Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy?

Brian Kellys Desert War: 1940-42 captures the drama of the campaign for North Africa during World War II.
Talon_XBMCX

RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy?

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

ORIGINAL: bcgames

Sounds like a good place to start then...

I was thinking about down the road how we would do Desert War II using the latest version of the game engine...whatever that might be. You know--The Admiral's Edition. A whole new operational map at 2500m per hex, breakdown/build-up battalions, regiments and brigades; attach/detach units, expanded air, naval and ground assets, improved AI...

Naaaaa....

[:)]

[X(][X(][X(] [:(][:(][:(] [X(][X(][X(]
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

So I guess another Bulge game is out too.
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

I'm quite confused, you put a question out there, I answered honestly. If you didn't want honest answers why did you ask? I was just answering why I chose not to buy a game that I looked closely at and was interested in, but ultimately chose not to buy.

BTW, I have just about everything that John Tiller has designed but I didn't buy Panzer Battles, Battles of North Africa either.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

Thank-you for your feedback.
sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

I bought this on sale during the holiday sale and shelved it as I had other things occupying my time. I didn't really look into the game before I purchased and assumed given the time frame a campaign was included. Looking at the comments in this thread I've discovered no campaign. While disappointed, I'm not very upset as I got it for a decent price.

I tired it out for the first time today and I'm playing the tutorial. Its very busy and different. So far I like it, but its obvious I will have to put a lot of time into it to learn the system. Since I'm about to retire soon that shouldn't be a problem as I'll nothing but a lot of time. Besides the lack of a campaign, I would like to see what the terrain is by hovering the mouse pointer over a hex or clicking on it. Having to open the terrain menu and drag and compare doesn't really cut it for me.

Aside from a campaign, I think the Italian Campaign would be a nice fit. Given the busy and cluttered nature of whats already present in North Africa, I can only imagine what it might look like if the Eastern or Western Front might look like. If you're going to do the Italian theater, then a proper campaign is a must, otherwise I'd wait till on sale.

If you're going to do just battles with no campaign, then why not just do a game that uses the same basic system, but do historical battles like Crete, hypothetical invasion of Malta and the Italian/German battles in Greece in 41 and then bundle all 3 in a game?

sfbaytf

Post by sfbaytf »

I bought the First Blitzkrieg and War in the Southern Front 10 or so years ago and can't find the disks! I think the intention was to eventually do modules on the Eastern and Western front then link all together so you could play the entire European/Med theater, but looks like that was too ambitious.
kaliyama

Post by kaliyama »

I would check this out but after a lot of bad experiences I only buy matrix games over steam bc steam will refund purchases that turned out to be mistakes. I bought the SGS afrika korps game over steam but would have grabbed this instead if it was available. I am sure your game is great but I stick to my policy bc too many matrix/published games have turned out to be duds (the 3D close combat, astra exodus, hannibal), buggy (the 3D close combat, numerous others), incomplete (World in Flames, Sovereignty). Being able to refund within 2 hours of play time is essential to not getting ripped off with shovelware.
Perhaps bc steam games have to withstand 2 hours of playtime, the matrix games on steam tend to be the best (field of glory, strategic command, warplan, shadow empire, bsg, etc).

also, i accidentally purchased a second copy of WITP from the matrix store and they declined to refund me.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: kaliyama

I would check this out but after a lot of bad experiences I only buy matrix games over steam bc steam will refund purchases that turned out to be mistakes. I bought the SGS afrika korps game over steam but would have grabbed this instead if it was available. I am sure your game is great but I stick to my policy bc too many matrix/published games have turned out to be duds (the 3D close combat, astra exodus, hannibal), buggy (the 3D close combat, numerous others), incomplete (World in Flames, Sovereignty). Being able to refund within 2 hours of play time is essential to not getting ripped off with shovelware.
Perhaps bc steam games have to withstand 2 hours of playtime, the matrix games on steam tend to be the best (field of glory, strategic command, warplan, shadow empire, bsg, etc).

also, i accidentally purchased a second copy of WITP from the matrix store and they declined to refund me.

That's the main reason I EVER buy from Steam, their refund policy.
Hellway

Post by Hellway »

Buying last year but play seriously only today and discover a very pleasant game...like good wine, better with time...thanks
FelixCulpa

Post by FelixCulpa »

Why I did not buy. Africa is not my cup of tea but a big fan of WEGO! Even in a hex and counter game, the look and feel is important and I don't think DW cut it. Games from indy developers come and go, so a good single player game is important, ie AI was not received well. WEGO and these type of games really shine in the multiplayer environment. Indy developers tend to attract small multiplayer participation. Don't like games with towers of unit counters and, maybe incorrectly, thought DW had this characteristic.

IMHO Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive is the new standard for presentation of hex and counter games.

Really would like your WEGGOWW2 concept to flourish but anything half-baked will kill your project.

Good luck,
Duck Doc

Re: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy?

Post by Duck Doc »

Never mind. Please ignore. Best of luck!
ADMIRAL3

Post by ADMIRAL3 »

I brought it but after your ridiculous and offensive proposal about water for spaghetti I forgot this game. SHAME. LBM
RovertFugazi

Post by RovertFugazi »

It wasn't on Steam...
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

I did buy it but if I had known it requires java I wouldn't have. Let me tell you why. Java requires security updates all the time, it won't update my version so I have to go through the hassle of removing java, downloading latest version and installing it then disable auto updates. All this because I have Desert War - not worth the hassle. :x

Return to “Desert War 1940 - 1942”