9/3.9 takes Middleville at 0630 and 2.9 takes Bendville at 0615. 2.9 reports enemy unit in woods just west of village.

Phase 2 started 0645 by ordering 3.9 to flank Bridgeville wide for West bridge an hour before other units. At 0715 Phase 2 orders is sent to rest of battalion. Around 0747 3.9 secured West bridge and at the same time the attack on Bridgeville is initiated.
1.9 is attacking Bridgeville by 0815 supported by 9AT, 4.9 and 9HQ from the ridges.
2.9 is still engaged in wood east of Bendville.
1.9 makes several unsuccessful assaults across the bridges and takes heavy casualties.
At 1000 3.9 is ordered to attack Bridgeville from West bridge in support.
2.9 routed unit in wood east of Bendville and bypass an Artillery unit in woods east of Bridgeville to attack outskirts of town at 1200.
1.9 is given a defensive order in front of bridges at 1235 to minimize further casualties.
At 1434 the last enemy unit in Bridgeville retreats from the agressive attack offered by 2.9 and 3.9.
1440 Objective achieved.

Own comments:
When 2.9 encountered an enemy unit in front of Bendville, the plan had to be changed somewhat. In stead of keeping 3.9 in reserve, it was ordered to attack at 1000.
This order should have been given sooner, as 1.9 had to make several fruitless assaults for nearly 2 hours on its own with heavy casualties as a result.
The flanking move by 3.9 I think was the deciding factor, especially since 2.9 was slugging its way along the road to Bridgeville for more than 4 hours.
But overall I am satisfied with the plan and the performance of my recon battalion.

And last but not least, this idea with PWC is a great idea and Chelco has done a perfect job. PWC simply takes this game/simulation several levels up [&o]

Leonidas

Pergite!

RE: AAR Module 1 Scenario 1 (Leonidas)

Post by Pergite! »

Great AAR!
1.9 makes several unsuccessful assaults across the bridges and takes heavy casualties.

Yes, bridges can be real deathtraps. I avoided them alltogether, and the enemy sort of proved why (see my AAR. My advice is to always strive for some kind of support when advancing over a bridge. Supress the defenders with mortars, or in this case direct fire units so that they wont be able to repell your assault.

Its great that we both recognized the importance of the bridge to the west in our plans.

Return to “Panther War College”