Brothers at arms

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

flaggelant

RE: Industrial rumbling??

Post by flaggelant »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Japan has only 213710 in supply throughout Japan which is not good. [:(] However, Japanese Islands shows 203821 in supplies and Industry/Resource has 393523. All the bases under the Industry/Resource should be assigned to a specific region, so you will need to go to the Bases pull down and reassign them. I have used Tracker for some time, but usually when I start the game with it I have to go through the Bases pull down tab quickly to get them where they belong. You may need to have the game open also and use "Alt+Tab" to bounce from one to the other.

Í have ordered several TF to collect supplies from smaller homeland islands comming down to about 50K of supplies
Besides that there is about 150K of supplies returning from Saigon, Singapore, Truk & Palau...

this should get the homelands back into the green zone,

You need at least 10,000 in a base for an industry/factory to be repaired. I see that Tokyo is below 10,000 (which is not good). You need to have over 20,000 at a base for a LCU to accept replacements. I tend to ensure that Tokyo and Osaka are always above 20,000.

What industries have you expanded since the game started??

Note: any supplies on ship doesn't count for that region even if it is docked at the port unloading or loading.

i knew about the repair minimum, that made me realize that my industry was in poor shape (aircraft factories not repairing[:(])
Since i dont have any commandable units to fill out in the homelands i am doing "fine" on refills, Singapore will start replenishing LCU with about 30 to 40K of supplies, which will be my largest reinforcement base for the India campaign.

I havent overexpanded, quiet sure about that one, the only expansions made were;
* engines (about 50 engines total so that shouldnt hurt)
* planes (not sure how many but shouldnt go over 100 additional AC, so no problem as well)
* armament (i expanded a armament factory from 20 to about 60? shouldnt end the world either?)
so i dont think i overexpanded, the only thing that went wrong IMO is exporting to much supply and sucking the rest up with the industry, causing an overall supply shortage, which stalls the industry. Am i right on this one??

ORIGINAL: n01487477

NY59Giants is correct, however you might start by loading a cluster before rechecking & assigning bases to regions... see here for details.

Then re-post the screen shots above and we'll talk more...

I'll have to look into the region clustering. This one looks like it will take some serious time & work, since it's 0:48 over here i'll start doing that tomorrow..
(sorry to keep you guys waiting ..)

Thnx in advance!!
flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

i've set the regions as they should be (i thought i had to set them all by hand, but it was a little bit easier than that [:D])

here are the insights with the new region uploads;

The overall supply level still went down... so it remains a bad situation.. [&:]

these are the plants that are still repairing, nothing serious, mainly airframes

Here you can see that most of the dock works have been shut down to save on supplies etc. should this remain for a while/ be intensified?

if you guys need more info to analyse the situation, just ask [:)]
flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

1941 is over

we took Banjarisman today, after 100 LB bombed it severely and we shifted transports from flying in new fragments
to flying in the remaining support squads. AV is flown in to stop the Allied bombers from destroying the airfield before it can be used.

I'm flying both cap & sweep missions on Banjarisman. The sweep missions to make sure that the allies aint cap-pin' as wel to keep me from airlifting units in.

Sampit is also manned with AV support & a fighter squadron, as well as Jambi.

The DEI is finally starting its 2nd fase and is looking good [8D]

a nice surprise attack, i'm unsure who intended to surprise who, but i could say we surprised eachother [X(]

My brother has been lifting unit fragments to the Andamans by sub, because its a short distance and thus he can make more runs,
to interrupt this i sent in 5 DD's, these werent spotted during the proces, however upon arriving they came upon a STF of 4 cruisers!!!

