Reversing Armor in battle

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.
tjsexton

Reversing Armor in battle

Post by tjsexton »

I don't know if it's just me or not, but my Tanks don't seem to want to reverse.. it seems like with every move I make they want to turn around and then start moving. I always thought that when you issued a slow movement command, like Sneak for example, that a tank will simply back up, keeping the frontal armor facing where you want it to face. That doesn't seem to be the case.
Tank movement shouldn't be left to chance. Reversing an AFV in battle, is an important movement command. I would like to see a "Reverse" command or at least reprogram the Sneak command so that it ALWAYS keeps the current orientation of the vehicle. If you issue the Sneak command for a point behind the vehicle there is NO WAY I want it to first turn around.
Along these lines, if you are driving a tank down an arrow straight lane or road why does it wander around like it's driven by a drunken sailor... are we assuming that the crew has had an overdose of Calvados? Any reasonably talented Tank driver should be able to drive in a straight line. I'm not sure what you're trying to simulate with this action.
Nomada_Firefox

RE: Reversing Armor in battle

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Yes, you are right. At my opinion, now it happens as you see because the code from the game was edited for avoid the tanks dancing problem.

At the end, it is another problem derived from to use a engine made more of 14 years ago. I hope that the vehicle movements at Bloody First has not this type of problems.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

Try to keep the distance when reversing to a minimum. In that, drag the "move" or "sneak" arrow to a distance less than 20-30 meters. This seems to help, but it's not a guarantee. I recently posted a video, where this problem came up; one tank managed to reverse well, while the tank next to it did the "dance" costing me the battle.
Check it out on YT here: Gateway To Caen - TIK -vs- CGGrognard
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
Cathartes

Post by Cathartes »

It definitely helps to keep your reverse movement (move or sneak) to short distance behind the tank. Open, consistent terrain is ideal for getting the behavior you want. Nearby obstacles and paths that transit roads and other terrain may also force a tank to turn around when you prefer to reverse.
vobbnobb

Post by vobbnobb »

Your tank crew or driver is a greenhorn surviving battles, getting medals, capturing flags with tanks makes them better until they are elite.
bummer

Post by bummer »

German Tiger ace Otto Carius specifically addressed the problems with backing a tank in his book "Tigers in the Mud." He was talking about the PzKfw VI (Tiger I) at the time, but I suppose it could also apply to the PzKfw V (Panther) since they have similar suspensions. He noted that the tank commander could not see directly behind the tank. The driver was completely blind when reversing. Tank commanders continually monitored each others' tracks when reversing. He said, "[Track] could ride up on the teeth of the drive sprocket even during small turning movements - especially in mud and snow. If that happened, there was unbelievable tension and the tank was immobilized. There was nothing left to do but cut apart the tracks." So, the designers of the game might have programmed limited use of reverse gear to mimic reality. Just a guess.

Return to “The War Room”