Europe at War - great game, if it had AI

Commander – Europe at War Gold is the first in a series of high level turn based strategy games. The first game spans WW2, allowing players to control the axis or allied forces through the entire war in the European Theatre.
Hard Sarge

RE: Europe at War - great game, if it had AI

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Dave Ferguson

Whatever you do don't touch the convoy values. Adding a 'isolationist USA' option is pointless. Anyway didn't the UK have to pay for everything they got from the USA? Its what bankrupted the UK and I think we are still paying off the dept?

Also beware of a Japan first option. Roosevelt knew who the most dangerous enemy was, Germany!

don't blame us, building all those big bombers is what broke you, besides, most of the trade deals, were buddy deals, we will give you 50 DDs and you will let us use some of your AFs you are not useing near us (of course, some people got rich, but they didn't charge full price)

Charles

got to disagree a little here, yes the US started gearing up for war, when everything that was going on, started going on, it took that time for it to be ready

we were quickly expanding way before we got into the war
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

Just a short remark here. It's clear that you have to make up your mind whether you want to have a hypothetical WWII, or have one more close to history. I say that because the USA is a special case. Remember that she was isolationist, and didn't gear up because Poland was invaded. If there was much gearing up at all before Pearl Harbor, it probably wasn't (guessing) until the Battle for Britain.

Hi.

I am very clear what I am seeking.

Many events in WWII often turned on a dime: Hitler not taking Dunkirk before the evacuation; Spain remaining neutral; Hitler not reinforcing Rommel in North Africa...., etc...

"Alternative" actions for these events and more are historically plausible. They add flavour to a game of WWII without being outlandish or unhistorical. And they could be included as toggle options.

If Germany attacks Poland, war footing should increase for the Allies. The USA starting gearing up fairly early.

Hitler tried to woe Spain into the war, but Franco didn't care for the terms. Hitler wanted the Japanese to attack the USSR in Siberia and the Port of Vladivostock, but they concluded a pact with the USSR instead and opted to push south.

These are all historically plausible.

I don't want Holland to take over the world, and I don't want Italy to become a superpower. But I feel that most people who have read a bit of WWII history are fully aware of the many IFs that could have occurred had the conditions been correct, or if certain leaders had made different decisions.

These options could be presented as toggles to allow the player to flavour or spice up his game. Do you allow for Siberian reinforcements? Present it as an option. Do you allow for a % chance of Spain joining the Axis? Present it as an option. Etc...

These options and many more provide for re-playability.... while keeping things historical....

It would be pretty boring if every game played the exact same way...

Cheers!

Alright, I understand your point, but my point was that if you were thinking that historically nations geared up for war just because Hitler invaded a country or two, that proved incorrect, at least in the case of the USA. Normally what you said was correct, but the USA was a major contradiction to that general wargame ruleset we have seen before, and being that the USA was one of the more powerful nations if one is resorting to being more historical with something so very basic like that, then it is important to realize just what an exception to the rule the USA was.

Sorry, but the USA was not the exception to the rule.

While public opinion polls were isolationist, President Roosevelt and the top military brass were doing everything they could to help Britain, and to prepare the USA for the coming conflict they saw looming in Europe and the Pacific. The USA did not exist in a vacuum.

Examples:

1) In 1938 the President authorized the billion-dollar Naval Expansion Bill to raise the navy's strength by 20 percent which provided for two fast battleships, 40,000 tons of new carrier construction and 3,000 naval aircraft.

2) A little later in 1938 Congress was asked for $100 million to build 10,000 aircraft.

3) In 1939, the USA sent Britain and France multi-million dollar arms deals and carried out "neutrality patrols in the western and southern Atlantic.

4) In 1940 Congress voted for $1.1 billion for the US Army; a 70 percent increase in naval strength (to include 11 fast battleships, 11 Essex carriers, 50 cruisers, and 100 destroyers); and the Selective Service Bill to begin conscription was sent to Congress.

5) By late 1940 the USA army went from 200,000 men to 1 1/2 million men.

What I am suggesting is that as war heats up in the game, and as more countries are attacked, then a country such as the USA will increase its war footing and siding with Britain/France on a % basis over time (as it did in the real war).