Night combat is brutal, and i could say that my guys really got the hang of it!
(it might be because the Hibiki is amongst them, as mr. Cuttlefish is likely inspiring the entire forum with his writing [&o] ) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Andaman Island at 23,34

Japanese Ships
DD Nowaki, Shell hits 2
DD Hagikaze
DD Hibiki, Shell hits 3,  on fire
DD Shinonome, Shell hits 5,  on fire
DD Isonami, Shell hits 7,  on fire

Allied Ships
CA Cornwall
CLAA Ceres
CLAA Capetown, Shell hits 1
CLAA Columbo, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DD's that were hit are all in 25-25-10 shape, with good speed, so all will make port at rangoon under sufficient aircover from Moulmein (or Rahaeng)

Yenen is starting to annoy me ... i was very sure that the HQ unit was @ 59 out of 60 miles, but today it was at about 35 again...?
hopefully we can start our push within 2 days, but with this command unit moving on its own its a bit tricky [:-]

Wuhan vs Changsa
Changsa launches 4 additional units over the southern railway, this was a 1 vs 1 stage, where a full japanese division is actually walked in today
since the chinese didn't know of this unit it seems it is very well timed (acutally it came from the coastline, moving over all the roads, so it took ages to get him back into the northern front) 

Hanoi is succesfully evacuated, with 9 supplies left in the town, all units left (about 1150 AV) are at nanning, and will move towards Haiphong ASAP. There is about 900 AV waiting over there for a constant battleline until the Northern front is capable of making a succesfull offensive.

The BB TF at Hongkong is positioned towards Taan, to make a last appearance in Hanoi, when the enemy takes it, after bombing 500 Chinese in one day for a last time, they will move to Hongkong for a full week and then assist in the Java Landings, followed up by the India invasion.

other BB's are @;
* KB (2x Hiei, Kirishima)
* Mini KB (fuso) to try and get some bombs into its thick hull instead of the small CVE/L which aren't as bomb-proof
* Bombing Rabaul (Mutsu) and later midway
* Bombing Chinese (6 BB's)

Allied CV's
No sign of them ..
Lunga, Amboina, Kavieng & Tarawa are all equiped with at least 2 mavis, Nell or betty squadrons for nav search, but nothing turns up.
port intel shows no capital ships on the map atm (not even on ceylon) since the CV's should have turned up by now if they'd been heading for DEI
i'd say they did turn towards Suva or another southern island to regroup with the 3rd CV. But there's nothing to really back this up.

Japanese CV's
* KB is south of Rabaul and will become visible tomorrow as it bombs the hell out of it (together with 60 Nell and a bombardment TF this should enable me to finally take Rabaul)
* Shokaku/Zuikaku are running low on sorties and will refuel these in Wake to return to Midway ASAP
* Mini KB is in port in Palau to replenish its airplanes and upgrade a Claude squadron to zero's
(the claudes havent flown any missions, they were replaced by zero's on day 2 of the war, which are now stationed at Kendari) 

Burma;
My forces are bordering to Mandalay, crossed the river from Pagan, so i wouldn't have to shock attack, by doing so half the Allied units retreat towards the north, probably to start building Forts. This leaves 6 Allied units in Mandalay.
Japanese assets here;
2 full divisions
2 150 AV unit
1 tank regiment
2 engeneer units
2 artillery units (of which one is limping behind and hasn't seen a single battle up till now, because the allies are running just as fast as we are [:'(])
This should do the trick.

One more minor setback;
None of the important air missions have flown for 2 to 3 days now, weather is very bad,
and i have about 400 bombers standing still..
* 75 in Manchuria (flying against Yenen)
* 100 in burma
* 100 in PI
* 150 to 200 in China

DEI, CenPac & SoPac are flying normal.

So i'm kinda hoping for some good weather to soften up the enemy a bit, otherwise my units will be having a hard time in the near future

flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

ORIGINAL: flaggelant

Today also sees a plus in supplies!!!

went back to 8.5K (still not much, but about double the amount we had yesterday [:D])
and in the Japanese home country the Total Supply situations goes over 300 K

seems everything is adding up finally, thnx for the support on this one guys!!
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Flaggelant,
I have to get off to work, so quickly ...

Supplies are not used for production, but for repairs. You have a whole heap of factories turned off, which means that you should have gained a surplus of HI in the last turn right ?

