No Fullscreen for Lower Resolutions

Post bug reports and ask for technical assistance here.
Pzrjager

No Fullscreen for Lower Resolutions

Post by Pzrjager »

Hi, recently I've been frustrated by not being able to use a resolution lower than my monitor while using fullscreen. I want to do this because using the 1980x1080p resolution in-game (the same resolution as my monitor) brings up black bars on some maps and also changes the positioning of the UI. It looks like this.

I'd also rather use a lower resolution at the expense of clarity so I can have a closer look at my units and the map. I understand why these issues exist; these maps were obviously not designed for a 1080p screen. That's why I want to play at a lower resolution but fullscreen.

This is not possible no matter what resolution setting I choose in-game (Use DPI, Scale UI, Scale Front End), or any combination of them. Lowering my resolution in-game just makes the game still 1080p but windowed at that resolution. To be clear, I want a lower resolution (like 1600x900) in fullscreen on my 1080p monitor.

I understand this is an old game, but this shouldn't be a problem because this isn't an issue in the original game. I own the original Close Combat 5 on gog.com and using a lower resolution in fullscreen is possible with the in-game settings. It is frustrating paying for the more expensive remake and dealing with technical issues that aren't present in the original game.

Sorry if this comes off as a vent, I'm just trying to communicate the issue as clear as possible. I'd greatly appreciate it if you consider revisiting the Close Combat remakes for a technical patch.

In the meantime I've been manually changing my monitor resolution before and after playing the game. It's not a big deal but I feel silly having to do it for the "remake."

Unrelated, but the "lock cursor" feature stops working if you alt-tab out. I hope that can be fixed too.

Thanks for reading.
SteveMcClaire

Re: No Fullscreen for Lower Resolutions

Post by SteveMcClaire »

This sort of situation only occurs with a very few maps in The Longest Day -- if the map (pixel size) is not wide enough to fill your whole screen you will get a black area where the map does not fill.

Unfortunately the older Close Combat titles (the Longest Day included) cannot run in DirectX full screen mode after Microsoft dropped support for DirectX 16-bit color full screen mode with Windows 10.
Pzrjager

Re: No Fullscreen for Lower Resolutions

Post by Pzrjager »

Thanks for explaining Steve.

Return to “Tech Support”