There has to be opportunity and political costs for a country such as Germany to attack other countries.

Drinking a cool brew; thinking about playing my next wargame....
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Having the work effort go up on each DoW sounds a bit like another game :) It would be good to have some cause and effect here but I'm not sure thats teh way to go.

Maybe neutral nations generate trade with you & you lose that trade when you DoW with them. Maybe there is a PP cost to each DoW, like in 3rd Reich (I think?).

Maybe a combination of things woudl work. The problem is this kind of thing is hard to balance and there are generally loopholes or side effects. E.g. it might end up where there is no point in attacking the minor neutrals because it brings the major nations in to the war too soon.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

interesting, but, isn't that part of the idea, don't pick on neutrals, or the big boys may get mad
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

From what I seen so far, seldom does Sweden or Spain get invaded and that is despite there is no political penalty. The loss in production and manpower is not the only disadvantage but also that if you invade neutrals then you might be losing the battle for Egypt or the Battle of Britain since you have split your forces too much across the board.
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead developer of:
World Empires Live http://www.worldempireslive.com/
CEAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18
CNAW http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=52

geozero

Post by geozero »

If adding diplomatic/political options is not possible in the current state of the game, then perhaps we should focus on the play balance based purely on military.

In general, I agree that the AXIS are a bit strong and overwhelming, with the exception of the U-Boats. These seem wholly ineffective, easily spotted and destroyed.

I've made a suggetsion on another thread to allow some units the ability to move-attack-and move again. Particularly that dealt with Armor units as I think it would give a chance for breakthroughs (blitzkrieg), etc. But now I think that should be the case with Subs. By allowing the player to move-attack-move again, it could easily help in keeping subs "hidden" a bit more. The opponent would have to use better judgement and greater number of units to search and destroy subs. This would be accurate historically, and may help balance a bit.

Militarily speaking we should also be able to build forts so that for example the Soviets can build forts in front of Moscow or Stalingrad, etc. Also, I'd like to see more ports added, particularly Cherbourg.

ON a last note, the Brits really need to have better reinforcements in North Africa, perhaps there should be a way to receive units from Inida/S. Africa, etc. Egypt and the Middel East should not just crumble.

And the whole oil expenditure for the Axis should be revised. With that toggled on the Germans run out of oil by around 1941-42, which is unrealistic. What about increasing oil production from Ploesti?

Anyway, while the AI has been discussed to the nth degree, as I said perhaps we should focus on what can be changed for better balance/realism (even if these become additional "options") from a military side, rather a diplomatic side.
JUST SAY NO... To Hideous Graphics.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: firepowerjohan

From what I seen so far, seldom does Sweden or Spain get invaded and that is despite there is no political penalty. The loss in production and manpower is not the only disadvantage but also that if you invade neutrals then you might be losing the battle for Egypt or the Battle of Britain since you have split your forces too much across the board.

got to disagree, with why not many invade these areas, there is nothing to be gained from doing so, and based on how the game works, you have a very fine timeline to follow

to be honest, down the road a bit, I think most Axis players will start to leave Denmark and Norway alone too
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Having the work effort go up on each DoW sounds a bit like another game :) It would be good to have some cause and effect here but I'm not sure thats teh way to go.

Maybe neutral nations generate trade with you & you lose that trade when you DoW with them. Maybe there is a PP cost to each DoW, like in 3rd Reich (I think?).

Maybe a combination of things woudl work. The problem is this kind of thing is hard to balance and there are generally loopholes or side effects. E.g. it might end up where there is no point in attacking the minor neutrals because it brings the major nations in to the war too soon.

Some interesting ideas here.

If you don't want to go the "increasing war footing" route for neutral nations, then maybe have the following:

1) PP cost for DOW on each nation. Makes Axis think twice about when and who to attack.

2) The major nations still at peace should receive a PP percentage boost to their production totals each time the Axis DOW on a nation. This would help simulate the USA's steady preparations for war (which happened in history). Thus each Axis DOW adds more PPs to the USA totals.

3) Make Norway worth invading. Give it high value. Both UK and Germany fought early over this country for the rich iron ore and heavy water.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

Norway had little Iron ore - pre-war shipments of Norwegian ore (as opposed to Swedish ore shipped through Norway) were about 10% of total Swedish shipments.

