Another PBEM

Post here to seek opponents for multiplayer match-ups.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

terje439

RE: Another PBEM

Post by terje439 »

I am late for work, so will reply tomorrow.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

ORIGINAL: lenin

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

How does someone who paid no attention to the game for the first seven years of its duration know who tried to win it and who didn't?

Tell me when you last tried to prevent a premature British win? [:)]

And the sum total of combats, Russia vs Britain, Naval or land totals exactly?

I haven't attacked Britain, as I'm not a believer in stabbing my allies and neighbours in the back.

Hey, I'm not the coward who is allowing my client states to fight my wars for me! That would be you and Austria fighting Russia on Britain's behalf [;)]
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Mus

Post by Mus »

Hey! At least I tried to win! Which is more than you can say about Prussia or Austria . . . guess they both prefer to bend over and let the English sow get on top . . .

We realize the Czar is on numerous medications, some of which can cause blurred vision as an unfortunate side effect, but those are actually Lions on the English royal coat of arms, not Pigs.

We also take umbrage with you referring to British allies who you attacked without cause as client states. The entire world should also note that the Russian Navy has refused to sail from St. Petersburg to meet Admiral Howe who has been politely waiting just off shore with 20+ of the line offering battle for countless months now.

Regards,

Mus Rex Britannia.

BTW Brits are already in.
Mindset, Tactics, Skill, Equipment
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Wow, 46 glory in one turn for Britain last turn. At that rate it is surely not long till the sow . . . erm, I mean the fat lady sings? It has been a fun match, and I'm looking forward to the post-game, which I hope guys will actively participate in.

I think we must have all learned a lot, both in terms of individual play style and in terms of insights for the game devs for patches. We should really try to work together to define what those lessons are so that the WCS guys don't have to read this entire thread (which is largely just trash talk anyway).

BTW: how the heck do you see what some other nations National Morale is at?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Mus

Post by Mus »

BTW: how the heck do you see what some other nations National Morale is at?

Diplomacy button, relations tab, country details button.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Bill just creeps in (by 3 min) for this turns Speedo 1st class, Bar with Green bits round the edges, England and Russia also in so 4 to go.

All the Best
Peter
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

PS to be totally accurate Mus they are Leopards on Englands Royal ‘Coat of Arms’. [:)]

All the Best
Peter
Mus

Post by Mus »

ORIGINAL: Kingmaker

PS to be totally accurate Mus they are Leopards on Englands Royal ‘Coat of Arms’. [:)]

The blazons call them Lions!

"From the time of his coronation until 1800, George's arms were: Quarterly, I Gules three lions passant guardant in pale Or (for England) impaling Or a lion rampant within a double-tressure flory-counter-flory Gules (for Scotland); II Azure three fleurs-de-lys Or (for France); III Azure a harp Or stringed Argent (for Ireland); IV tierced per pale and per chevron (for Hanover), I Gules two lions passant guardant Or (for Brunswick), II Or a semy of hearts Gules a lion rampant Azure (for Lüneburg), III Gules a horse courant Argent (for Westfalen), overall an escutcheon Gules charged with the crown of Charlemagne Or (for the dignity of Archtreasurer of the Holy Roman Empire).

Following the Act of Union 1800, his arms were amended, dropping the French quartering. They became: Quarterly, I and IV Gules three lions passant guardant in pale Or (for England); II Or a lion rampant within a double tressure flory-counter-flory Gules (for Scotland); III Azure a harp Or stringed Argent (for Ireland); overall an escutcheon tierced per pale and per chevron (for Hanover), I Gules two lions passant guardant Or (for Brunswick), II Or a semy of hearts Gules a lion rampant Azure (for Lüneburg), III Gules a horse courant Argent (for Westfalen), the whole inescutcheon surmounted by an electoral bonnet. In 1816, after the Electorate of Hanover became a Kingdom, the electoral bonnet was changed to a crown."

When I was looking this up I found out that people actually argue about this topic, Lions vs Leopards.

As an American spectator allow me to make the following observation: Leopards DO NOT HAVE MANES, whereas Lions DO.

[:D]
terje439

Post by terje439 »

WTF!? I did not get a saying in agreeing to a cease fire? Or am I slowly getting alzheimers??

Replied as well.

Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Austria in so 3 to go.

All the Best
Peter
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Well I guess that little old stick in the mud me will go with both Shakespeare & the Royal Collage of Heraldry, J P Brookke-Little, Richmond Herald of Arms in particular; strictly speaking the correct description you quoted should read Guiles (the Red field), 3 Leopards Guardant(Although in Englands case the Guardant is unnecessary through some 800 years of precedence; Lions when walking are referred to as Leopards [Lions passant] as opposed to Lion rampant, as in the Scotts Arms or Couchant {which are both Lions}), Or (Yellow, the colour of the Leopards).

Heraldic descriptions Mus are as much as anything else a form of Shorthand so for eg, a new ‘Coat of Arms’ authorised by the Royal Collage for some new Lord of the Manor or Peer of the Realm etc. would use a heraldic terminology that could be readily understood by any provincial Collage or Local Herald in England or abroad.

Even without the benefit of American observations folk way back then (Englands ‘Coat of Arms’ has been accepted in its current form since the later Norman Kings) were aware that Leopards didn’t have manes, as suggested above the term "Leopard" applied to Englands Arms is meant to denote a walking lion or if you like, a “Leopard-like lion”.

Hope this helps sort your confusion out. [:)]

All the Best
Peter

Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Or am I slowly getting alzheimers??

Sorry can't resist!

Errr ... where did the "slowly" bit come from Terje? [:D]

All the Best
Peter
terje439

Post by terje439 »

HiHi

Or am I slowly getting alzheimers??

Sorry can't resist!

Errr ... where did the "slowly" bit come from Terje? [:D]

All the Best
Peter

lol too true I'm afraid [;)]

IronWarrior

Post by IronWarrior »

In case we're still going, I will be unavailable this weekend starting from Friday for a couple/few days. Thanks to everyone for the game, looks like it's about to wrap up and congrats to Mus as GB. This game was a tremendous learning experience of the game system.
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

HiHi

Turkey in so 2 to go.

All the Best
Peter
Mus

Post by Mus »

Hope this helps sort your confusion out. [:)]

Not at all. Seems since this odd use of the word leopard dates to Norman times we can blame the French.

[;)]

BTW the modern blazon for the royal arms from the source you cited appears to call them lions in all cases. Is the use of the word leopard for the walking lions truly going extinct? Something insisted on by "traditionalists" but no longer in common usage?

PS It doesn't matter to me if we play out or call it a game and start up a thread talking about various bugs/balance issues/whatever we noticed in play.
lenin

Post by lenin »

I'd like to see the victory screen if possible. I only play pbem and I've not seen it yet!
"Imperialism is the eve of the proletarian social revolution"
Mus

Post by Mus »

I'd like to see the victory screen if possible. I only play pbem and I've not seen it yet!

Oh, lol, I have never finished a game either TBH. Is there even a victory screen to see?

[:D]
Matto

Post by Matto »

Yes, it is ...in PBEM too ... very exciting ! [8D]
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

Mus

Post by Mus »

ORIGINAL: Matto

Yes, it is ...in PBEM too ... very exciting ! [8D]

In that case lets play out please. I would like to see it.

I came really close to finishing a path of napoleon single player game but got hit with a bug that made achieving one of the goals impossible. Someday I want to try it again post patch.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”