New to the game - Basic Questions

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

rkr1958

Re: New to the game - Basic Questions

Post by rkr1958 »

Additional question - Should attacking Corsica (Vichy) make Vichy hostile? It's not part of Metropolitan France as I understand it. But attacking Corsica does make Vichy Hostile.

P.S. I see this post makes a new page. Please don't overlook my main question on Vichy at the end of the previous page.
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It does look like a bug that no defection roll was made.

As for Corsica, in RAW7, it was always ruled to be part of Metropolitan France for the purpose of Vichy becoming hostile.

It was changed to a territory in CE.
Paul
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

paulderynck wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:38 pm It does look like a bug that no defection roll was made.

As for Corsica, in RAW7, it was always ruled to be part of Metropolitan France for the purpose of Vichy becoming hostile.

It was changed to a territory in CE.
Thanks. I'll post a bug report in the beta section then on no defection roll.
Ronnie
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

The TERR being attacked is a minor country unit and not a Vichy unit. The rule doesn't say "Vichy controlled land units", which would include the TERR. MWIF might be right here by not allowing a defection roll.
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

That is kind of hair splitting IMO. The unit is not a french unit but it is a Vichy French unit. I recognize this is RAW7 and not CE but it seems clear the design intent was aligned with the wording when CE was published. In CE, the rule is: " If Vichy controlled land units are involved in a land combat..."

Nonetheless, I can see the MWiF decision may have come down on the side of the way you interpret this, so it may not be a bug.
Paul
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Wow. Normally I have strong opinions on WiF rules questions. My opinions may not be right, but they are firm. On this one, though, that "Vichy French land units" is completely ambiguous. I have no idea whether MWiF is right here or not.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Ok. Just confirmed, for better or worse, that's how MWIF is coded. That is, no defection roll for a Vichy Terr but just for Vichy French units. Defection rolls were made for both Vichy units below.
999-LC-RES-Vichy-Defection.png
999-LC-RES-Vichy-Defection.png (237.71 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Ok guys, another Vichy question. This has to be a bug but before posting I wanted to check with you rule experts to see if I'm missing something.

(1) CW, Free France & USA have all declared war on and are surprising Vichy.

(2) CW attacks a hex in Corsica, which makes Vichy hostile to the CW.

(3) CW is flying in ground support to the assault against a Vichy Mtn div in Corsica.

(4) However; the ground support isn't DOUBLED.

(5) Shouldn't it be since the CW is surprising Vichy?
999-Surprise-GSPT-Not-Doubled.png
999-Surprise-GSPT-Not-Doubled.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 452 times
Ronnie
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, the ground support should be doubled.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

It should double unless there is a reason why it shouldnt. I checked it is not a woods and I understand the climate is fine...
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Thanks guys. That's what I thought and just wanted to confirm. Bug report posted in the beta tester forum.

FYI: Terrain is Mtn (clear) & weather is fine. So no halving of air due to terrain or weather.
Ronnie
warhero88AB

Post by warhero88AB »

Played this as a board game extensively in the late 80s thru the mid 90s (alas, career, marriage, kids....). Our group of 6 players has long since moved miles apart. Considering this game..... as empty-nest OGs we all now have more time. Can someone point me to a detailed description of how online cooperative mode works so we can determine if this version is a viable option to reasonably siimulate interactiveness and socializing (say via Discord) the old days in the war room. For inst, can all Axis players do their thing simultaneously, ditto Allied?
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

No, everything is strictly sequential, although you can plan all you want. Discord would certainly help, particularly for naval combat. Teamviewer or equivalent might help as well. See some of the AAR's for what can be done, although the AAR's take more work than just playing the game, because the participants are explaining their game to us kibitzers as well as playing it.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

There is how it is intended to work some day, and then ther is how it works now.

In the future, it is supposed to be able to hold succesive actions of players on the same side, but just now, in the multiplayer system (Netplay) as it is, you can only play 1 vas 1. Phases and subphases are done sequentially, but you can change the order of countries however you like and they are not done until you say so, so you can adjust like if it were simultaneous. For example, you can move a CW unit to a hex of a USA stack, but you switch to USA to make place moving a USA corps and then back to CW. Discord or some other means of free communication is advised. The pcs are connnected inide a dedicated Forum, the Netplay Forum.

However, there is a workaround to the 2 players limitation. Some people just use Teamviewer or similars, to give access to other players (who are supposed to own the game as well) and they all play in one of the computers, without using the Forum. This way several people can run each side. And it is free of the netplay exclusive bugs.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Should this move be legal?

XLVII German armor moves 1-hex northeast, picks up the SS Mech which both move 1-hex east and then the 2 corps overrun the Soviet 4th inf div?

If so, I don't seem to be able to do the move in MWIF.
999-Overrun-Question.png
999-Overrun-Question.png (279.33 KiB) Viewed 275 times
Ronnie
Orm

Post by Orm »

rkr1958 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:21 pm Should this move be legal?

XLVII German armor moves 1-hex northeast, picks up the SS Mech which both move 1-hex east and then the 2 corps overrun the Soviet 4th inf div?

999-Overrun-Question.png
No, not a legal move.

Edit: Cut in the relevant rule below.

Cut from RAC: 11.11.6 Overruns
Land units can sometimes destroy enemy units during movement. They do this by entering the enemy hex
and declaring an overrun. You can only conduct an overrun with a single unit, or with a single stack of units that
started the land movement (or Advancing after combat, see 11.16.5) step together.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Orm wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:36 pm
rkr1958 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:21 pm Should this move be legal?

999-Overrun-Question.png
No, not a legal move.

Edit: Cut in the relevant rule below.

Cut from RAC: 11.11.6 Overruns
Land units can sometimes destroy enemy units during movement. They do this by entering the enemy hex
and declaring an overrun. You can only conduct an overrun with a single unit, or with a single stack of units that
started the land movement (or Advancing after combat, see 11.16.5) step together.
Thanks!
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Strategic Bombing/Resource Losses Form
(1) Oil Needed - what exactly do the minimum and maximum numbers represent?
99-PTO-Japanese-Oil-Need.png
99-PTO-Japanese-Oil-Need.png (55.66 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Ronnie
Orm

Post by Orm »

rkr1958 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:41 am Strategic Bombing/Resource Losses Form
(1) Oil Needed - what exactly do the minimum and maximum numbers represent?
- Minimum includes all (oil) units disorganized on land (including ships), and ships at sea that are forced to return to base. Edit: Minimum does not include ships at sea that could stay at sea (CPs, or ships in a higher box, for example).
- Maximum is all at land, and all at sea even those that could stay at sea. CPs, for example.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Even at my games at the board, I almost never use the oil rule, except now with Wifce, which is entirely different.

In WIFFE ( and MWIF), do the ships who are disorganized at sea and stay at sea need to be spent petrol on, to have them organized?

Return to “WIF School”