Rhino - NATO

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

MikeJ19

Rhino - NATO

Post by MikeJ19 »

For the next battle, I am back to being the British.

Attachments
Rhino1.jpg
Rhino1.jpg (168.28 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

RE: Rhino - NATO

Post by MikeJ19 »

Here is a look at the VP locations

Attachments
Rhino2.jpg
Rhino2.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 603 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

A look at the Soviet forces

Attachments
Rhino1.jpg
Rhino1.jpg (101.04 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

The approaches for the Soviets

Attachments
Rhino2.jpg
Rhino2.jpg (178.38 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Soviet option 1

Attachments
Rhino3.jpg
Rhino3.jpg (178.79 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Soviet Option 2

Attachments
Rhino4.jpg
Rhino4.jpg (180.71 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Final soviet option

Attachments
Rhino5.jpg
Rhino5.jpg (178.35 KiB) Viewed 602 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Ready for another great AAR!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

If I were the Soviets, I'd choose Option 3.

WP usually have more units, and if you bunch up your forces too much you get blasted by artillery and airstrikes. Furthermore, NATO quality superiority is usually a given, so by focusing on a single attack vector allows NATO to set up a killzone that can decimate your forces while you are unable to leverage your numbers.

There is also another factor in favor of a push north of Melle: the high hill there is a superb spotting and sniping place. I'd do my best to set up shop there with some scout unit and maybe some AD and ATGM. From there you can both rain fire on the town and on the whole middle-northern part of the map.

In the south there is another geographical feature of some importance: the southeastern hill from which you can fire on everything that tries to cross the river and the town of Schlachten. I'd surely try to sneak a unit (maybe an expendable Mech Infantry one) there by hugging the southern edge of the central hill, then run toward Schlachten and set up a reverse slope defense there.

This way you will force NATO to spread up its forces, and you should still have some reserve with which exploit the most favorable front, as per Soviet doctrine. Probably it will end up joining the very, very likely melee in Melle, but a Tank Company or two could tip the scales at Schlachten or north of Melle, allowing for an armored offensive in NATO backfield.

I always try to reach the NATO backfield and hunt their guns because I'm very very wary of their artillery: their command cycle is so fast they usually fire twice as many times as my artillery, and counterbattery fire never seems to work for me...

Now, the WP helos... I don't know. I'm always conflicted about their use: if you send them forward, NATO can take some early casualities and slow its advance, giving you time to move forward and snatch some strategic position. Waiting for the enemy from prepared defenses and ambush position is a potentially game-winning strategy. This tactic, however, almost guarantees you will lose your helos early, so no "flying reserve" if the enemy manages to surprise you during the middle-late game...
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Stucco,

Thanks for these thoughts. I will try to counter them as I plan the Brit defence.

Here is what I have to work with.

Attachments
Rhino1.jpg
Rhino1.jpg (87.75 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Mike

Retired Gunner
HeinzBaby

Post by HeinzBaby »

Good luck with the Abbots...
If they're the same mob from 'A Thin Tan Line' they should be Court Martialled or shot.
Heia Safari
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I have to admit I'm not sure what is off with those guns and unfortunately I've had zero time to go back and dig with all of the work on Southern Storm. Jeff is reworking a majority of the Arty/FSCC code and we want to do some major refactoring of the combat routines to better isolate the various engagements in their own "module of code" so we can better isolate any bugs/tweaks in the future and also make it easier to add new functionality in an area without tripping over spaghetti code of the more unitary module we have in RS. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
KungPao

Post by KungPao »

Well, you can complaint how ineffective these Abbots are. As two time WP PBEM player on this map, I have to complaint "Where is my arty?!" .[8D]

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?
booboo130

Post by booboo130 »

I am slowly setting this scenario up too. I'm interested in what you do with the initial British forces and how you are setting them up. My current plan is to make two mixed battlegroups with one deploying in Melle and the other in the woods to the southwest of Melle. My Recon troops would then try to blow the bridges southeast of Melle and then retreat. Thoroughly enjoy reading your AAR's! they are very informative.
StuccoFresco

Post by StuccoFresco »

ORIGINAL: booboo130

I am slowly setting this scenario up too. I'm interested in what you do with the initial British forces and how you are setting them up. My current plan is to make two mixed battlegroups with one deploying in Melle and the other in the woods to the southwest of Melle. My Recon troops would then try to blow the bridges southeast of Melle and then retreat. Thoroughly enjoy reading your AAR's! they are very informative.

Yeah, Mike's AARs are amazing.

Return to “After Action Report”