Game Suggestions:

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

xhoel

RE: Game Suggestions:

Post by xhoel »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

It should be possible to disband units with an auto-disband date manually. I understand why we can't disband units which are withdrawn at a later date but why limit units with a disband date too? It makes no sense.

Big +1 on this. We need this in the new beta.
AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator
Hanny

Post by Hanny »

In options have the ability at start of campaign game, when playing as SU, have the ability to let the AI play as normal, or load in a turn one save from German play. This would be useful when playing as SU to practice against human first turn trickery.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Hanny

Post by Hanny »

My bad, the in game editor (first time ive looked at this bit of kit[:(]) already gives this ability.

4.14. SCRIPTING THE AI Scenario designers can employ AI scripts in their scenarios that will tell the computer-controlled units where to move or make offensive thrusts. You record them by playing your scenario in human-versus-human mode. Here’s how to do it. Open up your scenario as a human versus human game and then play the first side’s turn like you would want the AI to do it. The game will automatically track your moves and attacks as a script. Once the turn is ended, select the end turn button and save the game. The game saves the scripting information in its own file (scriptRec.dat) in the Dat folder of the GGWITE game directory. Now exit out of your game, open up the editor and load your scenario. Go to the MAIN tab and select ‘Load Recorded Script’. The editor will automatically load the script that you just generated.
AugustvonMackensen

Post by AugustvonMackensen »

ORIGINAL: morvael

I guess it would be better to represent this by adding support to the game for guns produced like tanks. That way you could model LL delivery exactly.

What fundamental difference is there between artillery ground elements and tank ground elements?
I am somewhat confused, because I would have assumed these to be basically the same, just with other values for the devices and such.
Hanny

Post by Hanny »

ORIGINAL: AugustvonMackensen

ORIGINAL: morvael

I guess it would be better to represent this by adding support to the game for guns produced like tanks. That way you could model LL delivery exactly.

What fundamental difference is there between artillery ground elements and tank ground elements?
I am somewhat confused, because I would have assumed these to be basically the same, just with other values for the devices and such.

That was a concern over LL assets and how the game handles them, ( LL cant be interdicted in game afaict, and the SU just gets numbers of x y or z assets delivered over time, compared to the production phase which can be influenced in game and reduce SU production levels) SU sources list LL as SU produced in SU for many instances, so there is often a difference between what the W Allies sent, and arrived, and what the SU produced etc, roughly a third of smaller AT guns originated from Uk/USA but this is often lost in the numbers game and included in the SU production numbers.

Im unsure of how the game models this but suspect the LL deliveries just add to production totals, ie outside of the production phase, and morvael concern is how to better model it.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Whilst the game doesnt allow LL interdiction, it does only include what arrived as opposed to what was sent eg tanks historically lost at sea are not included.

Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
AugustvonMackensen

Post by AugustvonMackensen »

The game models lend-lease as off-map factories that produce without consuming supplies. The only exception to this is vehicles and supplies of which a predefined number is added every turn.

If artillery ground elements and tank ground elements are not fundamentally different, it should be possible to just add off-map factories for the guns and reduce the build-limit for the soviets and the supply LL accordingly

Edit: That's why I am confused why morvael is speaking of "adding support to the game for guns produced like tanks". Isn't this allready supported?
hei1

Post by hei1 »

Please apologize for bringing up another point: playing some 41 and 42 campaigns you see dramatic retreats of Russian troops (and probably in 43 and 44 same for the German side) - probably done by any medium experienced player (?). But as WitE wants to simulate the situation in the war in the east, I propose a penalty, if troop leaders perform that kind of hasty retreat ("the great leader is not amused"). E.g. reducing the political rating of corps/army leaders, if there HQ moved more than <any treshold value, e.g. 10> to the east (or west, resp.) in one turn. With some ugly consequences ...
May be there is an "easy" implementation in the logistics phase? (Apologize if I missed an already existing mechanism).
--- it's not a bug, it's a feature ---
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: AugustvonMackensen

The game models lend-lease as off-map factories that produce without consuming supplies. The only exception to this is vehicles and supplies of which a predefined number is added every turn.

If artillery ground elements and tank ground elements are not fundamentally different, it should be possible to just add off-map factories for the guns and reduce the build-limit for the soviets and the supply LL accordingly

Edit: That's why I am confused why morvael is speaking of "adding support to the game for guns produced like tanks". Isn't this allready supported?

