Fleet/Army/Unit Names

Please post any comments regarding limited beta versions available via the Members' Club here.
TheOx

Fleet/Army/Unit Names

Post by TheOx »

Is there any way possible to extend the name fields for these units? I'd love to have some Black Watch Guards or a 1st Imperial Army, but the name fields are too short. I am accustomed to naming my fleets after the Admirals who command them, but I cannot even fit AdmCornwallis into the field, or even AdmCornwall! You start out with a "British Army" at the 1792 start, but if you ever change that, you cannot change it back due to naming field constraints. Is there a solution for this problem? I hate to nitpick, and its certainly not a game killer, but I would enjoy this feature.

In all other regards, excellent work on the game, I am enjoying it profusely.
Naomi

RE: Fleet/Army/Unit Names

Post by Naomi »

Why was the field shortened in the first place? I remember it had been longer in the first two versions. Btw, land units are not suitable for long names, such "Imp Guard" and "Grand Armee I" as adopted by default are long enough to block a peep at these units' strengths in an overall provincial military examination.
Russian Guard

Post by Russian Guard »

Agreed that this is not an important issue compared to many others, but it is fun.

Playing Russia I have been naming my Corps simply "1st Corps" or Art Corps" or "2nd Cav". That works, but isn't as cool as "1st Guard Corps".

Hmmm...think I'll switch to a naming convention similar to EiA...like "IV Inf" or "II Cav"

Naomi

Post by Naomi »

My version is still simpler - GA for Grand Armee.

Wanna know if the AI will one day learn to rename their diplomats.
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

..or at least singularize them. Right now it's "Diplomats" so I imagine that one icon represents a whole scheming cabal of lying backstabbers.

I believe that the max length was changed to fix some formatting issues (maybe for some other resultions, not sure, I have never had any). In a way the change is annoying because the length is too short. There are some armies at start that violate the rule, and if you build another army and want to name it in the same style as the first one you're out of luck.
Rocoteh

Post by Rocoteh »

Crown of Glory is an excellent game.
In fact one of the best I have seen since I bought my first
Avalon Hill game more than 40 years ago.

A "chrome-issue":
I would like to see an option to name the divisions also.
That would be a great improvement.

Rocoteh
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

The name lengths were shortened because it's possible with any longer length to enter a name that won't fit into the game boxes. I added code to truncate the names when they appeared in these boxes, but this seemed to cause some confusion among our testers as it made it appear that the names they entered were being changed by the program.

If I were a bit cleverer -- and maybe I can do this for the next patch --, the text input gizmo would limit your entry by pixel width rather than by character width, so that longer names were possible provided that they not go outside the box.

TheOx

Post by TheOx »

Thats for the feedback, like I said no biggie, but its something I'd like to have. Like cup holders in my Ferrari. [:D]

The previous statement in no way implies that I actually own a Ferrari
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

The name lengths were shortened because it's possible with any longer length to enter a name that won't fit into the game boxes.

Just wondering, was this causing an actual crash for some people? Because if not, what difference does it make if a name won't fit into the game boxes? I mean, if someone makes a name that's too long, and it won't fit or whatever, then they can edit that name so it does, right?

The current limit is too restrictive. I can't have the Grand Army I gotta have the Grand Arm. I can't have the French Fleet, and I can't have VIII Corps, and whatever else won't fit into the 9 character limit. Please put it back they way it was or give me an option to change it somewhere.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

ORIGINAL: carnifex
Just wondering, was this causing an actual crash for some people? Because if not, what difference does it make if a name won't fit into the game boxes? I mean, if someone makes a name that's too long, and it won't fit or whatever, then they can edit that name so it does, right?

No crash. It was just confusing to the beta testers. Compared to the other things we were/are working on for the patch this is a fairly minor issue, so frankly I was just trying to find some way of sweeping the issue under the rug -- allowing people to customize their names without the confusion of having auto-truncated names and names that spill outside of the box. I'll consider some way of allowing longer names without confusing people, but the best way to do this doesn't immediately come to mind.
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

Let it auto-truncate, back it out, please please pretty please :) The fix to this issue is already built in; the user can re-edit the name to shorten it themselves. I know it's not a big deal but it sure adds a lot of flavor to my game to be able to have long names.
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

Heh, amusing. :p
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

I'm sorry I'm going to have to ask you to keep to the new forum character limit ;p

your new reply is
Heh, amus
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

I'd prefer tagging just this --> [:'(], if I'd to go short.
Rocoteh

Post by Rocoteh »

Any plans for an option to name divisions?

I have more than 1 000 ground units and ships named
in my WW2-Global scenario available at Civfanatics (68 000 members).
(Current download 7 400 times. Its free.)

Players assure me that the names and the option to name new units
are heavy chrome-factors. Its also a positive memory-aspect.

Rocoteh
Soft Heap

Post by Soft Heap »

ORIGINAL: Rocoteh

I have more than 1 000 ground units and ships at Civfanatics (68 000 members).
(Current download 7 400 times.)

Rocoteh

Huge figures! Are they relevant? I rename my own units (I cav/II inf/III art/etc.)!
Hand in hand, Kameraden!
Rocoteh

Post by Rocoteh »

ORIGINAL: Soft Heap

ORIGINAL: Rocoteh

I have more than 1 000 ground units and ships at Civfanatics (68 000 members).
(Current download 7 400 times.)

Rocoteh

Huge figures! Are they relevant? I rename my own units (I cav/II inf/III art/etc.)!

Yes, for sure they are!
I have invested countless of hours in the scenario.

Do you mean that there already exist a way to rename divisions?
In such a case how?

Rocoteh
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

Yes, in the latest beta patch you can pretty much rename everything. Divisions, leaders, diplomats, ships etc.
Rocoteh

Post by Rocoteh »

Yes, in the latest beta patch you can pretty much rename everything. Divisions, leaders, diplomats, ships etc.

carnifex,

That is excellent!
Where I can download the patch?

Edit: The problem have been solved.

Rocoteh
Malagant

Post by Malagant »

I'm sorry I'm going to have to ask you to keep to the new forum character limit ;p

your new reply is
Heh, amus

Haha! Perfect, Carn!! [&o]
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"

Return to “Limited Beta Feedback”