New Scenario Modification: Europe 1939 - 1945 French Ports +

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

IslandInland

New Scenario Modification: Europe 1939 - 1945 French Ports +

Post by IslandInland »

In the vanilla Europe 1939 Campaign the French ports listed below have a total of 25 port size points. In this mod this total has been increased to 45. I have used Gary Grigsby's War in the West as my yardstick in this as both that game and WarPlan rate port size using a 1-9 scale. Mulberry Harbours are available in that game but not in this. If it were possible or I knew how I would have created two Size 3 ports in the landing hexes in the event of the Western Allies invading Axis occupied France but I have no idea how to do this.

The workaround I have come up with is to increase Cherbourg, Brest and Lorient so as to simulate Mulberries, Operation PLUTO and temporary invasion ports. I chose those locations as the Allied player will most likely invade France either in the Normandy or Brittany regions. Le Havre has been increased because it is a large port in reality and the missing ports of Dieppe, Etaples and Boulogne have been folded into the existing Pas de Calais ports of Dunkirk and Calais. St Malo has been made larger to include the nearby small port of Granville.

To balance this I have decreased the sizes of both Rotterdam and Amsterdam to match the sizes of those ports in GG WITW. This will nudge the player away from feeling the need for Overlord to be purely an invasion of Belgium and the Netherlands and back to northern France being a viable option for Overlord.

This is all a fudge on my part and may break the game or seriously unbalance the scenario. I haven't playtested it so caveat emptor. My reason for doing this is is because I think this is the best WWII grand strategy game available but my main issue with the game is the lack of supply for the Allies in northern France when attempting Overlord. This mod is my way of trying to address that problem.

I accept that others will think the ports situation in France is fine as is and they will not use this mod but for anyone else who is vexed by this then you are welcome to try this somewhat sledgehammer approach.

I made this for my own use but then pretty much immediately decided to share it to anyone who wants it.

French Ports Size from the Loire Estuary to the Belgian Border Amended In This Mod

St Nazaire - 5 (no change)

Lorient - 7 (increased by 5 Mulberry/Temp Overlord Port)

Brest - 7 (increased by 2 Mulberry/Temp Overlord Port)

St Malo - 4 (increased by 1 - Granville)

Cherbourg - 7 (increased by 3 Mulberry/Temp Overlord Port)

Le Havre - 5 (increased by 3 - a large port in reality)

Calais - 5 (increased by 3 - Dieppe/Etaples)

Dunkirk - 5 (increased by 3 - Boulogne)

Reduced

Amsterdam - 5 (decreased by 4)

Rotterdam - 7 (decreased by 2)

Europe 39-45 French Ports +.zip
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by IslandInland on Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
IslandInland

Re: New Scenario Modification: Europe 1939 - 1945 French Ports +

Post by IslandInland »

Installion folder should look like this:
Install location and folder view.png
Install location and folder view.png (104.13 KiB) Viewed 384 times
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester