Round 2: McClellan is back! Oh nooo! vs Marquo (CSA)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
Aurelian

RE: Round 2: McClellan is back! Oh nooo! vs Marquo (CSA)

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

I might be utterly wrong but I think it's better to aim at Harper's Ferry [:)]

My reasoning: even if you capture Manassas the Confederacy can easily recapture it, I think. And you will have lost an opportunity to grab the first stone in the Valley (HF).

If you succeed and take HF (and the Confederacy almost cannot stop you), you force them to divert forces to the Valley or you might take the next stone (Winchester) and then the last stone (Strasburg).

Therefore IMHO HF (in fact the valley) is more important.

That's how I see it [8D]

if you capture and convert Manassas to Union control, the Mac events don't fire, and you save 10NM. Can't do that in CW2 unless the Rebel is asleep.

(Yes, in my current PBEM, I took HF. And yep, I have an opponent who doesn't care for the "everything east" game killer.)

The way it stands, since PGT's army forms in Manassas, HF is the better move. (If you don't rail, they go through Leesburg, so you get that too.)
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

[center]Late May 1862[/center]

No big changes in the Potomac area. I have various choices (Fredericksburg or Manassas) but I still don't know what the choice will be [8D]

One thing I know, the choice will be an offensive move!

Attachments
111.jpg
111.jpg (116.27 KiB) Viewed 284 times
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

But in the west my hordes are on the move!

The Kentucky Department Army under Buell made it to Bowling Green. This army has got er... only one corps (Gilbert's) with one division. Let's see if they manage to kick us out of here.

Attachments
222.jpg
222.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 284 times
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
TulliusDetritus

In the Mississippi area not too bad I would say [8D]

I think Grant's move has been a strategic success and a tactical draw though. The best battles are obviously the ones you win without firing a single bullet.

Had I fought on Marquo's terms, I should have assaulted the thick rebel stack across the river in Charleston (in front of Cairo that is). A very risky proposition. Therefore bypassing them was a must.

Now there is only a weak rear-guard in Charleston, given that Marquo reacted moving the thick stack to er... Island 10! There was a battle, a draw, and Grant was forced to retreat. He was still in the hex (not enough days to leave). And despite we are outnumbered 2:1, we are STAYING the same! No surrender! Swamp and Foote's ironclads with bombard orders might help after all

Here I 100% know what I want to do. Pope will arrive at Fort Henry in one day. His destination will be unchanged. He is ordered to grab this place.

At Cairo I have two forces:

1) the Army of the West (Halleck): their not inmediate task is clearing the western shore of the Mississippi.
2) Rosecrans's Mississippi Command Army (Grant and Pope are commanding corps of this very army) will advance to support Grant, in case things go wrong. I am detaching one division to make sure they arrive quickly to Columbus (Kentucky)

And more or less this is it [8D]

Attachments
111.jpg
111.jpg (98.6 KiB) Viewed 284 times
TulliusDetritus

Anyway, as for the Corps composition, this is what I have to say.

Ideally you can have up to four divisions. I also want to have every possible support unit (see screenshot). In fact, you can see there is an artillery unit. I will soon replace these artillery units (each Corps or Army -if they are filled with forces and want them to fight on their own) with the über Rodman artillery (under construction at the moment).

Attachments
222.jpg
222.jpg (18.32 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Question.  How do you attach support at the Corps level?  Obviously you can do it at Division level, but I cannot get the little green add button to light within the Corps dialogue box.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Question.  How do you attach support at the Corps level?  Obviously you can do it at Division level, but I cannot get the little green add button to light within the Corps dialogue box.

My bad, sorry [:)]

I used the wrong word (attach). I should have said "merge". They are part of the stack, independent that is, in theory under the direct command of the Corps or Army bosses.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

FYI, the Signal Co. and Hospital are redundant with the HQ Support unit. You only really need the HQ support unit.

I like the Rodmans, but my concern is that including them in the Corps will slow the whole stack down by 30%.

I like the Hospitals. I am not sure if Signal Co. is worth it or not. Engineers are worth it, IMO, because you can dig quickly and aid against counterattacks
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

FYI, the Signal Co. and Hospital are redundant with the HQ Support unit. You only really need the HQ support unit.

I like the Rodmans, but my concern is that including them in the Corps will slow the whole stack down by 30%.

I like the Hospitals. I am not sure if Signal Co. is worth it or not. Engineers are worth it, IMO, because you can dig quickly and aid against counterattacks

I prefer the 20lbs over Rodmans. That speed issue.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
TulliusDetritus

Ah, I thought the effects were cumulative. They are not: I did a test and indeed some of these support units are redundant, would be better used elsewhere.

As regards the Rodmans I will have to pay attention to their slow movement rate (and use instead the 20 lbs).

