6th Army Campaign

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

RE: 6th Army Campaign

Post by ernieschwitz »

I bought some SP Artillery too, and replaced my Infantry Guns and AT Guns in Motorized units, with them, as well as heavier guns. To make up for the losses in Armored Cars, I removed the ones in the Corps HQs, and replaced them with 3 infantry, so the total of infantry in each Infantry Corps was bolstered to 8x, so 800 men.

I then used the spare Infantry I had from buying replacements, and built an entirely new Infantry Corps. I could however not afford to buy Artillery Regiments for them, so I took one from each of the biggest Infantry Corpses, and gave those three to the new Corps as well as an Infantry Regiment from each.

This gave me 5 Infantry Corps in total ranging from 9 to 11 Infantry Regiments. By then I had only 11 PPs left. I bought some Flak with those. Gave some of it to the Panzer Corps's HQs, and the 6th Army HQ. I then upgraded the Artillery Regiment that had the highest experience in each Infantry Corps, and upgraded all Staff from level I to level II.

My final force consists of the following:

Attachments
Troops.jpg
Troops.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I replace and reinforce after every battle. For example the Corps with only 2 divisions I buy a third division after first battle.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I replace and reinforce after every battle. For example the Corps with only 2 divisions I buy a third division after first battle.

I do replace after each battle, but I try not to buy extra units, until I need to. The reason being that if you buy them later, you get the upgrades "for free".
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I'd like to know, from those that pop in now and then, what they'd like to see. I'll keep posting, no worries there, but I would like to show the stuff you would want to see :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

plus a few Pz IIIs to give them some sort of anti-tank capability.
As I understand German doctrine of the time, their tank forces had a good mixture of different tank models. I can imagine it is a pain for logistics, but few Panzer III in the force trumps opposing tank force made of only 1 model light(ly armed) infantry support tanks.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
LarryBurstyn

Post by LarryBurstyn »

I have not tried campaign games in a long time. Where might I find 6th Army Campaign scenario?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: LarryBurstyn

I have not tried campaign games in a long time. Where might I find 6th Army Campaign scenario?

Larry, you can get it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abeh6fr45yj5w ... atzip?dl=0

Be aware that it is not finished yet. So some things might be a little rough still. There might be spelling errors, and only 7 of the 10 battles you will need to fight, to finish, have been made.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Time for the next part of the Campaign. Invading USSR, 1941.

Our first objective will be Rowno, and from there on to Kiev (in the next scenario). Below is a map of the opening turns deployment, and the plans for the Panzer and Motorized thrusts to get there. I am unsure if the Southern part of the offensive will unfold this way, but this is the plan. As can be seen I had to present you with a map in the most zoomed out mode (My screen-grabber doesn't like ATG, so I try not to make panoramic screenshots). The maps are getting bigger, and more is required of us.

To the south is 1st Panzer Army's operational area, and that is off limits.

Attachments
Scn04Commented.jpg
Scn04Commented.jpg (471.05 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

plus a few Pz IIIs to give them some sort of anti-tank capability.
As I understand German doctrine of the time, their tank forces had a good mixture of different tank models. I can imagine it is a pain for logistics, but few Panzer III in the force trumps opposing tank force made of only 1 model light(ly armed) infantry support tanks.

Did quite a bit of research to make sure the OOBs and their TO&Es were correct, at least from the standpoint of when you get something new, it will be the correct regimental composition or divisional composition. As you can see on the cards below, the one in the middle, tells you basically what a Panzer Regiment looked at, at the time. The reinforcements card (something I cooked up, admittedly) allow you to get replacements.

The real trouble with my own created TO&E for the light tank force, is not it's ahistorical approach to making a TO&E, more its the presence of so many Pz Is... which at this time would probably be converted into other types (SP Guns),(although not that many were. Others would be trainers, or on occupied forces duty.

I could, if I get around to it, trade them in for PPs after the French part of the campaign, I guess...

On the right you see what survived the French Campaign, tanks highlighted.

Attachments
PanzerCardsnMore.jpg
PanzerCardsnMore.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

There may be a slight delay in updates here: Both my hands are hurting, and my right shoulder is too, and has been for a while. I'll try and push out some stuff anyway.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Plans have changed, for the 6th Army's advance. I have been told that one of the finest traditions of the German officer corps, is to allow freedom of action, and to use that freedom to gain tactical advantages.

Here is an example of that.

Instead of going southwards, and then east along the map, towards Dubno, my II Panzer Corps (renamed by me; the pink HQ), they have trashed through Vladimir Volonsk and headed straight for Lutsk.

The I Panzer Corps (again renamed by me; the Grey HQ), has had a fast paced adventure too. They quickly grabbed Kovel, and headed towards Kiversky, but on the way met up with the II Panzer Corps.

This has led to the encirclement of a large Soviet force. Among them is at least parts of one Tank Division, and possibly a whole Motorized Infantry Divsion. The composition of a regiment of a Soviet Tank Regiment (1940-41), is included in the picture below (all the way down).

It's only turn 4, and already the scenario is going great. Well, maybe in historical hindsight I shouldn't be too elated, it is after all Barbarossa's opening stage.

