movement/map oddity

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
gwgardner

movement/map oddity

Post by gwgardner »

see screenshot for example

To move a corps to the hex north of Vienna, from a hex adjacent to that hex, leads to a long multi-hex movement all the way to Pressburg, across the river to Vienna, and again across the river.

to reproduce, load the Crisis on the Danube scenario and attempt to order one of the corps nearby to the hex north of Vienna.

Attachments
Clipboard04.jpg
Clipboard04.jpg (87.79 KiB) Viewed 548 times

Rasputitsa

RE: movement/map oddity

Post by Rasputitsa »

I have had the same problem with this hex (65,18) and not sure if it is something to do with the 'banner' (town name) occupying the this same hex. However, it is something to ask Frank to fix in v3.10.

The image shows HOHENZOLLERN set for what should be a two hex move.

Meanwhile checking to see if this happens with any other similar hexes, but nothing so far.

Attachments
Objectivereduced.jpg
Objectivereduced.jpg (144.5 KiB) Viewed 548 times
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Having nothing better to do I tried this and switching the town names off on the old map seemed to allow shorter movement to the hex where the Vienna name is - not direct but Hiller followed the road north, then north west, then south.

Now, about that 3.10 ....?

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

@gwgardner - continuing my idling I looked at AARs for World War One Gold - and yours is the last entry - from 2010 !

I've never really got beyond playing the Tannenberg and Palestine scenarios.

I admire the one man team (Calvinus) that made this game, like Frank Hunter on COTD and Peter Fisla on TOTH.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

@gwgardner - continuing my idling I looked at AARs for World War One Gold - and yours is the last entry - from 2010 !

I've never really got beyond playing the Tannenberg and Palestine scenarios.

I admire the one man team (Calvinus) that made this game, like Frank Hunter on COTD and Peter Fisla on TOTH.

That goes back a ways. Good game.

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Having nothing better to do I tried this and switching the town names off on the old map seemed to allow shorter movement to the hex where the Vienna name is - not direct but Hiller followed the road north, then north west, then south.

Thanks, I thought that I had checked that !

I replaced the saved game with the stock town banners :

Here I have set the objective for HOHENZOLLERN as the hex just North of NIKOLSBURG (66,09) where the banner for the town is overlaid), but the unit info panel shows the objective has been set for the town of NIKOLSBURG itself (66,10).

This seems to have been in the game from earlier versions, in that if you set an objective for a hex with a town banner graphic, the objective will default to the town hex itself.

The fix (altipueri) is to turn off 'Map Names' (button left side panel) and then you can set a hex where a town name image sits.

This problem is with all versions of the town name 'banner' files (original, or mods) and was not noticed earlier because it caused only a one hex error. However, in 'Crisis on the Danube', to make that one hex jump, when the bridges are down, is a long and very noticeable diversion.

Attachments
Objective 3.jpg
Objective 3.jpg (172.54 KiB) Viewed 548 times

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

If this means I found a fix for a bug then it is the high point in my computer gaming life so I can retire now and puff my chest out with pride as I slide into slumber with a faint smile of satisfaction.

Perhaps my grave should be marked with the epitaph: "Solver of the Crisis On The Danube bug."

:)

Time for a drink anyway.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Time for a drink anyway.

Why are you stopping at one ? [:)]

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

If this means I found a fix for a bug then it is the high point in my computer gaming life so I can retire now and puff my chest out with pride as I slide into slumber with a faint smile of satisfaction.

No self respecting super hero would give up so easily, there are many more and larger bugs lurking in the deep dark micro-chip forest to slay, the World needs you.

altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Thanks to you Rasputitsa the bottle of wine is now nearly empty.

I feel it important that the field of glory be left open for those not yet in receipt of an old age pension.

(Corrected for an alarming number of typos which shows you shouldn't drink and post)

PS - Pass my regards on to Frank; I haven't nagged him for a while about 3.10.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Frank has confirmed that the Town name banners can cause selection problems and the ultimate solution would be to have the game automatically switch off Map Names, whilst the player is making 'set objective' selections.

I am not sure if that is necessary, as the player can always manually turn off town names, whenever setting objectives in these town label hexes, using the World famous 'altipueri Crisis On The Danube fix'.

Players using the original CHEMKID map mod will still have town names embedded in the map, if the temporarily turn off the town flag banners.

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube Support”