Possible Windows 10 Start-up Tip?

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Oubaas

Possible Windows 10 Start-up Tip?

Post by Oubaas »

Greetings. Just joined, first post. I bought the game on Steam last night, installed it and played the introductory Air Campaign. I did well enough on that and I like the game. Now I guess I'll take a look at the manual and start learning.

Anyway, for those having trouble starting the game with Windows 10, here's a tip. Bear with me.

I have an old, arcade naval shoot-'em-up from Eidos called, "Battlestations: Midway". It has a launcher and opening videos. If you don't restart your computer immediately after installing it, the installation is dead. It will have to be removed, residual files and folders cleaned up, registry cleaned, and then a reinstallation. I've verified this multiple times on two different Windows 10 64-bit PCs. It works. I have no idea why, I'm not a programmer. I discovered it through trial and error.

I remembered that last night when I installed, "Gary Grigsby's War in the West". So I didn't launch the game when installation was complete. Not even a quick peek. I just immediately restarted my computer. Once that was done, I launched the game and it runs perfectly in full screen with the highest settings, no compatibility mode, no renaming folders, it just runs great. I run my Windows 10 64-bit PC at 2560 x 1440, and all is well.

Both games have the same start-up situation, i. e. launcher, videos. I can't say that this is why I'm running, "Gary Grigsby's War in the West" with no issues, but it worked with, "Battlestations: Midway", so I did it with my new install of GGWitW and have zero issues.

I hope this helps at least a few people. It might work with other games using the same engine, too. This seems to be a possible solution for older games with a launcher and opening videos. I don't know, but I'm very happy to be running, "Gary Grigsby's War in the West" with no issues.

I now have my eye on, "War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition".

Return to “Tech Support”