If you want to accumulate supplies:
1. Go through and turn off all repairs to your industry in Japan.
2. Import supplies.
Turn back on production (not repairs), this will use HI, not supplies.
Once you start getting a surplus of supplies again, start repairs to "targeted" industries.

Sorry have to go now, but this is the simplistic version.

Damian
stuman

Post by stuman »

" stuman, here's a very steep learning curve for you (and me!), better pay attention! "

I have been closely following you guys. Almost eveytime I read your AAR I have learned something that I go back and apply to mine.

Usually I have say more in threads, but I have nothing helpful to add ! But I am watching and learning. Forge ahead !
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

i know Stuman, it turns me speechless sometimes to [:D]

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Flaggelant,
I have to get off to work, so quickly ...

Supplies are not used for production, but for repairs. You have a whole heap of factories turned off, which means that you should have gained a surplus of HI in the last turn right ?
HI is doing fine indeed, it was just the amount of supply that was being generated that was to low, the last page of tracker gives a nice view on the ways HI & supply are generated, one of which i have to admit i didn't understand much at the beginning [&:]

but i'm starting to get the hang of it now

If you want to accumulate supplies:
1. Go through and turn off all repairs to your industry in Japan.
i indeed turned off all non essential repairs, which comes down to oscar zero and a few transports
2. Import supplies.
Check :)
Turn back on production (not repairs), this will use HI, not supplies.
Once you start getting a surplus of supplies again, start repairs to "targeted" industries.

Sorry have to go now, but this is the simplistic version.

Damian

n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

[&:][&:][&:][&:]

Cheers
Damian

Attachments
reparis1142.jpg
reparis1142.jpg (560.23 KiB) Viewed 205 times
flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

sorry for the confusion there,

i shut them down after starting to use tracker, the print screen was from before i started to think about what was to be shut down and what not
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Sorry mate,
thought this might be the case ... show us some more economic screenshots in a few days of play and we'll see how the numbers are looking ...

Cheers
--Damian--
flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

sure will do, but we're not playing a lot of turns atm
got a festival upcoming this weekend, so it'll take a while before doing an economic update.

the first TF's with supplies are about a good week away from homelands, so it might take some time for repairs to really take place,
in 2,5 week all transports will be back and the production rates will be flying up (at least i hope so [8|])

first things to focus upon in the time to come are;
* kicking some Chinese ass at Yenen
* forming up a decent plan for the Indian invasion (mostly in logistics!)
* and finishing off southern Borneo & starting up the Java & Sumatra invasions

Sopac/Cenpac will be reinforced with several Zero & Betty squadrons to keep the allied carriers at bay during the time KB is supporting the Indian invasion. Not sure on how Wake & Midway are to be supported, but AC can be flown in fast from Kwajalijn i believe. 

flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

Allied CV's ( a BB,CA,CA,CA,CA,CA reading) showed up south of Timor, i'm pretty sure it's the double CVTF.
(Force Z doenst have any BB's ready for action atm)

KB didn't fly against Rabaul due to bad weather, however the sheduled deliberate attack was succesfull and Rabaul finally fell 
(due to bombardment missions & bombing flights from previous days)

This results in the Sopac planning coming back on track, without KB being sighted, it hasn't been spotted since it's ASW action against a sub near Kwajalijn.

Because KB is still unreavealed i will move them to Truk, replenish and move into the DEI, earlier than initially planned, but this way the time sheme also fits better with the invasion of India. Shokaku/Zuikaku are to finish off the mess left at Midway, together with the Bombardmentforce that left Rabaul, right after it fell today.

