TRP 1.3 mini AAR Taxman (Allies) vs Old Crow Balthazaor (Axis)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.
Taxman66

Re: TRP 1.3 mini AAR Taxman (Allies) vs Old Crow Balthazaor (Axis)

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 120

Beginning of Turn Decision Events:
None

Diplomacy:
None

Actions taken not visible on opponents Replay:
So I can’t rail UK or USA units through French owned hexes. That is messed up, and I feel like I don’t want to liberate France due to noncooperation nonsense. On the plus side I saw that this was changed for version 1.4+

I was wondering how Italy had such a plethora of units. Turns out OCB didn’t spend much on research.

Placed a USA Mech reinforcement in Boston and upgraded a TAC and upgraded a Strat bomber (except for ground attack) in New York and Baltimore respectively.

MPP expenditures (excluding reinforcements and upgrades):
USSR – Long Range research (lvl 1), MOT (shattered), INF Corps x2 (shattered) . 17 MPP before EOT
USA – None. 2 MPP before EOT
UK – None. 110 MPP before EOT
FF – None. 72 MPP before EOT
IT – None. 21 MPP before EOT

I may shut down the UK -> USSR convoy next turn. The UK needs MPP for repairs and to buy/buy back units.

End of Turn Decision Events and Diplomacy results:
None

End of Turn Tech Breakthroughs/completed research:
USA Advanced Tanks 76% -> 99%

So contrary to real life, the Soviets will be the laggards in Tank Tech, though they are getting close themselves to level 4.

Pictures:
56 August 5, 1943.jpg
56 August 5, 1943.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 806 times
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
Duedman

Post by Duedman »

Taxman66 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:04 pm I've addressed this twice already on OCB's Youtube comments.
In short, this was made possible by the following:
1) German over commitment in Russia (and to some extent Italy), and under defended France. I wouldn't be able to pull this off, or at least nowhere near as successfully if there had been units in the forts, air defense, and/or a few mech/armor available for counter attacking. Meanwhile his lines in Russia are currently far beyond historical.

[...]
You think it was "over commitment" in Russia? I thought the opposite. I thought all those units in Lybia that could not do much after you stabilized the front would have been a lot better in Russia. 1941 / 42 is the only chance to throw the SU.

But after that OCB had lots if units in Italy and also quite a few in France. And you rolled them kinda effortlessly.
The amount of US aircraft looks a lot for mid 1943 for sure.

With TRP cheap HQs it is probably not too important to seperate US and GB units but still a smart move on your side.
Plus more AA would have surely helped. AA is super powerful in this mod and can be easily integrated into defenses with that 2 range. OCB could've bought those with that frustration money.
I remember at least on instance near Kiev where the old crow indeed took heavy losses from units that would have been supply zero the following turn.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

We're talking about different time frames of said commitment. I was referring to late 1942/early 1943.

I somewhat agree with your assessment of the North Africa campaign. He could have hurt Russia worse with those units he committed to North Africa, probably even taken Moscow in 1942. However, doing that would have accelerated the Western Allies even more. North Africa would have gone done months earlier, leading to everything else going faster too.

I don't believe with competent play that the Axis can win the war with this mod. I so wish that the balancing of the mod was based on that and not tweeked/set to make the Axis victory conditions pretty much contingent on winning the war or holding out to the completely unrealistic fantasy of 1947. Nukes would have ended the whole thing in 1946, and likely the first half of 1946, simply depending on how fast they could be ramped up.

For that matter I wish the base game was designed the same way too.
"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft
gigiduru

Post by gigiduru »

As i said on YT - i agree with you completly. I've played several games on WiE and WaW in PBEM. Indeed axis seems unstopable in the early years but if you cannot translate that into real objectives (say Leningrad + Caucasus in '41/early '42 or kicking the brits out of Egypt/Suez/Iraq (and this is currently impossible bc of the changes done by Lothos) then the game is lost in '43.

Immo you are playing too passive with the soviets. IF i were you i would have lauched a counter-offensive with the soviets (even with 2:1 losses) bc germany isn't able to replace units on all fronts. Once Germany starts taking several turns of dmg that is much higher then their income the war is over in a few months.

My problems are the same concerning Allies. I feel that the ramp up is too sudden. US gets way too much MPP in '42. Combined with the fact that Axis is stuck in NA bc of the 16 units limit + the narrow front at El Alamein it means that the only way to go in this game is Russia.

I feel that every game (TRP or vanilla or any other) is at the base of it a Russia or bust situation.

As for the US i feel that it's income needs to be nerfed in '42/'43. Either that or don't give them such a big fleet when they spawn so that they actually need to build some ships and upgrade them in order to counter a sub threat or an enlarged KM + RM (if axis was lucky enough to get Spain by diplo).
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Maybe.
I want to be careful of my value units (particularly the Soviet Tanks), as if they are lost they take a very long time to come back. To do that I need enough INF to screen them, and the INF has been taking it on the chin so far every time I try to make a push. It will be far worse having to eat lots of INF damage to try and poke any of the fortifications as well.