Narvik was a port for the trans shipment of Swedish iron ore during winter when the main Swedish port was ice-bound.  However as the war progressed more and more ore was shipped from ice-free Swedish ports - Narvik had slightly more than 1/2 the Scandenavian ore trade in 1938, dropped to less than 10% of it in 1941, and recovered to be about 1/4 of it in 1944.  See http://www.sturmvogel.orbat.com/SteelCoal.html

I can't see any reason why DOW'ing a country should cost PP's. Other games have an adequate system in that DOW's make some neutrals shift closer to a wartime footing in terms of industrial output and also closer to declaring war - that is the appropriate response IMO.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
targul

Post by targul »

System works fine as is.  There is no need to make people attack places that I can see.  I always invade Norway anyway it is easy and produces adequate points. 

I have had one player invade Spain.  I still dont know why since he didnt take Gibralta.  The prceeds from cities is the same as Yugoslavia so it is a much better target.  Also Yugoslavia is much easier to beat then Spain.  Spain had a good force.

By avoiding many areas I can see how the Germans might really speed themselves up.  I can see them even getting into Russia very early.
Jim

Cant we just get along.
Hell no I want to kill something!

1st Cav Div 66-69 5th Special Forces 70-73
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

ORIGINAL: targul

System works fine as is. There is no need to make people attack places that I can see. I always invade Norway anyway it is easy and produces adequate points.

I have had one player invade Spain. I still dont know why since he didnt take Gibralta. The prceeds from cities is the same as Yugoslavia so it is a much better target. Also Yugoslavia is much easier to beat then Spain. Spain had a good force.

By avoiding many areas I can see how the Germans might really speed themselves up. I can see them even getting into Russia very early.

HI :)

We should distinguish between playing other humans and the AI.

Humans can do anything.

However, when playing the Allies against the Axis AI, we want to make sure the AI has the incentive to attack. So for Norway, to make sure the Axis AI may want to attack it, give Norway something that the AI will prize highly. Same thing for other countries it might invade.

These attacks could take place based on a random percentage scale.

Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

Hi.

I am very clear what I am seeking.

Many events in WWII often turned on a dime: Hitler not taking Dunkirk before the evacuation; Spain remaining neutral; Hitler not reinforcing Rommel in North Africa...., etc...

"Alternative" actions for these events and more are historically plausible. They add flavour to a game of WWII without being outlandish or unhistorical. And they could be included as toggle options.

If Germany attacks Poland, war footing should increase for the Allies. The USA starting gearing up fairly early.

Hitler tried to woe Spain into the war, but Franco didn't care for the terms. Hitler wanted the Japanese to attack the USSR in Siberia and the Port of Vladivostock, but they concluded a pact with the USSR instead and opted to push south.

These are all historically plausible.

I don't want Holland to take over the world, and I don't want Italy to become a superpower. But I feel that most people who have read a bit of WWII history are fully aware of the many IFs that could have occurred had the conditions been correct, or if certain leaders had made different decisions.

These options could be presented as toggles to allow the player to flavour or spice up his game. Do you allow for Siberian reinforcements? Present it as an option. Do you allow for a % chance of Spain joining the Axis? Present it as an option. Etc...

These options and many more provide for re-playability.... while keeping things historical....

It would be pretty boring if every game played the exact same way...

Cheers!

Alright, I understand your point, but my point was that if you were thinking that historically nations geared up for war just because Hitler invaded a country or two, that proved incorrect, at least in the case of the USA. Normally what you said was correct, but the USA was a major contradiction to that general wargame ruleset we have seen before, and being that the USA was one of the more powerful nations if one is resorting to being more historical with something so very basic like that, then it is important to realize just what an exception to the rule the USA was.

While public opinion polls were isolationist, President Roosevelt and the top military brass were doing everything they could to help Britain, and to prepare the USA for the coming conflict they saw looming in Europe and the Pacific. The USA did not exist in a vacuum.

Examples:

1) In 1938 the President authorized the billion-dollar Naval Expansion Bill to raise the navy's strength by 20 percent which provided for two fast battleships, 40,000 tons of new carrier construction and 3,000 naval aircraft.

