CSA Western Theater Commander

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Treefrog

RE: CSA Western Theater Commander

Post by Treefrog »

In July 1861 I favor making Joe Johnston the TC in whatever area the CSA deems most important to have initiative; as I see it he has a 60% chance of getting initiative before weather and date factors kick in. Having initiative is critical to commitment chances of reaction forces.

Cooper will serve until someone better presents himself.

I leave A.S.Johnston as AC in the area I deem most important. His "3" attack gives him a 50% greater chance for initiative. Initiative translates into a greater chance at battle commitment for the reaction force. A unit must be committed to battle before the AC defensive rating takes effect. I tend to place a greater value on factors that lead to battle commitment than factors that provide modifiers if a unit is committed. Eventually his high mortality rate will do him in. Typically by then you will have other good candidates for AC.

I immediately appoint Polk and Twiggs as AC for a number of reasons:
1. They both generate 4 PPs per turn; if you leave those spots empty you get only 1 PP.
2. Twiggs, lame as he is, only costs 8 PPs to relieve. Smith would be better at 3.2.4 but with only 10 CR you have to wait at least two turns for him to increase CR through a battle. During those two turns, Twiggs generated 8 PPs. So after two turns you are "break even" with Twiggs, plus any additional initiative and/or training benefits he may have generated. If it takes longer to obtain any other candidate for AC, you are even farther ahead on PPs. When you get somebody better, sack him.
3. Polk also generates 4 PPs per turn. I use him until someone better presents himself.
"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

Return to “The War Room”