As a sidenote;
* The southern PI fell today as well, this frees up some AV for further offensive moves into the DEI.
* HQ unit in Yenen will arrive in about 2 days (51 out of 60, so probably 2 days) with about double the AV and making about 500+ casualties with every bombardment this shouldnt last long.
* withdrew a ARM reg from central China to join the main force leaving for India. Another one waiting on the Manchurian coastline.
* starting to hope that Palembang doesnt take to much damage from the upcoming battle, with +/- 150 AV it should be short and effective,
The oil Situation around Singapore, Saigon, Hongkong & formosa could be a lot better. 

stuman

Post by stuman »

I am still following your AAR , I haven't started mine yet with my brother.

flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

it's allways good to know that your not talking to yourself [:)]

As a result of the sinking of a CL by jap 5 DD's near the Andaman isl. i retreated the remaining 2 DD's
since 2 DD's wont make it against the remainder of the allied Cruiser TF, and they wouldn't be a real ASW TF anymore either

To catch another allied raid against the Andaman's i set up about 75 Betties/nells to try and hit anything coming in,
There have been several transports TF's sighted trying to get malayan fragments out of the Andamans.

to my big surprise today i encoutered CVL Hermes with 20 Betties, there was no CAP at all (i dont know what Hermes' starting setup was?)  
i was a bit disappointed at the end of the fight, as it ended with only 1 Torp hit. it will take her out of the scene for a while, but a sinking would have been cooler 

Idea's on the Allied CV's in the DEI;
are they guarding Java, Timor, or moving on towards India, to try and attack a TF that will sail without KB protection?
The Allied CV's werent sighted this turn, so i'm guessing they'r either behind Java, or in OZ (to replenish).

In China, there is a front forming south of Wuhan, which will probably end up tied even as well, the HQ unit in Yenen
went from 51 to 59, as predicted, the deliberate attack is sheduled for tomorow, as the unit will be in the hex by then [8D]

Another point i'm thinking about is what to do with mini KB??
I dont want to run them into the 2 CV allied TF, but i'm unsure if they'll be strong enough to join up with Shokaku & Zuikaku to threaten the entire PAC area.
flaggelant

CV Zuikaku reported hit ..

Post by flaggelant »

Last turn resulted in my first real heartbeating moment of fear for my carrier..

It started with my brother not sighting the CV's the last 2 turns, this has led him to the believe that i have left midway without aircover and
thus he moved in a squadron of dauntless. Due to bad weather Zuikaku who was the only CV with sorties left didn't sortie at all (as did the allied bombers)
Due to me setting cap to midway instead of just normal cap (why i did it is stil a mystery to me to...)
A flight of the dauntless' made a succesfull strike against CV Zuikaku, scoring 2 bomb hits in the proces.

Zuikaku is now at 03 00 08 looking at this damage i asume that the dice gods must be favoring me [&o][&o][&o]

She will be moving to Wake, to see what the damage does, docking in and then evaluating the situation.
i'm guessing her to move up to 10 to 15 Sys damage because of the small fires. Shokaku, who is 2 hexes out of wake herself will move in directly to provide cover.

Mini KB who went fishing east of PI to finish of 3 ships moving out of Manilla will move out to meet the CV's because i have a feeling that the allied CV's will be trying to intercept my CV's on the way home (since the 2 bomb hits could have easily disabled the flight procedures he's probably asuming to be fighting only 1 carrier)

Other stuff happening;
sinkings DD pillsbury & 4 Allied transports (1 near andaman isl, the rest by mini KB east of PI)
Yenen sees its first succesfull attack, results are 1:1, but all forts are reduced to 0, next attack will commence in 2 days.
HQ unit from Nanning decided to move off of the railroad tracks and into the Jungle... don't know why, but this wil delay my fallback towards Hanoi.
Sumatra is reinforced with 2 arm. units to speed up the assault and prevent a lethal stalemate, which would destroy the resources & oil, which are so badly needed 

and last but not least, a PT boat sinking due to overloading;

Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
PT TM-5, Shell hits 24, Bomb hits 2,  on fire,  heavy damage
PT TM-12, Shell hits 8,  on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x A6M2 Zero attacking at 100 feet
4 x A6M2 Zero attacking at 100 feet

i actually see now that the PT boat isn't even confirmed sunk at the moment !!!
SierraJuliet

RE: CV Zuikaku reported hit ..

Post by SierraJuliet »

Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
PT TM-5, Shell hits 24, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PT TM-12, Shell hits 8, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x A6M2 Zero attacking at 100 feet

i actually see now that the PT boat isn't even confirmed sunk at the moment !!!