This is the biggest reason for the early D-Day (Round up). In addition to the fact that France was under defended.

As for the Soviets offensive. I hatched a plan (alluded to in one of the recent posts above) and we are preparing. The stalemate will end. Not imminent, but soon, keep paying attention.
Duedman

Post by Duedman »

This mod is currently totally unwinnable for Axis. Thankfully Taxman did not use those absolutely silly Gigachad Garrisons. If they still have these very good defensive stats, 10 HP and full ZoC Russia could just spam them and then even a dedicated all out attack by Germany would fail.

And yes, Russia will always be the thing that decides the game. Getting into Iraq just isn't worth the tradeoff. You need more HQs than you can spare to finish off the Allies down there AND force the way to Baku.
But this is fine. Still great matches can come from this
johnsaxon

Post by johnsaxon »

As far as I know, Axis win a marginal victory if they hold Berlin in 1945. I don't know how feasible that is.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

When exactly in 1945? I think it's feasible, at least with this version of the mod.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 121

None

Diplomacy:
Italy invests her chit into Saudi Arabia, now at 24% chance per turn to get a hit.
After I take Rhodes, I will switch all these chits into Turkey.
*Note it turns out that the Diplomacy bump for Turkey if the Allies take Rhodes has been removed from this mod, I didn't know that at this time*

USA Mech Corps heads out to sea from Boston, and a reinforcement Mech replaces it.
UK INF Div loads on an AVL from Beirut, destined to either Rhodes or Crete, then probably hopping to the other.

A mixed group of 5 BC and a CL are heading around the west of Ireland towards Scapa Flow. Will decide later if they will come down to support the fighting or simply ensure there are no KM shenanigans.

I’ve decided to wait a little bit longer before cutting off the Murmansk convoy, but will almost assuredly turn it off by the end of 1943.

I know he knows where my Soviet paratroopers are. I’m tempted to move them somewhere else where I could use/surprise him. However, with their location known it does seem to have him commit an awful lot to defend Leningrad, particularly 3 ART units (I guess 1 is a bonus from DAK decision). So I’ll keep the para’s where they are to pin those units. Once I get some ARM Divs, I plan on pressing Leningrad from the north through Karelia.

USSR – MOT (shattered) . 34 MPP before EOT
USA – None. 5 MPP before EOT
UK – None. 3 MPP before EOT
FF – None. 97 MPP before EOT
IT – None. 47 MPP before EOT

None

USA Advanced Tanks completed (lvl 4)

Pictures:
57 August 15, 1943.jpg
57 August 15, 1943.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 718 times
johnsaxon

Post by johnsaxon »

Taxman66 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:18 pm When exactly in 1945? I think it's feasible, at least with this version of the mod.
August 5th 45.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

I know the real date, I'm questioning if that is actually programmed in the victory conditions?
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 122

None

Diplomacy:
None

CAN Med Bomber deploys at Yarmouth.
USA MOT and HQ Clark deploy at Boston, the USAAC Pinata (Airship) reforms in New York.
The HMS Ark Royal and USS Ranger leave the Med and steam west of Gibraltar on their way to the English Channel.
A UK INF Div on an AV plods its way to Rhodes and will land next turn.

Not going to rush headlong into that trap in France and I’m not going to take Paris until I’m 100% sure I can hold it permanently. Given the non-cooperation nonsense I’m not bothering to rush it either. Besides I’d rather the income go to the US and UK than to worthless (militarily at least) France.

Now that there is a lot of weight in France, Russia can afford to start pushing forward. This is somewhat obvious with his backing off and even giving up Rostov and the vast fortifications he built north of it.

USSR – MOT (shattered), ARM Div (no upgrades) . 48 MPP before EOT
USA – None. 16 MPP before EOT
UK – None. 10 MPP before EOT
FF – None. 122 MPP before EOT
IT – None. 78 MPP before EOT

None

USSR Advanced Tanks completed (lvl 4)

Pictures:
58 August 25, 1943.jpg
58 August 25, 1943.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 680 times
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 123

None

Diplomacy:
USA removes a chit from Sweden and puts it into Turkey. Sweden still has 2 UK chits, ensuring no Axis movement.

USA HQ Clark & MOT transport out from Boston to the Atlantic.
USA Mech diverts from its destination and reroutes towards Italy ending the turn about a dozen hexes west of Lisbon.
USA ARM Corps deploys at Boston but needs upgrades.
UK -> USSR Convoy shuts down, formerly 11% (50 MPP).

Thanks to the SU-85s, I believe the damn (pun intended) has burst in Russia.

USSR – None. 9 MPP before EOT
USA – None. 95 MPP before EOT
UK – None. 8 MPP before EOT
FF – None. 147 MPP before EOT
IT – HQ Graziani (5). 24 MPP before EOT

CAN Medium Bomber in Yarmouth is awaiting MPP to operate to Europe and to upgrade.
USSR spent most of her MPP upgrading 8 (of 9) Tank Corps this turn.

