Battle for Galicia and Poland scenario - 3.5th version ready!

Jazon

Re: Battle for Galicia and Poland scenario - 3.5th version ready!

Post by Jazon »

Hi,
It worked! I played multiplayer as Central Powers vs. Moongazer who played Russian Empire. We had lots of fun! None of us played this scenario single player before, and our result was stalemate. Many thanks for awesome job! Lots of events gave this game unique flavor!
Jazon
Here you can see front line at the end of the game. CP lost Lemberg and Przemysl, but Germans were just two hexes from Warsaw:D
Gra z Moongazer Stalemate.png
Gra z Moongazer Stalemate.png (2.92 MiB) Viewed 230 times
MoongazerSlitherineSSL

Post by MoongazerSlitherineSSL »

Yeah, it was fun! This scenario is well-crafted and provides enough historical flavour and place for game moves without feeling too railroaded or cramped.
Yet I still wish it was a bit longer, about two more months. By October the situation on the front can still develop into something interesting and game ends just before that. I guess I was hungry for more action :mrgreen:

Also, talking about time limitations and game balance. I have a feeling that the game outcome really is decided at Lodz since it is a condition for Russian victory. Austrians can simply run and escape the defeat by losing NM, going through the Carpathians in just two months is too much of an endeavour, so taking Lemberg and Przemyśl and holding Lodz seems like the easiest and the most logical way for Entente player and taking Lodz while escaping total defeat in Galicia is the most safeproof way to win for the CP player. This is part of reason why I think that the scenario should last for a while longer, it opens up more strategies for both players.
HalfTauter

Post by HalfTauter »

Wow thanks for sharing this battle! I like reading these AARs, especially when its about your mod...
Good that you guys enjoyed it, I did something right then!

Looks like it went quite historical (except Przemysl was taken and not besieged at the end, and the Germans pretty much taking Warsaw guaranteed).

Yes maybe the mod right now makes it a bit too hard to not stalemate, Lodz is quite critical while it is relatively easy for the Central Powers to take it. I did pick Lodz because I felt Russia needed to retain a city closer to the border than Warsaw that is also relatively important. Else Russia would win a minor victory too easily I thought. I also kind of wanted to simulate the importance of Lodz (considering the November 1914 battle around Lodz). Plus Lodz was a huge city, it was one of the biggest cities in Imperial Russia according to the census of 1897.

As for lengthening the scenario: good point. Originally I wanted to include November to also simulate the aforementioned Battle of Lodz (with Von Mackensen's army). But I also kind of wanted to not make the scenario too long. Also with my tests with Beriand one side would already be pretty much destroyed at the end of October (but that's probably because Beriand is a league apart lol).

But lengthening the scenario does open indeed more strategies, since now the Russians are more forced to send forces to Poland immediately after taking Lemberg/Przemysl instead of building up a force to push through the Carpathians. Historically the Russians planned major offensives to break through the Carpathians, until they were kicked out of Poland in 1915.

I will definitely consider these suggestions when I will be back working on this mod. Thanks for playing!

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”