No, this isn't supported because it depends on the class of ground elements (infantry weapons, artillery, AFV, ...) whether they are auto-produced or factory-produced. So you can't have some guns factory-produced, and some auto-produced.
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: hei1

Please apologize for bringing up another point: playing some 41 and 42 campaigns you see dramatic retreats of Russian troops (and probably in 43 and 44 same for the German side) - probably done by any medium experienced player (?). But as WitE wants to simulate the situation in the war in the east, I propose a penalty, if troop leaders perform that kind of hasty retreat ("the great leader is not amused"). E.g. reducing the political rating of corps/army leaders, if there HQ moved more than <any treshold value, e.g. 10> to the east (or west, resp.) in one turn. With some ugly consequences ...
May be there is an "easy" implementation in the logistics phase? (Apologize if I missed an already existing mechanism).

IMHO this should be task of victory conditions, except it's very limited in this game (there's Sudden Death scenario, and Bitter End victory levels are based on historical occupation times).
hei1

Post by hei1 »

IMHO this should be task of victory conditions
I agree for HvAI games, but in HvH situations it should be more flexible (not "scripted" by VCs). And we have this underestimated (?) political rating, that may also be influenced through hasty retreats. May depend on the time line in the game.
Leutius

Post by Leutius »

A) It would be nice to have a "ghost" map. So that we could go back in time and check the progression as we go. After 50 turns you could check to see how far you have come and how the situation changed.

B) I also remember the great option that Second Front had just to use artillery.(attack direction plus "B" option). ((maybe in War in the East II)

C) Overall better and more clear way to show reports and check info.

D) A way to enlarge UI. The font size is very small for high resolution monitors.

Thank you :)
eskuche

Post by eskuche »

ORIGINAL: Leutius
D) A way to enlarge UI. The font size is very small for high resolution monitors.

Font and font size change is possible in the editor.
Vifee

Post by Vifee »

I don't know how feasible this is within the engine, but I'd like unit TOEs that get over 100% to not shrink to 100% automatically. This would both solve issues in game and be more representative of reality, I believe there was a US army study that found US infantry divisions in WW2 regularly had 3 to 4 times the TOE allotment of machine guns, often captured. Ideally, this would include allowing divisions to use equipment that isn't in their TOE at all, if they come into possession of it. For example, as the Soviets, KV-1s suffer an inglorious end piling up in your pool after your tank units switch to a heavy tank-less TOE, which is particularly galling when you are in the middle of taking a punch on the chin from the panzerwaffe in 1942. For the Germans, you almost always end up with more Tigers than you can use, which is an odd inversion of history.

For both countries, the captured equipment system would be more interesting if it were more local. Say, when a unit surrenders, between X and Y% of its equipment is distributed as damaged to nearby units. Some of that would be lost when repair rolls fail, but it would result in a much more "scratch" look to the TOEs of successful units. That would particularly be more representative of how the Soviets used captured equipment, the Germans, admittedly, used a system more like the one in game. Even then, however, the infantry weren't waiting for a German factory to stamp a serial number on a PPSH to use it. I also don't know how far up the Germans sent captured tanks, particularly after 1941. I know T-34s had the German cupola attached, but even that could be a field modification at a panzer corps motor pool.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

As I read it all captured Russian tanks that could be refitted to be a German one were sent to a central factory to do it at Riga. The two basic requirements were to install a radio and to install heating. I think that says a lot about the differences in how nations considered their tank crews! [:D]

As I understand the manual any ToE below 125% remains if you leave the max ToE on 100%
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but does anyone besides me think a nifty little report would say:

Luft 1, 385 fighters, 116 Dive bombers, 286 Transport, 188 Recon. Currently, all I can see is "Aircraft 600" which really doesn't tell me anything I want to know.
hei1

Post by hei1 »

ORIGINAL: Leutius

A) It would be nice to have a "ghost" map. So that we could go back in time and check the progression as we go. After 50 turns you could check to see how far you have come and how the situation changed.

E) a read-only option of the current MP game map, if not your move. So you can think about your game while waiting for reply turn (can last very long).

Thanks!
cdsys

Post by cdsys »

Don't know if this has been suggested before.

An export option of the OOB and location, weather info... from a "Wite2" battle that could be imported as a scenario in upcoming "Steel Tigers" (for example some xml format). So you can play out some of the battles in detail yourself (I wouldn't go as far as importing the result back in "Wite2", a grand campaign game would take forever that way ;-) ). But rather as a fun way to be able to create battles or replay your battles in upcoming "Steel Tigers".
bighinvegas

Post by bighinvegas »

It needs an Administrative (admin) points tracker counting down the AP's as they are used in one or all of the toolbars.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: bighinvegas

It needs an Administrative (admin) points tracker counting down the AP's as they are used in one or all of the toolbars.

Does this not already exist?
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”