Cool. I'm sure that PT is in the bag.
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'
flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

sure hope so, my brother planted 10 PT's off the Balikpapan Shoreline, i've had several TF's pay a visit,
but it cost me 2 PG's so far... so i went over to strafing, which bags 1 or 2 PT's a turn, takes a while, but at least it doesnt cost any ships [:@]

I got a rounding up force of 6 PG and 3 APD moving down to Balikpapan, to finish off the last remains of the TF (should be only 1 or 2 PT's left by then)
Together with 3 subs thats his total commitment to the region (after i torped Force Z of course [:D]) so i'll be chasing these guys out ASAP.

After clearing all ships south of Borneo, the BB force camping at Hongkong will move upon southern Borneo, together with some NLF/ nav guard from Jolo. Sampit and Banjarisman both supply CAP allready, so even without KB it shouldn't be a real problem

When this passage is cleared i will move trough with KB (which will be resupplying from Jolo until this job is done), so that it can move into
position for the Java invasion force, planned for Kragen, by the 4th div.
The combination of KB and the BB force will make for an easy landing
and protect me from the Allied Carriers, which i believe to be lingering behind Java, within striking distance of my beach head, but out of range of KB.

whilst this operation runs in the DEI, my main Indian army is still prepping and resting in Singapore and Hanoi.
In the CEN PAC Mini KB, Shokaku/Zuikaku and a bombardment force (1BB 4 CA) will move against midway, escorting the South seas detachment

After these operations are completed i will evaluate losses and counter offensives of my opponent.
main priorities will then become;
* Port Moresby (can't move there without CV support...)
* SOPAC ? (haven't figured out how far to move into this region, but the solomons & gilberts are allready mine)
* OZ (...? no clue, how this will be moving, but i don't think i will get much of a chance to move in there, only window of opportunity would be with CV support after taking PM )
* India (I'm still freeing up arm. units from China,Manchuko & Japan and resting units, most naval assets from DEI will move into the Indian assault)

stuman

Post by stuman »

I liked this last strategic map you prepared.

flaggelant

Post by flaggelant »

I like to use that map as it gives a nice overall view to nt like about it

there is one thing i dont like about it;
it doesnt cover western India... so my campaign either has to stay out of india, or i have to figure out another way to show that theatre

actually there's a second part i dont really like;
having to send all those naval assets to Midway...

midway is starting to turn into a second Rabaul .. added to that is that it is bombed by B17 almost every day,
this will end once my CV's are positioned at Midway again.

Zuikaku made port in Wake and fires went out to a system damage of 5, call me one hell of a lucky person [&o]
Mini KB, moving in from the mariana's is folowed by the south seas detachment, another 150 AV + bombing & bombardments should
finish Midway for once and for all..

There is an Allied division flown into Midway, rising its AV to about 70 by now, which is the same i have over there
With the undisrupted allied forces and allied bombardments, he'll probably be planning for a deliberate within a short period of time,
so my CV's are needed badly!

and a new screeny from the China situations;

most noteworthy over here is that a lot of important units decided to get off of the railroad into the jungle...
including the Burma HQ and the Guard DIV.... needless to say, this delays all operations in the western frontier..

The burma HQ will be picked up by my BB force in a fast transport (not sure if fast transport works when not in a city hex, but its worth the shot), which will bombard Pakhoi on their move towards Borneo,
hopefully whiping out about 500 chinese and making them cautious to coming alongsides the coasts in southern China.

SierraJuliet

Post by SierraJuliet »

Flaggelant.... I like your screen shot and attached information of India/China. 

Can't you just see some general hopping mad about the troops going their own way.  Hang on a minute that's you isn't it.  Maybe you need to get down to the front line and make a few examples so that these cross country jaunts are nipped in the bud. 
Kido Butai, although powerful, was a raiding force, and this is exactly how the Japanese understood its usage. 'Shattered Sword'

Return to “After Action Reports”