tennysonbull flag mod & scenario

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding.

Moderator: Gil R.

tennysonbull

tennysonbull flag mod & scenario

Post by tennysonbull »

greetings all.

this is my first attempt to mod Forge Of Freedom, and it took me a few days to figure out exactly how it all worked.

what is in the mod? two things.

1.) An update of Shep's flags. I did not add any new flags, but I did make the 5th division (red) USA corps flags available for players to select for their divisions, and I reorganized the flags to set them up by their level of organization, with the exception of the general's flags that Shep added - these are available for any level of command. Unused spaces are numbered, making it a bit easier to add new flags if someone is so inclined.

I should note that I did this because I play with the division flags turned on and I wanted to have my USA Divisions 1-5 with the flags that were in the AcwFlags file, even though the 5th division (red) flags fell below flag #750 and were not read. I removed the various USA brigade flags within these divisions to make my re-organization work - if you used those for your brigades, this mod is not for you.

One other note on the flags - the default USA and CSA flags I used have gold trim. Just my preference...

The software I used to work on the flags - GIMP, Paint, and Excel.

2.) An update of Shep's special units. No additional units - I just updated the flags where I needed to reflect the fact that I changed the order of the flags.

I should say here that Shep's mods were invaluable to me and give him credit for his work. Very nice.

what about the scenario?

I named the scenario "war of secession" and it is a copy of the "the coming fury", with a start in July 1861. it varies from "the coming fury" in two ways:

1.) All starting units on both sides have special unit flags. For the CSA, I randomly selected state flags and my two favorite CSA battle flags for all of their starting "regular" units (as opposed to "special" units). For the USA, I went for a more uniform look. I did this because I like to look at my armies periodically to see how the veteran units have fared, and the special flags make it easier to pick them out from the units that come later as the result of musters, conscription, purchase, etc.

2.) I set both sides up to have starting money, labor, iron, and horses equal to the starting production levels of their provinces. This roughly doubles the standard values.

The scenario is zipped up here: here. If you want to try it, unzip the contents into your "Scenarios" folder and copy the contents of the "Data" folder inside the zip to your "data" folder (make a backup of your data folder first to avoid overwritting your AcwFlags and AcwSpecialUnits) and do the same with the flag graphics, i.e. copy them from the Gfx\Flags folder in the zip to your Gfx\Flags folder, backing up your flags first.

That's really about it. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Attachments
ACW_HWFlags.jpg
ACW_HWFlags.jpg (242.59 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Gil R.

RE: tennysonbull flag mod & scenario

Post by Gil R. »

Sounds interesting. Any chance you might post a few screenshots showing what the armies look like with the flags attached?
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
tennysonbull

Post by tennysonbull »

sure.  i need to make two edits first:

1.) flags - there are several "hard-coded" flag references, and i thought that i had addressed each of them, but i see that when you buy new fleets for USA they are using the union jack that i moved to a new position to keep the organization straight in my head.

2.) scenario - i renamed the USA army in northern virginia "army_of_the_potomac" not realizing that the CSA army in the same area starts with that name and that it would play havoc with the commander assignments.  I've updated the CSA army to "army_of_northern_virginia" to fix this, updating both the AcwStart file and the file that assigns commanders to commands (i don't remember the filename, but i'll include it's proper name when i post the update).

Note that I'm vacationing for a few more days, but i'll post a few screenshots this weekend when i get back to my computer with FoF installed.

tennysonbull

Post by tennysonbull »

flags & scenario updated here. To make the scenario a little more fitting to the title "war of secession", i backed up the start to late april 1861.

also, here is a screenshot from the opening turn of the scenario, showing the USA 2nd corps with the appropriate corps & division flags.

Attachments
USA_Start.jpg
USA_Start.jpg (744.34 KiB) Viewed 437 times
Dreadnaught

Post by Dreadnaught »

thanks for this, it saves so much time! i just reinstalled FoF, always loved the flag mod, but it's a major pain adding the flags to the correct units. now its done for me, thx much!
Fanaticism obliterates the feelings of humanity.
Edward Gibbon
Prussia

Post by Prussia »

Merry Xmas all:

This is a very nice looking mod, but unfortunately all the links are long gone. Would anyone have the zip file available for uploading/posting?

Thanks in advance.
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

It's a shame that this not downloadable...
Rod T DeMore

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”