2) A little later in 1938 Congress was asked for $100 million to build 10,000 aircraft.

3) In 1939, the USA sent Britain and France multi-million dollar arms deals and carried out "neutrality patrols in the western and southern Atlantic.

4) In 1940 Congress voted for $1.1 billion for the US Army; a 70 percent increase in naval strength (to include 11 fast battleships, 11 Essex carriers, 50 cruisers, and 100 destroyers); and the Selective Service Bill to begin conscription was sent to Congress.

What I am suggesting is that as war heats up in the game, and as more countries are attacked, then a country such as the USA will increase its war footing and siding with Britain/France on a % basis over time (as it did in the real war).

There has to be opportunity and political costs for a country such as Germany to attack other countries.

What you have there is an accelerated pattern, but I'm still not convinced the USA was ready for war in any form, though naturally the navy had to decide earlier when it came to building ships. The only mark you have there that might be attributed to poland would be #3, all the others are "possible" reactions to either the invasion of France or the later Battle of Britain. If you don't believe this, notice how paltry the US Army was according to those statements as it was a mere 200,000 until late 1940. Clearly that stems from the invasion of either the major nation of France and/or the possible invasion of England. While I cannot make a very strong case of USA isolation due to your data, I can tell you that it wasn't ready on 12/7/41 and that it certainly didn't gear up some major effort due to the minor nation of Poland being invaded. After you add up all those factors, only then can you even come close to making a case that I anticipate you would want to see out of this game (it didn't all happen on 9/39).

You simply can't put the USA on full war footing due to what was happening in Europe, much less Poland, if that's what you have in mind. Their war footing, even in just the general sense, would be nothing like the war footing for both England and France. If it's some more universal truth that nations gear up when "other" nations are invaded, especially on completely different continents, then I would have to ask just how many nations geared up for the current Iraq situation, or for Korea or Vietnam for that matter. I realize that the USA is often more a mother hen than a lot of nations are, but even she wasn't that way in WWII just because France and England decided to declare war for Poland and do absolutely nothing for the longest.
Warfare1

Post by Warfare1 »

Examples:

What you have there is an accelerated pattern, but I'm still not convinced the USA was ready for war in any form, though naturally the navy had to decide earlier when it came to building ships. The only mark you have there that might be attributed to poland would be #3, all the others are "possible" reactions to either the invasion of France or the later Battle of Britain. If you don't believe this, notice how paltry the US Army was according to those statements as it was a mere 200,000 until late 1940. Clearly that stems from the invasion of either the major nation of France and/or the possible invasion of England. While I cannot make a very strong case of USA isolation due to your data, I can tell you that it wasn't ready on 12/7/41 and that it certainly didn't gear up some major effort due to the minor nation of Poland being invaded. After you add up all those factors, only then can you even come close to making a case that I anticipate you would want to see out of this game (it didn't all happen on 9/39).

You simply can't put the USA on full war footing due to what was happening in Europe, much less Poland, if that's what you have in mind. Their war footing, even in just the general sense, would be nothing like the war footing for both England and France. If it's some more universal truth that nations gear up when "other" nations are invaded, especially on completely different continents, then I would have to ask just how many nations geared up for the current Iraq situation, or for Korea or Vietnam for that matter. I realize that the USA is often more a mother hen than a lot of nations are, but even she wasn't that way in WWII just because France and England decided to declare war for Poland and do absolutely nothing for the longest.

Hi Charles_22:

I certainly agree with many of your sentiments.

The USA did not step up to a high war footing like Britain and France.

The USA was indeed a special case, and it was a real tightrope to walk for those wanting to get into the war and those opposing it.

For a long while (until Pearl Harbour) public opinion polls were largely isolationist, even though the public sympathized with China and Britain.

Roosevelt and the military brass were playing a very delicate game: trying to appease the isolationists while at the same time, trying to prepare the USA for the coming war they knew the USA must eventually fight in Europe and the Pacific.

It was this "slow creep factor" where the USA war footing can be seen. In addition, to those points I listed above, the USA gave Britain 50 DDs, sent troops to relieve British forces, extended shipping patrols, carried out Lend-Lease, etc, etc...

