FPG2 News!

Matrix Games and Simulations Canada combine and completely remake two classic NATO vs. Warsaw Pact wargames into a new classic. Based on the original wargames “Main Battle Tank: North Germany” and “Main Battle Tank: Central Germany”, Flashpoint Germany is a new grand tactical wargame of modern combat. Every aspect of modern grand tactical warfare is included, from advanced armor, air and helicopters to chemical and tactical nuclear weapons. Step into the most dangerous war.. . that never was.

Moderators: IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

wodin

RE: FPG2 News!

Post by wodin »

Really getting excited about this..come on screenies!!
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the info, i join to the "wewantscreensnow" squad [:D]

Pure infantry units open an interesting option if game has a good scen editor to add more "conventional" fights i think in made fight landwer units VS second line WP units, all the time mech units VS mech units could be boring, mix some WWII sytle fight in a scen with WWIII fight could be great, one part of your troops hold a key position isolated and you try save them.

Hexagons??? revolutionary!!! naaa more serious now, squares are not bad but i allways play on hexagons and never like a lot squares because sometimes is easy forget that you leave a gap when you dont have lines that follow the west-east or north south path.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The editor is flexible enough to have pure infantry units. Either by design or by deleting their vehicles from the unit itself.

I think you'll find the mix of scenarios to be anything but "conventional" fights. The maps alone will keep that pretty much from happening but as a scenario designer those aren't my normal creations.

When I design scenarios I look for 3 things:

1) An unusual setting. Time, situation or place.
2) Unusual equipment.
3) Unusual units.

Conventional will make it in there somewhere too. There will be M1 Abrams facing T-80's but that's not all you'll see. I can do a lot in 26 scenarios.(I added another one)

The scenario editor has been completely redone to allow for much more flexible situations to be created. I can promise that boring wasn't added.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

MR - you forgot to attach the screenshots [:)]
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I didn't forget. I don't know which ones you want to see. Or do you just want me to pick some? [&:]

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Maybe it's best to start in the beginning. Those of you that have been following some of my work know I like to use Google Earth as the basis for maps I create. PCO has a map maker that uses GE.

Here is the screen shot I took of the opening scenario landscape.

In the past I've only done historically based scenarios. That's not possible with WWIII. However, it's possible to make an educated guess. I'm far from the first one that has had an idea of how that war may have been fought out. I sat down with all the research books, OOB's, TO&E's, tactics, strategy. Took what I know having served in part of the battle area, I was assigned to the 3rd Armored Division in the Fulda Gap, and set about creating what I thought would happen.

The terrain you see in this screen shot was then applied to the 1st map.

Good Hunting.

MR
Attachments
1 20km N_J.jpg
1 20km N_J.jpg (182.24 KiB) Viewed 579 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

As can be seen from the first screen shot I posted.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
IntheBeginning.jpg
IntheBeginning.jpg (16.88 KiB) Viewed 586 times

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

How many nations are in the game??? and is possible create a nation with editor or at least add in a scen nations not present in the stock game???

Thanks.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

There are 4 nations forces in the game at this moment. By the time you play all the scenarios and campaigns there is a good likelyhood that an expansion or more will be available. The game is designed as a construction kit so I wouldn't be surprised at the ability of you that have the knowhow to mod it.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Once I have the area for the fight picked out I get the elevations.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
1TerrainMapJ1.jpg
1TerrainMapJ1.jpg (116.77 KiB) Viewed 577 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

And the terrain map.

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
1OverlayMapJ.jpg
1OverlayMapJ.jpg (155.57 KiB) Viewed 580 times

Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the info Mad Russian, them we have USA, Soviets and West Germany/East Germany/UK/Poland???

Well, i dont say no to pay for an expansion with more nations but a good editor that made possible "create" units out of the official nation...

Ooo something i need ask, we can see inside same nation diferent counters for diferent organizations??? i think in Guard and non guard units, if in the game you use different counters to made more visible this diferences.

Thanks.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The expansions won't just come with more nations but new scenarios/campaigns and added features as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Jo van der Pluym

Post by Jo van der Pluym »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

The expansions won't just come with more nations but new scenarios/campaigns and added features as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Which added features?
Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

It's better to be a Fool on this Crazy World
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Good Hunting.

MR

Which added features?

Wow your getting ahead of yourself:)...I expect the new features will be things they have in mind and also feedback from us lot once we get our hand son it.

I'd like to see a list of features for the core game though.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Jo van der Pluym

Which added features?

Let's wait to discuss those until Matrix let's us tell you about the features that are in this upcoming version.

Not to mention as we are playtesting the game we find things we that would make the game better. There comes a time in any game where you have to draw a line and say this is all that can be added. We are at that point for this release now. Whatever we come up with from this point on goes into expansions.

Don't worry, the game plays very well as is. It's just, well, does any game ever have all we want in it? If we can continue to improve the game, with many of your recommendations, we'll do that. At the moment you can't tell us what you want to see put in the game because you don't know what's in this version.

Everything in it's own time.

I think we are on schedule to be able to talk freely about the game some time next month. Until then I'll keep the Capn's promise to you that you will see some news about the game as we go.

Good Hunting.

MR

jjhouston4

Post by jjhouston4 »

I was assigned to the 3rd Armored Division in the Fulda Gap, and set about creating what I thought would happen.

I was Scout Plt 1/36 Inf from '85-'88 and L Trp 3/11 ACR '90-'93. We mighta passed each other in a bahnhof somewhere sometime.
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Again thanks for the info.

Ummm i never like expansions as a way to improve game mechanics/features, for this i allways prefer use patches (for free to prevent leave first title in a serie totally updated when there are not great changes like from Flashpoint 1 to 2) and leave expansions/add-ons to add more nations/equipment/maps/scens, i allways see use expansions/add-ons to improve game features (out of more nations, maps scens...) as a way to break comunity or leave some titles abandoned.

Well, this year is close to his end... i expect Santa has screenshoots and info on his bag [:D]
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: jjhouston4

I was assigned to the 3rd Armored Division in the Fulda Gap, and set about creating what I thought would happen.

I was Scout Plt 1/36 Inf from '85-'88 and L Trp 3/11 ACR '90-'93. We mighta passed each other in a bahnhof somewhere sometime.

I was in the 23rd Engr Bn From 74-77. Those streets you were driving on already had my tire/track impressions in them!

3rd AD is THE UNIT!

Good Hunting.

MR

Attachments
23rd Engr Bn J.jpg
23rd Engr Bn J.jpg (4.4 KiB) Viewed 581 times

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Again thanks for the info.

Ummm i never like expansions as a way to improve game mechanics/features, for this i allways prefer use patches (for free to prevent leave first title in a serie totally updated when there are not great changes like from Flashpoint 1 to 2) and leave expansions/add-ons to add more nations/equipment/maps/scens, i allways see use expansions/add-ons to improve game features (out of more nations, maps scens...) as a way to break comunity or leave some titles abandoned.

Well, this year is close to his end... i expect Santa has screenshoots and info on his bag [:D]

Okay. I like them when those mechanics/features are brought forward in the next full version of the game. As I said, now scenarios/campaigns will be featured. Those will all come with custom made maps. It's just a way for us to make incremental improvements in the game without you waiting for the next full game module to come out.

The idea is to give you the stuff that we couldn't get to now. If you feel like we shouldn't sell expansions that of course is your right. The developers need to be paid for the time and effort they put into both the game and the expansions.

For my money, I want as much in an expansion as I can get. That includes new features as well.

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “FlashPoint Germany”