Thank you [&o]
TulliusDetritus

[center]Early September 1862[/center]

An update [8D]

General overview. No big changes. If anything Marquo is advancing in Missouri: he's recaptured Springfield. Given that I am fighting in the Mississippi area, these Confederate troops are better located in Missouri if you ask me.

Oh, I am also trying to replicate history. I am allocating resources to amphibious operations. The New Orleans operations has just started [8D]
TulliusDetritus

The Potomac Area.

I tried twice to assault Manassas. I was defeated, took heavy losses and was forced to retreat. Conclusion: the Confederacy is way too strong there.

So I am trying another approach. It is a Mini Anaconda plan. The idea is to more or less surround the enemy and thus force him [?] to leave the area. One pincer in the east: Fredericksburg (not yet in our hands), and the other pincer in the west, coming from the Shenandoah Valley: New Market (captured this very turn).

Attachments
111.jpg
111.jpg (117.08 KiB) Viewed 281 times
bugwar

Judo

Post by bugwar »

Interesting play.
What would keep him from cutting your supply lines?
TulliusDetritus

In Kentucky I had ordered my hordes to assault the enemy stack in Bowling Green, to kick them out of here. But we were trashed and they kicked us out instead [:D]

Oh well, no matter what, we're coming back again!! Watch your back, Marquo!

Attachments
222.jpg
222.jpg (154.99 KiB) Viewed 281 times
TulliusDetritus

In the Mississippi, Grant is still in Island 10. Pope's Corps finally captured Fort Henry and advanced to Humboldt. The enemy stack there (not a small one) left before our arrival.

A small division will go after Dover (see map).

Attachments
555.jpg
555.jpg (100.98 KiB) Viewed 281 times
TulliusDetritus

RE: Judo

ORIGINAL: bugwar

Interesting play.
What would keep him from cutting your supply lines?

Good question. I too plan to cut his supply lines with these movements [8D]

Well, I am more or less forced to do this (the brutish approach ie unleash the wild crazy rhino did not work [:D]). I am following the path of least resistance. So in theory I should be discretely pouring troops to the flanks, pincers.
TulliusDetritus

And Missouri [8D]

So, as I have said, Marquo was on the move here. He obviously poured many troops and recaptured Springfield. Now his Indian leader is besieging Jefferson.

But I am trying a sneak, coward attack [:D] Some thugs coming from Kansas should try to torch some depots in his rear: Springfield and the one one hex away this city.

My force in Rolla will go after Watie (my spies told me they might be soon running out of firewater! [:D]

Attachments
666.jpg
666.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 281 times
TulliusDetritus

And New Orleans. Well, the two forts at the mouth of the river. I don't think the city will easily fall. Marquo should be sending a force there [;)]

Attachments
777.jpg
777.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

RE: Forts, one thing I have noticed is that if you ASSAULT the fort, you capture the guns. If the garrison surrenders, you don't.

For that reason, you should assault in both those spots if you can; you should have enough troops

You want a battery to close the Mississippi there, keep the Rebels in the river, and also blockade New Orleans

If you assault and capture enough forts, you'll eventually end up with a surplus of Coastal guns, which can be moved elsewhere for various purposes; I used some to close off key points on the Mississippi river
TulliusDetritus

[center]Late October 1862[/center]
ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

RE: Forts, one thing I have noticed is that if you ASSAULT the fort, you capture the guns. If the garrison surrenders, you don't.

For that reason, you should assault in both those spots if you can; you should have enough troops

You want a battery to close the Mississippi there, keep the Rebels in the river, and also blockade New Orleans

If you assault and capture enough forts, you'll eventually end up with a surplus of Coastal guns, which can be moved elsewhere for various purposes; I used some to close off key points on the Mississippi river

Thanks for the tip. One of the forts was assaulted, and yes, I got the guns. The other I still can't assault, no breach [:)]

Alrite then. The Potomac.

Well, as per the Mini Anaconda plan, first objective was grabbed: gap between Fredericksburg and Culpeper; a strategic place as here there is a rail juncture. And without a fight, so fair enough [8D] Now, the enemy has lost the rail line to Manassas. Supply can still pass (Charlottesville => Culpeper => Manassas), and that's the objective of the western pincer (Shenandoah Valley forces). I still don't know the target: it's either Culpeper or Charlottesville.

Anyway 2-star boss Phil Kearny will be in charge of the force in the gap (I send him this very turn). I also will reinforce this force with one division minimum. As I said, I am discretely pouring troops to the flanks.

And for some reason I cannot create more corps? Are there limits? [&:]

Attachments
111.jpg
111.jpg (121.89 KiB) Viewed 281 times

Return to “After Action Report”