4 Player Game AAR with new PBEM++ (Game 2)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_GGWaW_2

rjh1971

RE: 4 Player Game AAR with new PBEM++ (Game 2)

Post by rjh1971 »

Summer 41

The Wermacht has turn its eyes to the East and displaced its airforce and armies to Poland and Prussia. That gives a small breath to the shattered UK economy. Still to many TF damaged or destroyed have the economy badly shaken. Another sub was damaged.
Hopefully the entry of Russia and the USA into the war will tip the balance.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
kondor

Post by kondor »

F '41.
A quiet turn before the storm.
I've decided against the Barbarossa now. Tim has massive forces waiting for the next turn counteroffensive, so I'll wait for winter or even possibly spring of '42.

England saw one more air battle, this time with more equal results.

Submarines destroyed a few more TF, the usual.

It's interesting to see the losses screen so far. Pre-PH, before any major offensive.
The amount of WA production losses so far, especially in TF-s and INF, are staggering. But it takes a toll on my brave submariners.

Attachments
lossesF41.jpg
lossesF41.jpg (182.72 KiB) Viewed 464 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

I have a question about Rumania (and Hungary). When will they join the Axis forces?
In the manual, I've found only a reference about them getting Pro-axis, not joining, like in this game.
But when will they join? Did I do something wrong to deter them from joining earlier?

Here's the manual Pro-axis part:

"Rumania Border War (75%)

With this Event, Rumania will become Pro-Axis and will gain four Militia units. Additionally,
Bulgaria and Hungary will each shift one state towards the Axis (if already Balanced or Leaning
Axis). For this to occur, the following conditions must be met:
- Rumania is neutral;
- Rumania is a Leaning Axis or Pro-Axis state(i.e., it cannot be friendly, either Leaning or
Pro-, towards the Allies, or Balanced);
- The Soviets must control the Kiev region; and
- The Event check must be successful"
tcart

Post by tcart »

Russia Fall 41
All is ready. The Germans may or may not attack, but we're gaining in strength every turn. I'm sure they can take Leningrad and inflict some losses, especially with a surprise attack. But I'm confident we can quickly create serious problems for them.

Hungary and Rumania's neutrality is certainly annoying for the Germans. I think (!) it's just bad luck. They should have joined long ago.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Western Allies Fa41

All Axis subs in the Atlantic have been taken care of. More may come but the happy days for them are gone for good (or so I hope).

RAF has recovered from its tremendous air losses, advances in research make it possible to match the LW more advanced aircraft.
If it hadn't been for Barbarossa preparations a successful Sea Lion could have been possible.
Three more fighters will be produced that will outnumber the LW and with 4 AA guns the Krauts will think it twice before flying over Britain again.

"Hopefully" the US and Russia will be attacked next Wi42, I will explain that "hopefully" later on.

Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: kondor

I have a question about Rumania (and Hungary). When will they join the Axis forces?
In the manual, I've found only a reference about them getting Pro-axis, not joining, like in this game.
But when will they join? Did I do something wrong to deter them from joining earlier?

With this Event, Rumania will become Pro-Axis and will gain four Militia units. Additionally,
Bulgaria and Hungary will each shift one state towards the Axis (if already Balanced or Leaning
- Rumania is neutral;
- Rumania is a Leaning Axis or Pro-Axis state(i.e., it cannot be friendly, either Leaning or

From the manual

10.4.2 Changing Neutral Diplomacy States

Several player actions listed in this section can improve or worsen their diplomatic relations with
neutral countries. When these actions are taken (such as attacking a rival neighbor as described
below) and a random number from 0 to 99 is less than the Nationality’s Diplomatic Volatility
Rating squared, then the Nationality’s Diplomacy State will change.
For example, a Balanced neutral Nationality’s Diplomatic Volatility Rating is 5 and Germany attacks
another Balanced neutral country. The chance that the former Nationality’s Diplomacy State will
change to Leaning Allied is 25%. This number 5 is squared – multiplied by itself – to result in 25 (five
times five). If the random number is between zero and 24, the Diplomacy State will change (so a neutral
with a volatility of 5 has a 25% chance to change its State whenever it has reason to check for a State
change).
The only exception to this is Trade Agreements, where success occurs if a random number from
0 to 9 is less than the Nationality’s Volatility Rating.

Attacking a Rival Neighbour.

When a player attacks a neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to their opponent, then any adjacent
neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to the attacker may change its Diplomatic State. Also, when a
player attacks and captures a land region (not a sea region) that was controlled by his opponent,
there is a chance that any adjacent neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to the attacker will change its
Diplomatic State.
Nationalities with a Leaning state may change to a Pro- state. Nationalities with a Pro- state
may offer to join the attacking player’s side. For the effect this has on other neutrals, refer to
Attacking Other Neutrals, below. Neutral countries that are attacked will not offer to become
part of another World Power’s side until the start of that World Power’s turn.
After a neutral is attacked, but BEFORE it is given the chance to join a World Power (at the start of
the player’s turn that the neutral is going to join), the region info text will display a Neutral State
of either Axis or Allied depending on which side the neutral is going to attempt to join.

