Detailed Combat Example

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: Vic

Barthheart

RE: Detailed Combat Example

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: LRRP

Anyway we could get this in a pdf? It was very helpfull. Thanks

Yeah, sorry but I don't have this a separate file. The only way would be to copy and create one from scratch.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
cillmhor

Post by cillmhor »

Thanks again Barthheart for the information. One last question, does the over-stacking penalty apply when conducting an airstrike or bombardment of overstacked troops?
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: cillmhor

Thanks again Barthheart for the information. One last question, does the over-stacking penalty apply when conducting an airstrike or bombardment of overstacked troops?

Yes it does.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

I am late to this game...but this post was very, very, helpful.  Thank you...wish there was a revision of the manual that included this stuff...
Kind Regards,

Harry
Killjoy12

Post by Killjoy12 »

I agree - this was very helpful, and covered the counter information much better than the manual. Thanks!

As a newbie to this game (and forum), have you done any other posts similar to this tutorial-like one?
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Killjoy12

I agree - this was very helpful, and covered the counter information much better than the manual. Thanks!

Glad it helped. [8D]
As a newbie to this game (and forum), have you done any other posts similar to this tutorial-like one?

Sadly no, I've been to busy/lazy of late.[:-]
Killjoy12

Post by Killjoy12 »

No problem - I just wanted to make sure I read any that you did!
ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Sadly no, I've been to busy/lazy of late.[:-]
critter

Post by critter »

So Barthheart in your examples. Is a 92/100 stacking limit attack better than say a 112/100 attack?
Why? Are the extra hits that painful?

How does the Div and Concentric attack odds mod. work? Better odds or more hits?

Is there a supply length penalty for Army to Korps Hq's?

In the Sealion senerio..Why if you land adjacent to a British city you can't take it. BUT.. if you land directly on it it falls every time. Besides the extra losses are there any reasons for this?

Please show your work...LOL
What do you mean we're out of amunition???
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: critter

So Barthheart in your examples. Is a 92/100 stacking limit attack better than say a 112/100 attack?
Why? Are the extra hits that painful?

Yes it's better in that you won't get the over stack penalty. However, overstacking just a small amount you probabaly only suffer 1 or 2 extra dead. I've found that up to about 25% over is tolerable when it's an important hex you want. Any more thatn that and you start to waste your men.
How does the Div and Concentric attack odds mod. work? Better odds or more hits?

It's actually like more attack points. So if you had 100 combat strength and 15% Div. bonus and 30% Concentric bunus you'd have 100 + 15+ 30 = 145. So almost 50% more strengh for free. I think that's how it works... Vic could correct me if I'm off.
Is there a supply length penalty for Army to Korps Hq's?

No. Supply path length is calculated from top most HQ to Army HQ to Corps HQ. It's 250 action points for the whole path, not each leg.
In the Sealion senerio..Why if you land adjacent to a British city you can't take it. BUT.. if you land directly on it it falls every time. Besides the extra losses are there any reasons for this?

If you land next to a city you don't have enough action points to move and attack into the city. If you land directly on the city you don't need those points. However landing on a city might mean you end up attacking a unit you didn't see which will be very costly.
Please show your work...LOL

Hope that helps a bit..... I never was any good at showing my work.. sorry! [;)]
critter

Post by critter »

Thanks dude. U the man. [&o]

Any word on updates? Will they include a new manual rewrite? I want to print one out but waiting so I don't have to print it twice
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: critter

Thanks dude. U the man. [&o]

Any word on updates? Will they include a new manual rewrite? I want to print one out but waiting so I don't have to print it twice

Not sure about either of these. Vic says he's started work on the next installment of the series but he's keeping us in the dark too.....
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

yes he told me neither when i got him on the phone yesterday. the only hint he gave me is about doing a career race game next. Decisive Curves or something. i hope it was a joke.
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

I am also late to the game, but this was a really nice post. Thank you.

When you attack, do you go in and look at the soft attack / defense, hard attack / defense of your forces and the target enemy forces, or in general do you just go by the combat strength displayed on the counter? Or do you just know enough about the units so you have a feel for what attacks will work and what won't?

