Things I like/don't like about this game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

jayman

Things I like/don't like about this game

Post by jayman »

Here are just some thoughts (not comprehensive in any way) I’ve had about this game after playing it for a while.

Things I like: The economic system. No ‘free’ resources, you have to go and mine them if you want to build anything.

Ship building. Unlike other games, where you just stick tons of weapons in, here you have to choose between engines/weapons/shields/armour/fuel. Hyperdrives are easy, you just need one, but the more 'impulse drives' you have (to use a Star Trek term), the faster you can go within a system (certainly when using the Bacon/Expansion/DWUR mods that have gravity wells). This gets easier as you get more powerful weapons as you don’t need so many and can put more engines/defences/fuel tanks in.

The refit system. Unlike Galactic Civilizations for example, where ships upgrade where they are (even in the middle of a war and right before attacking an enemy system – a little cheaty), in this game you have to return them to a starbase to refit. Means choosing when to do so, and which ships you upgrade (Frontline ships? They might be needed to repel an attack. System defence ships? Could use those resources to upgrade a capital ship).

Warfare in general. It takes so long to organise a decent attack fleet that you have to think game-years ahead as to where you want to attack, or even if you want to go to war at all.

The fuel system. Ships can’t travel all the way across the map unless they have the fuel to do so.

Things I don’t like: The fuel system! If you forget to refuel before an attack some of your smaller ships piss-off to refuel and leave the bigger ships vulnerable to the enemy.

Sometimes another civilization will declare war on you without any warning. Not a problem, unless you’ve got your fleets at the wrong side of your territory keeping an eye on another enemy, then it takes a while to get them to where they#re needed.

Invasions. Non-aligned systems have WAY too many soldiers so you need a LOT of your own to invade their planet. Realistic I suppose (I mean how many would it take to invade our Earth these days for example?), but a pain to train that many troops. Then there’s the factor of getting so many troopships to cooperate (see fuel system above).

I’m sure there’s more I can add to this of course!
jayman

Re: Things I like/don't like about this game

Post by jayman »

Something else I like about this game is the ease of modding things. I didn't do anything too ambitious, but after surfing through these pages I DL'd a few Star Trek shipsets, and I've changed the human ships in DWUR to ST ones. I didn't even have to start a new game to get the new pics!
Olyver
Location: https://sosoon.io/ja/10-%e6%9c%89%e5%8a ... 3%83%95%e3

Post by Olyver »

Hello,

It's really great to see how much flexibility this game offers for customization! Modding elements to match your personal preferences can really enrich the gaming experience. It reminds me of a tip I recently discovered on Twitter, where some players share mods and tips for customizing different parts of the game. It's amazing how a small modification can bring a whole new dimension to the game world.
jayman

Post by jayman »

Olyver wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:01 am Hello,

It's really great to see how much flexibility this game offers for customization! Modding elements to match your personal preferences can really enrich the gaming experience. It reminds me of a tip I recently discovered on Twitter, where some players share mods and tips for customizing different parts of the game. It's amazing how a small modification can bring a whole new dimension to the game world.
I've also discovered you can put your own music (mp3 format) into the game. There's nothing like invading an enemy planet to the music of 'Starship Troopers'! Purely coincidental though as you can't have specific tracks for specific actions except talking to other civilizations.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”