Creating A New Star Wars Mod

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

computerhawk

Creating A New Star Wars Mod

Post by computerhawk »

Today I started creating a new Star Wars mod.
about.png
about.png (559.85 KiB) Viewed 560 times
There are a few unfinished Star Wars mods already available for download, but the ship sets for those mods are lacking and also have Star Trek ships in them. The Star Wars Factions mod will focus on factions instead of individual races.

The first release, described below, is planned to be uploaded here August 18th 4pm California time.
Download First Release Here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/6llv42wc ... ns.7z/file Disney owns the rights to Star Wars and all music used in this mod. This mod is meant to celebrate Star Wars as the 40th Anniversary of Return of the Jedi approaches.

What's planned:

There will be dedicated ship sets for the Republic, Separatists, Galactic Empire, and the Rebel Alliance.

There will be other factions available to play also of course. Included but not limited to the Mandalorians, Hutts, and Black Sun Pirates for example. However, these 'lesser' factions won't have dedicated ship sets. In other words I'm not going to spend time on putting together what I view as lesser faction ship sets based on canon.

Part of the weapon tech tree will be edited. For example beam weapons will be changed to researching better turbo lasers. The missile and torpedo weapons will be changed to concussion missiles and proton torpedoes and better variants as you advance along that research branch.

Weapon graphics will be changed accordingly.

And because I'll be changing weapon components and part of the tech tree I'll also have to change the default and race specific ship templates.
I'll need to create/edit race files and change text files dealing with how the game automates them.
I'll need to include the iconic characters Star Wars fans know and love.

DWU is still awesome and DW2 is awesome squared.

The initial release will be with the ship sets for the four main factions and include Star Wars music. No races will be added or changed with the initial release. However, you will be able to use the extra ship sets for your ships if you want.

The second release will be with the changed tech tree, races/factions, races automotive behavior, and the ship templates for default and the factions.

The third release will bring the characters.

That's the road map.
Last edited by computerhawk on Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanaka

Re: Creating A New Star Wars Mod

Post by Tanaka »

computerhawk wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:48 am Today I started creating a new Star Wars mod.
about.png

There are a few unfinished Star Wars mods already available for download, but the ship sets for those mods are lacking and also have Star Trek ships in them. The Star Wars Factions mod will focus on factions instead of individual races.

The first release, described below, is planned to be uploaded here August 18th 4pm California time.
Download First Release Here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/6llv42wc ... ns.7z/file Disney owns the rights to Star Wars and all music used in this mod. This mod is meant to celebrate Star Wars as the 40th Anniversary of Return of the Jedi approaches.

What's planned:

There will be dedicated ship sets for the Republic, Separatists, Galactic Empire, and the Rebel Alliance.

There will be other factions available to play also of course. Included but not limited to the Mandalorians, Hutts, and Black Sun Pirates for example. However, these 'lesser' factions won't have dedicated ship sets. In other words I'm not going to spend time on putting together what I view as lesser faction ship sets based on canon.

Part of the weapon tech tree will be edited. For example beam weapons will be changed to researching better turbo lasers. The missile and torpedo weapons will be changed to concussion missiles and proton torpedoes and better variants as you advance along that research branch.

Weapon graphics will be changed accordingly.

And because I'll be changing weapon components and part of the tech tree I'll also have to change the default and race specific ship templates.
I'll need to create/edit race files and change text files dealing with how the game automates them.
I'll need to include the iconic characters Star Wars fans know and love.

DWU is still awesome and DW2 is awesome squared.

The initial release will be with the ship sets for the four main factions and include Star Wars music. No races will be added or changed with the initial release. However, you will be able to use the extra ship sets for your ships if you want.

The second release will be with the changed tech tree, races/factions, races automotive behavior, and the ship templates for default and the factions.

The third release will bring the characters.

That's the road map.

Looks great good luck finishing what others have not! Always great to see new modders!
terminator

Post by terminator »

And may the Force be with you :)
terminator

Post by terminator »

Thanks for the download but cannot extract the file because 7zip format :(
In Windows 11, zip format is supported.
computerhawk

Post by computerhawk »

Here is the first release of the mod in zip file format.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/k7q0nqso ... s.zip/file
computerhawk

Post by computerhawk »

So it's been a little crazy in the indie dev world lately. I also am obligated to get a paid project out by the end of October. So This mod is going to be put on hold currently.
Brashin

Post by Brashin »

Hello, I am sure things have dies down to this mod but just a question, to anyone who can answer, I pulled the shipset (loooks great) into my game however when I install a fighter bay onto a star wars ship (lets say for the rebels) it launches fighters from the vanilla game and not the X or Y-wings that shows in the ship set...any idea how to get that to work?

Return to “Design and Modding”