UI Fix For 4k Displays

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Chris0War

RE: UI Fix For 4k Displays

Post by Chris0War »

yes, using the latest windows version, and yes on the information screen the account says administrator
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Dunno then. You are making a shortcut to the exe and going into its properties?
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Chris0War

Post by Chris0War »

yea, i tried both the exe from within the game map and the shortcut i have on the desktop, it is the gog version btw that i have maybe that is the difference?

read something about how windows store apps have the option also grayed out because they are already at max graphic something, maybe my system makes a mistake with this?

i remember having other programs where the option is disabled too.

..................... ( checks current installed games ) ..........................

Spellforce 2, another gog game has also greyed out dpi settings but my installed steam games, galciv 3, total war three kingdoms ( here dpi overwrite is actually already enabled must be something preset ) and railway empire all have the option enabled.

It must be something goggy ;)

can't you guys arrange for me to buy the game through slitherine with some discount ? then i can check if that works too :D ;)
Chris0War

Post by Chris0War »

lol, just found an steam offer on hrk games for 1,09 euro .. guess i'll try that one out seeing other steam games also work ( its not that i don't have the money nor that i don't think the game is worth another 50 but you know.... dutch etc etc , sorry for the maybe misplaced pun ( in advance ))
Chris0War

Post by Chris0War »

I can confirm that, at least, the offline DWU installer provided by GoG prevents the overwrite. The steam DWU installation worked outstandingly. Also switched from aspect ratio scaling to numerical ( nvidia integer option from the nvidia command panel ) and feel that this decreases the blurred text a bit.

furthermore i found that scrolling the universe map had some initial stuttering which could be solved by unlocking the fps limiter. and of course some graphical instabilities, with the loading screen ( only the upper right quarter is visible ) and some distortion with texts not fitting into their boxes with the ship stances menu for example.

this is on a 2k screen with a 125% lettertype size increase
SirHoraceHarkness

Dr Sleuth is in the house. Congrats on getting it to work!
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Blueinstinct

Post by Blueinstinct »

Hey there, i recently got a 2K monitor (2560x1600) and i thought i give this a shot, unfortunately i cant see any difference... I am using steam version
I wanna ad that i am using bacon mod exe, maybe that is mixing things up? (hard to go back once you got used to bacon mod...)
I do appreciate the effort here, best regards

Trekkie1985

Post by Trekkie1985 »

Can someone post 2 Screens? One before and One after the adjustment?
FreshQu33blets

Post by FreshQu33blets »

I know the topic is specifically labeled as a solution for 4k monitors, but I was hoping it would work on my ASUS PG279Q that I bought in late 2017. It doesn't, however. I know a guy on another forum with a 1440p ultrawide and it works for him, apparently (he posted screenies).

Display Changer II to play at 1080p stretched out to fill my 27in screen does work, but it looks a bit blurry. :-\
SirHoraceHarkness

Yeah it seems to be a hit or miss fix depending on if the game is from gog or steam and what os version you are running. Good thing is DW2 is around the corner and it solves all the nagging issues of DWU and expands on it a bit for good measure.
FreshQu33blets

Post by FreshQu33blets »

Thanks for the reply. So just to make sure I was doing it right...in your instructions in the OP, you don't say anything about going into Windows 10 Display Settings: Advanced scaling settings and turning on Fix Scaling for apps there, or setting a custom scaling size greater than 100% Is that because you didn't have to do that with your 4k display?

How about on the main Display Settings page where it says "Change the size of text, apps, and other items"--did you change anything there to be greater than 100%?

(I am probably going to get DW2 especially if I can find it with a discount, but I love to tinker/futz with things)

Thanks again,

José aka FreshQu33blets
Gilmer

Re: UI Fix For 4k Displays

Post by Gilmer »

I tried to get this to work. I couldn't get it to work for me.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Do you have a dual monitor capability? If so, maybe try displaying it on both, one monitor at 4k and the other one with a lower resolution so you can see the written words.

I presume that this was why you were asking on the General forum on how to get a better font for you to read.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Did you try what was suggested in this thread?

Windows 10 High DPI Scaling

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 9&t=336727
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

valkyrion

Post by valkyrion »

Thank you for this, I had bought it before and just could not read anything and refunded it. Bought it again this steam sale but after going through 1 tutorial had a massive headache. Glad I found this, thank you for finding a fix!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”