I have a couple more questions if you have the time.
1) I am trying to figure out how many recon points a unit will exert so I can figure out what I need so I can see what enemy may be in other hexes. The manual only had a vague 'recon points are tied to unit size'. From clicking around it looks like recon points is about equal to the white combat strength on the icons. It looks like it gets full points in its hex and surrounding hexes, 2 hexes about 1/3, 3 hexes about 1/8, 4 hexes about 1/10. Is this correct? The manual states unit types are factored into this calculation. Anyone know how? How does terrain effect it?

2) I'm also having a hard time figuring out how combat resolves. Manual states infantry is broken down into 100 man groups and the attack score of the attacker is compared to the hitpoints of the defender. Is the hit points the defense # that is usually about 100? How does the hard and soft attack / defense numbers factor into the combat resolution? Yikes...
Ok, I think I finally see how the combat details screen works. If my infantry attacks the Polish infantry (soft attack / defense of 10 / 20), would the Polish infantry use their soft attack of 20 for any attack / counterattack they do during the attack I initiated? Assuming the units started at 100 hit point (defense), the infantry have a very low chance of causing any damage because their attack of 10 is only 10% of the defense of the enemy infantry (100). If the attack is 50% of defense it only has a 25% chance to hit, so at 10% it would seem to only have a 5% chance.

3) How much detail do you need to know about the combat numbers to play the game effectively? What do you usually pay attention to?

4) Is there any benefit to making myself learn the NATO symbols, or do the unit pictures do just as good a job describing the unit?

Thank you
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
critter

Post by critter »

Hey Barthheart, Or anyone willing to answer
Not sure I'm reading the leader bonus right. Whats the differnces in a one star and 2 star leader.
Is there any diffences in a unit attached to a Army vs Korps leader?

Assuming all leaders have a 50% bonus.

A unit attacked to a 1 star Korps leader gets how much of a bonus? Any staff Bonus?
A unit attached to a 2 star Korps leader? Staff bonus?
A unit attached to an Army Leader? Staff bonus?

Vic I hope with this new release you upgrade the manual as it's a little vague in spots. Hopefully this will let you JUST have to change the game specific rules for each new game.
critter

Post by critter »

Bump..Anybody?
genehaynes

Post by genehaynes »

Critter,

I'l take a shot at this (others can correct me if I'm wrong).

As I understand the HQ bonus:

A HQ Staff with 0 experience imparts a 25% bonus to the combat values of all units under command of that HQ. Each HQ Staff XP point ABOVE 0 adds to the 25%. For example, a HQ staff with 50 Xp ( Experience Points) would give a 75% bonus to the Combat values of units under that HQ. Now if you have a 1 or 2 star General commanding the HQ you get an additional bonus to the HQ staff bonus. 1 Star General = 20% bonus, 2 Star General = 40% bonus.

Example: HQ Staff XP = 40 - Bonus to Combat values = 65% ( 25% Base plus 40 Staff XPs )
If commanded by a 1 Star General: Bonus to combat values = 78% ( Staff XP 65% + 1 Star General bonus ( 20% of 65 = 13, 65 + 13 = 78%)
If commanded by a 2 Star General" Bonus to combat values = 91% ( Staff XP 65% + 2 Star General bonus ( 40% of 65 = 26, 65 + 26 = 91%)

Keep in mind this bonus can be reduced by a poor Staff to troop ratio and the distance the from the Combat Unit to its HQ.

The HQ "Officer" tab shows the HQ bonus under the Photo of the Commanding General. Clicking on the "details" tab in the Combat results will show the actual HQ bonus. Section 7.2.1 of the manual addresses HQ Bonuses.

Like I said, this is MY understanding of how HQ bonuses are calculated.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

That is a very good description of how it works and WAY better than I could have done.[8D]
critter

Post by critter »

Thanks genehayes. Thanks Barthheart.
PirateJock

Post by PirateJock »

Hi Barthheart

Thanks for putting this together - very informative. I finally pulled the trigger on getting this game ... been putting it off but the impending Case Blue gave me the final push. I've put most of this thread together as a .pdf if you are interested.

Cheers
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

Awesome Comrade Barthheart. I salute you.
“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.

Return to “The War Room”