Attachments
Encircled3.jpg
Encircled3.jpg (498.44 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Advancing along the road from Kiversky to Rovno was an easy task for the I Panzer Corps (Grey HQ). Much easier than the task that the II Panzer Corps (Pink HQ) stood in front of with Lutsk. The bridges had been blown and there are swamps on either side. So the II Panzer Corps had to sacrifice some troops and materials to bridge the river further down. From there they were able to dislodge the rather strong presence of Soviet forces in Lutsk. Once those had been broken down, however it took only two days to get to Rovno, which is the main objective of the Scenario, with 8 turns to spare...

Perhaps I made this scenario too easy. Play testers will have to tell me.

Here is the final positions as I am about to claim victory (by playing the Victory Card).

Attachments
Rovnotaken3.jpg
Rovnotaken3.jpg (497.34 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

In the following you can see my losses and the Soviet (AI) losses.

I don't like that I have lost more Pz IIIs amd IVs than Is and IIs. The Soviet Air Force was destroyed while on the ground.

Attachments
SUnGELosses.jpg
SUnGELosses.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I've reached the first Intermezzo scenario. In this scenario, which is a sort of campaign screen, you are able to buy new formations and the like, as well as reorganize your troops. Movement of troops on the map costs nothing. So you can move them around all you like and they will be where you place them.

The screen that meets you might however be a bit confusing. It looks something like the picture below (taken from my game). Units scattered all over the map.

Attachments
Intermezzo01.jpg
Intermezzo01.jpg (376.49 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I like to zoom in on the map, to make it more simple to get an overview. Done like that this is what it looks like.

The imagine below the top one (they are both one imagine, but you can clearly see one has units stacked on top of each other), is how I like to organize the troops. Distinct piles of similar types near their own HQs. I like to transfer troops from one regiment to the others and then make an estimate of how many troops I need to buy, if any. I also look at the previous losses for this.

Attachments
Intermezzo012.jpg
Intermezzo012.jpg (488.77 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I decided that I needed to purchase some Engineers for my new Infantry Corps, that I made before the Barbarossa scenario. I had lacked them, at one point during the game, where I wanted to cross a river, to give me an advantage. Other than that, I merge a few units, and end up down 2 infantry regiments. I re-assign infantry regiments so that the total infantry regiments that I have are equally distributed.

Below is a list of my forces as present. I paid a price for having a lot of PPs after Enveloping Paris. I could easily research and expand my forces, but upgrading has been something I needed to pick and choose to do. So far I've upgraded my two mobile corps, and some Artillery in another corps. But as can be seen, I am far from having level II stuff in every formation.

Attachments
Troops01.jpg
Troops01.jpg (69.37 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Next up, Kiev. Our job, capture it.

I tried making a very big map, showing just how much group I need to cover. I do have 20 turns to do it. Also because of the large amounts of PPs I have, I'll concentrate on building supplies, though it does not seem there will be much opportunity for it.

Here is the plan, for my two Panzer Corps.

I have played this scenario once before in a playthough, before I discovered some bugs, and back then I took the same southern route, but I chose a nothern route too, going up to Korosten, and from there just following the railroad all the way to Kiev. I wanted something different this time.

I apologize for the Quality of the image. There is a limit of 500kb for images in this forum.

Attachments
Kiev.jpg
Kiev.jpg (492.56 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

So far things have been quiet. Battles have been almost non-existent with those that have taken place really being at a disadvantage to the Soviets. No real losses to German soldiers.

That changed! On turn 3, this is the message I am greeted with as I start the turn:

Attachments
Lossesturn.jpg
Lossesturn.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

So, sometimes you don't really want to get what you wished for: More resistance. It would seem I got it.

On the map below you can see that the Russians have attacked three places, at least 1 of them with artillery support.

On the map you will see red arrows, indicating Soviet attacks. Orange circles, showing where the units went that were attacked, and either an orange arrow, that indicates that my units fled, or a red stop sign, meaning they held.

The first place was units trying to flank and cut off my armor from supplies. They hit a Panzer Regiment, that lost some tanks, and became very disorganized (lost readiness). They did kill a lot of BT-7 tanks.

The second place, middle of the map, my two infantry regiments held. One of them has lost 1/4 of its combat strength, and the other not as much. I will withdraw them and replace them with others, hoping they will regain readiness and be ready once more when needed (and I am sure it will be a when, not an if).

The third and last place was towards the bottom of the map. Here a single Infantry regiment was pushed aside easily by the Soviets. It also lost about 1/4 its strength. Like the two others, this one will be withdrawn and replaced by other regiments in the line.

As for the deployment in general, those spearheads I was counting on might need to withdraw behind the line, and wait for a hole to exploit. Time for the infantry to do some heavy lifting!

Attachments
scen5turn3.jpg
scen5turn3.jpg (490.96 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

A few more turns have passed. Man the Soviets are putting up good resistance. I'd even say they have an offensive going in the area where the fighting is most intense (see picture). Also my losses are really adding up.

I am considering making a change in my plans. The I Panzer Corps had a breakthrough up north and reach Radomysl. My change in plan would be to send them south to pocket this offensive that the Russians are making. My V (Black stripe) and III Infantry Corps (Orange stripe) are really beat up. V is barely functional. I had to put my II Panzer Corps on the line, to stop a breakthrough.

Attachments
DeathArea.jpg
DeathArea.jpg (493.79 KiB) Viewed 861 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “After Action Reports”