Attacking a Friendly Neutral

Attacking a neutral country that is friendly to the player is not a wise option, as it will have farreaching
repercussions. Sometimes, however, the player may have little choice but to do so in
order to exploit a favorable situation (e.g. give them a chance to attack another country, such as
Germany attacking Turkey to gain an additional route into the Soviet Union).
When a player attacks a neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to his side, this will affect other neutrals
that are Pro- or Leaning to his side AND those with a Balanced state. All neutrals that are Leaning
to that player have a chance to shift to Balanced. All neutrals that are Pro- towards that player
have a chance to shift to a Leaning state. All neutrals with a Balanced state have a chance to shift
to a status that is Leaning to the attacking player’s opponent.
Attacking Other Neutrals
When a player attacks a neutral that is Leaning or Pro- his opponent or has a Balanced state, it
has a chance to cause:
- Neutrals with a Balanced state to become Leaning to the attacker’s opponent.
- Neutrals with a state that is Leaning to the attacker’s opponent to become Pro- to the attacker’s
opponent.

kondor

Post by kondor »

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

ORIGINAL: kondor

- Rumania is neutral;

From the manual

10.4.2 Changing Neutral Diplomacy States

Several player actions listed in this section can improve or worsen their diplomatic relations with
neutral countries. When these actions are taken (such as attacking a rival neighbor as described
below) and a random number from 0 to 99 is less than the Nationality’s Diplomatic Volatility
Rating squared, then the Nationality’s Diplomacy State will change.
For example, a Balanced neutral Nationality’s Diplomatic Volatility Rating is 5 and Germany attacks
another Balanced neutral country. The chance that the former Nationality’s Diplomacy State will
change to Leaning Allied is 25%. This number 5 is squared – multiplied by itself – to result in 25 (five
times five). If the random number is between zero and 24, the Diplomacy State will change (so a neutral
with a volatility of 5 has a 25% chance to change its State whenever it has reason to check for a State
change).
The only exception to this is Trade Agreements, where success occurs if a random number from
0 to 9 is less than the Nationality’s Volatility Rating.

Attacking a Rival Neighbour.

When a player attacks a neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to their opponent, then any adjacent
neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to the attacker may change its Diplomatic State. Also, when a
player attacks and captures a land region (not a sea region) that was controlled by his opponent,
there is a chance that any adjacent neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to the attacker will change its
Diplomatic State.
Nationalities with a Leaning state may change to a Pro- state. Nationalities with a Pro- state
may offer to join the attacking player’s side. For the effect this has on other neutrals, refer to
Attacking Other Neutrals, below. Neutral countries that are attacked will not offer to become
part of another World Power’s side until the start of that World Power’s turn.
After a neutral is attacked, but BEFORE it is given the chance to join a World Power (at the start of
the player’s turn that the neutral is going to join), the region info text will display a Neutral State
of either Axis or Allied depending on which side the neutral is going to attempt to join.

Attacking a Friendly Neutral

Attacking a neutral country that is friendly to the player is not a wise option, as it will have farreaching
repercussions. Sometimes, however, the player may have little choice but to do so in
order to exploit a favorable situation (e.g. give them a chance to attack another country, such as
Germany attacking Turkey to gain an additional route into the Soviet Union).
When a player attacks a neutral that is Pro- or Leaning to his side, this will affect other neutrals
that are Pro- or Leaning to his side AND those with a Balanced state. All neutrals that are Leaning
to that player have a chance to shift to Balanced. All neutrals that are Pro- towards that player
have a chance to shift to a Leaning state. All neutrals with a Balanced state have a chance to shift
to a status that is Leaning to the attacking player’s opponent.
Attacking Other Neutrals
When a player attacks a neutral that is Leaning or Pro- his opponent or has a Balanced state, it
has a chance to cause:
- Neutrals with a Balanced state to become Leaning to the attacker’s opponent.
- Neutrals with a state that is Leaning to the attacker’s opponent to become Pro- to the attacker’s
opponent.

I don't think this helps me. I've attacked TLC, Denmark, Pro Allied Yugoslavia, but this should not affect Axis Minors joining?
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

You must have had bad luck with the roll of the die. Usually the join. Attacking Yugoslavia and Greece should and TLC before should have been enough.
kondor

Post by kondor »

WI '41
I've decided not to attack SU on the winter turn. Hopefully, the dice will be on my side.
The US will most likely unfreeze the next turn, but there are good chances SU will not. (I hope).

Attachments
WR.jpg
WR.jpg (111.23 KiB) Viewed 464 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

This was an eventful turn, and I'll depict them as they were unfolding.
Firstly, attack from Cairo to Jordan. The WA troops are cut off, without supplies, and that means that any damaged troops will be destroyed.
And I'm aware that this is a pressing issue, as they could manage to resupply or retreat in some daring LF-s operation.

So, I've launched an attack, and even with a Combined arms bonus on unsupplied troops, WA holds its own. Those 8 attack arties are excellent!

