Popularity of WiE Vs WaW

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

OxfordGuy3

Popularity of WiE Vs WaW

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I guess I'm only going by the number of YouTube playthrough posts and recent forum posts, but it seems to me that Strategic Command WW2: World at War seems a lot more popular these days than War in Europe, which makes me a little sad, as having played both, I think that War in Europe is the much better game, at least if you don't mind the restriction of only playing in the Europe/North Africa theatres - the scale of the map offers much greater scope for manoeuvre and skillful tactics and also presents more historically plausible results IMHO.

I'm not trying to trash Waw, it's still a fun game, but I find it less nuanced than WiE. Anyway, just an opinion, but I thought I'd throw it out there, interested to hear what others think.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Shellshock

Re: Popularity of WiE Vs WaW

Post by Shellshock »

World at War is the SC series game I play the least. Since I started with WiE I find the WaW map scale too confining and the Pacific aspect of the war just unconvincing. Of course, that could be due to playing too much WitPAE in the past where you get so much more detail. If you compare the WaW map with an actual world map or globe it seems distorted with Europe enlarged and the Pacific Ocean looking smaller than Asia when it's actually three times larger. Having North America chopped in two seems ad hoc, but that's probably just a limiting factor of the game's architecture. The map edge has to start and end somewhere.

But, most people seem to enjoy the game as is and I have no issue with that. 8-)
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I think I actually would have preferred the WW2 Pacific War done as it's own thing and optimised for that, rather than less than ideal compromises having to be made for both theatres.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
gigiduru

Post by gigiduru »

You guys should try the TRP mod for both versions.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

I'm aware of the mod, but it changes a lot of other things too, which I don't necessarily want, and also for multiplayer not everyone wants to play with a mod, but I'll take another look.
Shellshock

Post by Shellshock »

OxfordGuy3 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:18 pm I think I actually would have preferred the WW2 Pacific War done as it's own thing and optimised for that, rather than less than ideal compromises having to be made for both theatres.
Looks like somebody saw your request mate. :mrgreen:
NotTooBad wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:47 pm A new chapter of Strategic Command is on its way. We are thrilled to complete Fury Software’s WWII trilogy games with Strategic Command WWII - War in the Pacific. Get ready to re-fight the great land and naval campaigns of this amazing theater.

Prepare to avenge the Day of Infamy in our grand campaign. Additionally, five mini campaigns will be available for you to be played. More info will be shared soon, so stay tuned.

But that’s not all, we are also looking for feedback from you. Do you want to be among the first to play the game? Please join the beta and let us know what you think about it.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Shellshock wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:51 am
OxfordGuy3 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:18 pm I think I actually would have preferred the WW2 Pacific War done as it's own thing and optimised for that, rather than less than ideal compromises having to be made for both theatres.
Looks like somebody saw your request mate. :mrgreen:
Indeed! Looking forward to this. :D

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”