And it is these areas where the game should take special note: that the USA did not exist in a vacuum. Each Axis attack was met with a measured USA response (see above). Roosevelt knew that France, and later Britain, were the first lines of defense for the USA. He had to keep them in the war.

The USA had a deadline of 1942 before it thought it would be ready. However, Japan (Dec 7/41) and Germany (Dec 11/41) caught it still less than prepared, especially given the fact that the USA could not get onto a war footing UNTIL it was actually in the war. Plus, it takes time to build and complete BBs, CVs, etc....

So, as far as the game goes, the more the Axis attacks, than the neutral USA should slowly increase its war footing and it should receive PPs (to simulate increased funding for armaments).

Cheers!
Charles2222

Post by Charles2222 »

Examples:

Hi Charles_22:

I certainly agree with many of your sentiments.

The USA did not step up to a high war footing like Britain and France.

The USA was indeed a special case, and it was a real tightrope to walk for those wanting to get into the war and those opposing it.

For a long while (until Pearl Harbour) public opinion polls were largely isolationist, even though the public sympathized with China and Britain.

Roosevelt and the military brass were playing a very delicate game: trying to appease the isolationists while at the same time, trying to prepare the USA for the coming war they knew the USA must eventually fight in Europe and the Pacific.

It was this "slow creep factor" where the USA war footing can be seen. In addition, to those points I listed above, the USA gave Britain 50 DDs, sent troops to relieve British forces, extended shipping patrols, carried out Lend-Lease, etc, etc...

And it is these areas where the game should take special note: that the USA did not exist in a vacuum. Each Axis attack was met with a measured USA response (see above). Roosevelt knew that France, and later Britain, were the first lines of defense for the USA. He had to keep them in the war.

The USA had a deadline of 1942 before it thought it would be ready. However, Japan (Dec 7/41) and Germany (Dec 11/41) caught it still less than prepared, especially given the fact that the USA could not get onto a war footing UNTIL it was actually in the war. Plus, it takes time to build and complete BBs, CVs, etc....

So, as far as the game goes, the more the Axis attacks, than the neutral USA should slowly increase its war footing and it should receive PPs (to simulate increased funding for armaments).

Cheers!

Well that does sound like a proper increase then. I was quite afraid that it was a matter of making things extremely simple, such that if Britain anf France had major reasons to start building up, then everybody, especially the US, would build up at those two country's rate too.

Yes, I have seen videos of US training sessions, which Hitler saw as well, which he rocked with laughter at, and it's not difficult to see why. They had guys with a machine gun which had a "wooden gun" that wasn't even bored out, and then trucks with a sign put on them, which in very large letters said "Tank". I have no idea when that film was shot. Contrast that to the alleged training of the SS, where some of them allegedly, or maybe all of them, at least in the early going, I just don't recall the details, were supposedly ordered to dig themselves a trench before the approaching tank ran them over. As ludicrous as that may sound, I have heard that they for sure were actually having men go through training with live bullets, such as when they crawl on the ground under barbed wire. If they raised their head, there's a pretty good chance they would had been hit by bullets.
JonBrave

Post by JonBrave »

ORIGINAL: firepowerjohan

Game starts on normal difficulty by default so if we want to make it challenging then we still have to decide if that should be for the newbie player who never played wargames before, regular casual player or expert who played all games in this genre for years and years?

I read your pain in deciding what should be "normal", and from your previous long post.

Simple question: why not put a choice on difficulty screen selector that asks user is s/he:
  • newbie to computer war games
  • regular played a few, won a few, lost a few
  • expert
and adjust your "normal" level of whatever from that.

Then you wouldn't have to heart-search over which one your human player was, would you.........
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Not to necro an old thread of arguing about "what if's vs boring "realistic" events. Isn't it wonderful someone made "Making History I and II"? [:'(] I find that it's the best game of WWII in putting the "what if's" first and foremost. The AI is pretty good in it also, playing as Italy in hard mode the American AI rolled up my book like a squirrel runs up an old lady's leg in church.[:'(]

One game the America's allied with Germany, guess who won? [:'(]

Return to “Commander - Europe at War Gold”