Am I doing something wrong on carrier attacks?

WarPlan Pacific is an operational level wargame which covers all the nations at war in the Pacific theatre from December 1941 to 1945 on a massive game scale.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

AlvaroSousa

Re: Am I doing something wrong on carrier attacks?

Post by AlvaroSousa »

It was a rare A.I. error where somehow it mixed 2 subs in the fleet and stacked them 18 high.

WP2 subs will be different to avoid this issue.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

When you have blank results for a given hex, what are you doing? Are you doing a carrier strike on this hex? Or, is it something else? An automated interception?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

There are these very rare bugs that are really difficult to track down as they are rarely replicated. These combo fleets are one of them. I have looked over the code several times to figure out why it happens.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

MichealJR wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:09 am Just fyi, another Allied fleet was in hex 54,32 again (like the first post) and I could not attack it. Blank results. No deduct on OP for attacker. Nothing.
I wonder what is the tech level of your carriers. In your example, what is the range of your carrier based planes? 4?
I have tried to replicate but I do have a result for an interdiction.
54,32.JPG
54,32.JPG (87.13 KiB) Viewed 345 times
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
MichealJR

Post by MichealJR »

Carrier level is 1943 and they were direct carrier attacks. No interdiction. It has happened once more time, but I usually just do a surface attack and it scares off the Allies. I have notice that the Allied stacks involved are very large, and I am playing 6 'ship' limits for fleets. Looks like the Allies don't do that very well, lol. Anyway, I am up to 09/44 and it has not happened again in a while, and it appears that the Allied fleets are respecting the 6 'ship' rule as well. I am happy. Still an intriguing game. Simple, but engaging. :D
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I have also seen empty reports in the latest patch but not this kind:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 5#p5155695
MichealJR

Post by MichealJR »

Just an update. For some reason the issue did not surface again, and I finished the game. The Allied AI is not very good, to be honest, but Alvaro stated that one should play the Allies against Japan. But I just wanted to try it and once Japan was able to get the oil it needed and expanded aggressively in the DEI, Sumatra, Malaya, New Guinea, etc. and build subs to take care of convoys, the Allies attacks were piecemeal and worthless. They were never able to get a decent base close to me. I lost about 10 carriers to the Allies 30 plus. China was a different story. Reminded me of a WWI slugfest. Same with the British in India. I did manage to cut off the China Lend Lease route till 1945 and took Rangoon very early, but that was it. The Allies just kept building in India and almost broke through right at the end of the game. As well as Russia attacking at the last turn. All in all, I had fun. Supply trucks and oilers are your friends, lol.
See the winning screen.
Japanese Victory.jpg
Japanese Victory.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 156 times
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

Even in WitP the A.I. isn't good. it doesn't respond to back end invasions. Too many parameters for it to consider. Naval operations on this scale are very difficult to do for A.I.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

Return to “Warplan Pacific”