Attachments
Jordan.jpg
Jordan.jpg (83.46 KiB) Viewed 464 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

And then the Gibraltar attack.
In the last turn, I moved an elite HB unit with some infantry units on Sardina, in preparation for a possible attack on Gibraltar.
Gibraltar was defended with 1 militia unit, 1 flak unit, and 1 arty unit. And again - it was unsupplied. My sub-campaign is yielding dividends.

I've bombarded with the elite HB unit and managed to put 6 suppression points on the arty. And then I've risked it with amphibious assault. 2 infantry units landed successfully.
I had like 35% IRC of success, I've supported the attack with HF bombardment, and success! Major victory for the axis!

Now the Med is our pool, and Italy is safe - for a year or so at least.

Attachments
Gibraltar.jpg
Gibraltar.jpg (116.77 KiB) Viewed 464 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

This was lucky for me, and it will limit the WA choice to landing on Portugal (W. Afrika is also an option, but it's too far from Europe), or heavy air raids and a follow-up with a D-day.
I see that massive air units are already being produced in England.

But I'll first worry about the SU...
tcart

Post by tcart »

Russia Winter 42

WAR! The Germans gamble on Stalin's passivity and it doesn't pay off. This gives me a chance to create bad choices for the Germans, which is always the Russian goal early.

First, I attack into Rumania, hampering Germany's industry and threatening the Balkans. Can he garrison the many exposed regions effectively?

Second, I execute a strategic withdrawal/concentration in Belorussia. I was not confident I could get an unassailable army into Eastern Poland. But I sure can make the hinterland forbidding. This will allow me to bring multiple armies together in a doomstack down the road. At least, that's the Russian's goal now.

Germany must either concentrate for a massive battle and hope that the attrition isn't too terrible, or try to defend everything--never a good option. By retreating I deny him the chance to cut off a slice of my army and kill it when conditions favor him.

I have to say, the German campaign in the west has been impressive. So Russia can't be quite as complacent as she might have been under other circumstances. The attack on Gibraltar was a great gamble. Only Russia now can alter the balance.

I'm very interested to see where things go from here.
kondor

Post by kondor »

That is bad news for the Axis. So, Rumania finally joined the Soviets?! What kind of tracheary is this! [:D]
I really had no hope of launching a successful Barbarossa without Axis minors on my side. Joining Bulgaria this fall? sparkled a hope that Rumania and Hungary will follow, but that didn't come through.

The SU joined early (for the Germans), despite the fact that E. Poland was not heavily populated by the Soviet troops. This will force me to resort to the last effort, high risk, moves - which will lead to an even quicker defeat vs experienced player like Tim.

Too bad, and I was hoping for a decent struggle vs SU.

Will the SU still get a bonus on their attack next winter?
tcart

Post by tcart »

The axis minors was bad luck indeed. I wonder if not taking Greece in one go affected the outcome. It's very rare that Rumania doesn't join, though I have seen it happen. It's extremely annoying.

I think the Russians lost their bonus last turn, though I didn't check. I'm pretty sure it's the first winter that they are in the war.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

ORIGINAL: tcart

The axis minors was bad luck indeed. I wonder if not taking Greece in one go affected the outcome. It's very rare that Rumania doesn't join, though I have seen it happen. It's extremely annoying.

I think the Russians lost their bonus last turn, though I didn't check. I'm pretty sure it's the first winter that they are in the war.

If war is declared on the Soviet Union during a Winter turn, the first Winter turn FOLLOWING (i.e., four
turns later) will have the First Winter modifier.

Not sure if the winter modifier applies if the USSR declares war after reaching the WR threshold.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Winter 42 WA

I minimized the screen and I got the famous black screen when I returned to it so no screenshots this time. Fortunately I was able to send the turn without having to play it again using hotkeys.

Portugal joined the Allies and it was reinforced with fighters. Gibraltar was heavily garrisoned but we'll take care of that problem later on.

In Java two LF set sails and fought the first naval battle against the superior Japs resulting in one LF damaged and the other destroyed for one Jap LF damaged.

CVs task force being prepared to end the naval supremacy of Japan. PH didn't loss too many ships so I'm grateful for the mild attack carried out by the Japs. TFs were sunk here and there, but many survived. More Liberty bells are on the production queue.

Soviet presence in Rumania will be a tough nut to crack for the Germans.
tcart

Post by tcart »

I finally got my act together on screenshots, with nifty arrows and everything, and they didn't load.
Here it is a second time.

Attachments
Russia2.jpg
Russia2.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 464 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

Last Japan turn of WI 41.
Goran launched a decent offensive. And a few unlucky RNG-s spoiled the party. Manilla had a 90% of falling, and it didn't. The same goes for the Java attack.
Here's the PH attack.

There were 4 CAG-s in the attack.

Attachments
PH.jpg
PH.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 464 times
kondor

Post by kondor »

A one little bug possible?
Last turn I've upgraded the arties to 7/8, (stole the arty offensive for another one = 8/8. Sry WA).
And I haven't got an upgrade. At the start of my next turn (movement phase now), I had an arty attack at attack 7 with 8/8 research points, so they've upgraded at the end of the current turn.

Nothing big, but maybe the game could check the upgrades after the spy work is completed?

Attachments
research.jpg
research.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 464 times

Return to “After Action Reports”