None.
Looks like the event moving Turkey towards the Allies for capturing Rhodes didn’t fire.

UK Amphibious Warfare completed (lvl 3)
USA Ground Attack 19% -> 41%

Pictures:
59 September 4, 1943.jpg
59 September 4, 1943.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 655 times
Elessar2

Post by Elessar2 »

OCB alluded to some reasons why you aren't liberating Paris, something to do with operational movement?
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Elessar2 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:14 pm OCB alluded to some reasons why you aren't liberating Paris, something to do with operational movement?
From Turn 120 above:
So I can’t rail UK or USA units through French owned hexes. That is messed up, and I feel like I don’t want to liberate France due to noncooperation nonsense. On the plus side I saw that this was changed for version 1.4+

From Turn 122 above:
Not going to rush headlong into that trap in France and I’m not going to take Paris until I’m 100% sure I can hold it permanently. Given the non-cooperation nonsense I’m not bothering to rush it either. Besides I’d rather the income go to the US and UK than to worthless (militarily at least) France.

Lothos/Dave Martinez also clarified in one of the YouTube responses that it was originally done to simulate issues between UK and France in 1940. However doing that messes things up later so he removed it.

I do wind up liberating France for Role Playing reasons if nothing else.

Though honestly I think the best play (for this situation/version of the mod) may have been to take Paris, then let OCB/Axis retake it knocking France out of the war completely, then take it back again and not have to worry about French owned hexes.
Last edited by Taxman66 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 124

None

Diplomacy:
None

USA ARM Corps transports from Boston to St. John’s.

USSR – Advanced Tanks research (lvl 4). 25 MPP before EOT
USA – MOT (shattered). 29 MPP before EOT
UK – None. 5 MPP before EOT
FF – None. 120 MPP before EOT
IT – None. 62 MPP before EOT

Turkey +6% Allies
Lease Azores from Portugal – Yes
France liberated

USA Industry completed (lvl 3)
USSR Ground Attack completed (lvl 3)

I’m repressing the urge to dance around the room and sound like this guy:
https://youtube.com/shorts/1UsooqVYxfk? ... jK9_-odSmy

Pictures:
None
johnsaxon

Post by johnsaxon »

Taxman66 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:56 pm I know the real date, I'm questioning if that is actually programmed in the victory conditions?
Sorry I don't know! Its just in the victory conditions list in the scenario details, I don't know what happens on that date.
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 125

None

Diplomacy:
Switzerland +7% Axis
Italy transfers her chit from Saudi Arabia to Switzerland.
France invests her chit into Switzerland.
USA invests her spent chit back into Turkey.

USA ARM Corps deploys at Boston
USA ARM Corps moves from St. John’s to the Atlantic

USSR – Ground Attack research (lvl 4). 17 MPP before EOT
USA – Industry research (lvl 4). 103 MPP before EOT
UK – None. 5 MPP before EOT
FR – ART. 49 MPP before EOT
IT – ENG. 6 MPP before EOT

Soviet morale boosted by the liberation of France.
Rejoin Vichy France into France – Yes
I don’t care about the Vichy forces, I don’t like traitors. Particularly ones that used to be heroes, Petain is standing trial! And I won’t be giving him the Napoleon treatment that he got in real life either.

UK S&I completed (lvl 3)

Pictures:
Note screenshots taken before France reincorporated.
60 September 24, 1943.jpg
60 September 24, 1943.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 580 times
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 126

None

Diplomacy:
None

USA Armor Corps (no upgrades) transports from Boston to Atlantic on its way to Italy.
USA Armor Corps deployed in Boston.

USSR – Elite INF (shattered). 17 MPP before EOT
USA – Advanced Tanks research (lvl 5), MTN. 199 MPP before EOT
UK – None. 169 MPP before EOT
FR – INF Corps (shattered). 5 MPP before EOT
IT – None. 56 MPP before EOT

UK is going to wait a turn to buy a unit as they will get the next Production tech level at the end of this turn.

Portugal leases Azores to UK

UK Production completed (lvl 4)

Pictures:
61 October 6, 1943.jpg
61 October 6, 1943.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 543 times
Taxman66

Post by Taxman66 »

Allied Turn #: 127

None

Diplomacy:
None

USA Armor Corps transports from Boston to the Atlantic.
USA Armor Corps continues moving east in the Atlantic and is near the Canary Islands.
USA deploys a TAC in Baltimore.

USSR – INF Corps x2 (shattered), MOT. 56 MPP before EOT
USA – None. 79 MPP before EOT
UK – Advanced Tanks research (lvl 5), Elite INF (shattered). 9 MPP before EOT
FR – Elite INF (shattered). 2 MPP before EOT
IT – None. 107 MPP before EOT

Saudi Arabia +6% Allies

USA Amphibious Warfare 63% -> 81%

Pictures:
62 Oct 18, 1943.jpg
62 Oct 18, 1943.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 522 times

Return to “After Action Reports”