Baton Rouge guns block movement from Gulf into New Orleans?

From the legendary team at 2 by 3 Games comes a new grand strategy masterpiece: Gary Grigsby’s War Between the States. Taking gamers back to the American Civil War, this innovative grand strategy game allows players to experience the trials and tribulations of the role of commander-in-chief for either side. Historically accurate, detailed and finely balanced for realistic gameplay, War Between the States is also easy to play and does not take months to finish.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

tbriert

Baton Rouge guns block movement from Gulf into New Orleans?

Post by tbriert »

I am engaged in a hotly contested PBEM game with a talented opponent right now, and I just suffered a major setback due to something I think is wrong with the game.

My Union forces occupy New Orleans, Ft. Jackson, Ft. St. Philip, Natchez, Lafeyette, St. Landry, St. James, and virtually all of Texas. The rebels have a garrison isolated in Baton Rouge, with plenty of heavy guns. My main Union force in Natchez, and also my force in New Orleans, was unable to be reinforced because Confederate guns in Baton Rouge, which provided opp fire opportunities on Union troops being transported into New Orleans. I find this to be ridiculous. Baton Rouge is far upriver from New Orleans. If the Union posesses New Orleans, and has control of the Gulf forts and the opposite river bank, they should be able to sail reinforcements directly into New Orleans and debark troops there.

Can someone familiar with the map/game design comment on why this is so? Unless I hear a convincing argument to the contrary, my thoughts are that this is a mistake that needs to be corrected in the next patch.
JAMiAM

RE: Baton Rouge guns block movement from Gulf into New Orleans?

Post by JAMiAM »

For what it's worth, this is going to be fixed in the next patch.
tbriert

RE: Baton Rouge guns block movement from Gulf into New Orleans?

Post by tbriert »

Well, while it wont bring back my losses in this game, it is good to hear that this is going to be fixed.  Thanks for the info JAMiAM.
izziewerner

Re: Baton Rouge guns block movement from Gulf into New Orleans?

Post by izziewerner »

If you’re looking to make a trip from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, you should be aware of the different modes of transportation.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War Between the States”