Equipment256 Napoleonic Mod

Graphics, sound, and database mods.

Scenarios should still be posted in the main 'Mods and Scenarios' forum below
William the Silent

Equipment256 Napoleonic Mod

Post by William the Silent »

Last year (2020), during my 8 weeks at home because of Covid lockdown, I was working on an immens Napoleonic Russian Campaign.
I created a 350x175 2.5 km/hex map and a 168x82 5 km/hex map, using online Michelin maps and my ADCII map creator. Crazy, but I got them done.
Then I created a Division and a Brigade size OOB and put both in TOAW IV only on the 5 km/hex map.

I didn't get any further because of lack of time and all the weather, supply, attrition, fortification rates is hard to get right.

But lately I played a little with the Equipment256 file and put in some of my old Empire II, Age of War icons.
Looks pretty cool and cute I must say. Even at the size of 50x20 pixels you can see every button with the TOAW IV graphics.

Attachments
screen1.jpg
screen1.jpg (113.39 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
William the Silent

RE: Equipment256 Napoleonic Mod

Equipment file:

Attachments
NewBitmapImage.jpg
NewBitmapImage.jpg (89.99 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
William the Silent

My 5km/hex ADCII map:

Attachments
rc.jpg
rc.jpg (800.31 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
William the Silent

ADCII 2.5 km/hex map:

Attachments
rc.jpg
rc.jpg (542.98 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Wow that's a heap of work. Nice. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: William the Silent

Last year (2020), during my 8 weeks at home because of Covid lockdown, I was working on an immens Napoleonic Russian Campaign.
I created a 350x175 2.5 km/hex map and a 168x82 5 km/hex map, using online Michelin maps and my ADCII map creator. Crazy, but I got them done.
Then I created a Division and a Brigade size OOB and put both in TOAW IV only on the 5 km/hex map.

I didn't get any further because of lack of time and all the weather, supply, attrition, fortification rates is hard to get right.

But lately I played a little with the Equipment256 file and put in some of my old Empire II, Age of War icons.
Looks pretty cool and cute I must say. Even at the size of 50x20 pixels you can see every button with the TOAW IV graphics.

Aw will you just look at those little guys!

I love the icons.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."
William the Silent

I could even do WW2. But it would take forever to create all the vehicles, airplanes, ships.

Attachments
WW2.jpg
WW2.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

It looks like you have done this type of thing before. [:)]

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

William the Silent

It started with the idea that I needed a uniform database of all napoleonic uniforms. So I created a few simple basic icons that I could use as basis for creating a picture of every possible uniform.
These were small because then I used EmpireII to create wargames (ancient) and their icons were 40 x 20 pixels.
So I got my own style to create an icon that small.
I noticed that I could use them in equipment256, so I created some napoleonic really quick.

I have created tons of stuff through the years because game companies don't want you to have an editor to create your own stuff. So you have to do it the complicated way.
I used to edit Kevin Zuckers Age of Rifles bitmaps. Complicated and time consuming. But you get skills.[:)]

I can create icons pretty quick as long as I have pictures of for example vehicles that are already standardized. So I would use John Tillers WW2 unit icons to create mine.
I crop the Tiller PzkwIII to the size I need and create my PzkwIII icon out of that in my standardized style.

Attachments
PzG Compan..ot) 12SS.jpg
PzG Compan..ot) 12SS.jpg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 1009 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Brilliant. [:D]

rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

[/quote]

That’s an incredible amount of work, very nicely done. Hope you find time to finish and share with the TOAW community.

Have you made any modifications to the three unit icon files? I can see where you might want custom unit icons to depict specific infantry, cavalry and artillery types.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
William the Silent

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

That’s an incredible amount of work, very nicely done. Hope you find time to finish and share with the TOAW community.

Have you made any modifications to the three unit icon files? I can see where you might want custom unit icons to depict specific infantry, cavalry and artillery types.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards, RhinoBones
In TOAW IV the 3 unit icon files are not editable anymore like in TOAW III. It seems to be rather complicated.
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4953280
But I would like to change them to my preference. There is not much choise.
If it was easier to change it might make more people happy.

Maybe there is a way to show Equipment256 graphics on the game menu screen. Or just the main one of a unit. Let's say from a tank unit you show the main tank(s).

I would share all my stuff with the community if they want it. But I will have to create a text file to tell what every icon represents.
I have no WW2 yet, but I would start with the North Afrika campaign units for instance. Then I do not have to create all WW2 equipment at once. Just the early WW2 stuff.
Btw It's so easy to change them or add different items, colors, etc. Anyone can do it.

Can you tell the guy is carrying an ak-47 (or Stg-45)? [:)]

Attachments
ak47.jpg
ak47.jpg (1.31 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

In TOAW IV the 3 unit icon files are not editable anymore like in TOAW III. It seems to be rather complicated.
But I would like to change them to my preference. There is not much choise.
If it was easier to change it might make more people happy.

Agree that TOAW IV unit icon files are very different from TOAW III, but they are still editable. A person with your graphics skills should have no problem making changes within the TOAW IV limitations. Just be cautious when editing icons with hard coded special attributes.

Note that below this thread there are two unit icon threads for NATO and pre-NATO units. Use them as samples for what you might want to make.

Regards
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
andy77

Post by andy77 »

Very interesting and cool done! Can I download your mod and map?
William the Silent

Sorry for my late reaction. Have not been on the forum for a while.

I'll give you my Russian Campaign file I'm working on. It's not finished, but it will have the 5km/hex map, brigade level OOB and equipment.
I deployed some of the French Army but didn't get further yet. Was still testing combat and all the other parameters for a game have to be created still.
You basically can create a total game out of it.

It's a zipped folder. I hope it has all the right files: equipment256, RC5Km.Bde.eqp and RC5Km.Bde.sce
I added the 2.5km/hex map too (as RC2.5Km.sce)

PS.
1 squad = 10 men
There are 5 levels of quality for leaders. Dependent on his ranking a leader has offensive and defensive strength that adds to the unit quality. If the leader dies the unit loses strenght.

Rb= Rheinbund. Il = Illyrian, Jn = Jerome Napoleon, Bd = Baden, Bv = Bavaria, etc.
Attachments
RC.5km.Bde.zip
(499.95 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
William the Silent

I have another zip file with icons for a Leipzig Campaign with a text file to tell you what every icon represents, from left to right (14 x 15 icons)

It's just the icons I created in ADCII. They are not in the order of a Equipment256 file (they use collumns)
You can create an equipment256 out of it by putting the icons in collumn order.

Attachments
LPZ.zip
(32.1 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
andy77

Post by andy77 »

Sorry for my late reaction. Have not been on the forum for a while.

I'll give you my Russian Campaign file I'm working on. It's not finished, but it will have the 5km/hex map, brigade level OOB and equipment.
I deployed some of the French Army but didn't get further yet. Was still testing combat and all the other parameters for a game have to be created still.
You basically can create a total game out of it.

It's a zipped folder. I hope it has all the right files: equipment256, RC5Km.Bde.eqp and RC5Km.Bde.sce
I added the 2.5km/hex map too (as RC2.5Km.sce)

PS.
1 squad = 10 men
There are 5 levels of quality for leaders. Dependent on his ranking a leader has offensive and defensive strength that adds to the unit quality. If the leader dies the unit loses strenght.

Thank you, I will definitely download your scenarios and study.

Return to “Mods”