[FIXED B507] Lock up w/ larger scenarios

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

mikmykWS

RE: Lock up w/ larger scenarios

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks for the report. Logged for the next round.

Mike
caiman_

Post by caiman_ »

Hi

Just wanted to confirm that most of this issue seems to be solved for me too. From a 20 crash/hour before B507 i'm now experiencing let's say 1 crash each hour. Which make the game now playable. However i'm unable to find a way to reproduce the crash i'm still experiencing i will start a thread if i manage to find a common factor.

Anyway thanks for the fix
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

One thing I have noticed is that in large scenarios with lots (in the hundreds) of missles firing at once, my CPU's four cores are all above 80% usage. I have an AMD laptop and the temperature control is always on. My CPU is throttled back most of the time because of it. I am wondering if some of these issues in large scenarios is heat related.
Dannyp19

Post by Dannyp19 »

I was able to play last night for 2 hours and only one crash. That was when I had a lot of missiles about to hit (or get destroyed). Thank you auto save! I'm not able to reproduce any crashes or I would have sent them. I don't think it's heat related, my system has a water cooler and it stays a comfy temp. at all times. I do notice the pulse count getting up in the 1500-1800 is when things start to slow down quite a bit and a crash happens.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I have found pulse counts nearing 1000 is a sign from god that bad things are happening.
caiman_

Post by caiman_ »

Now that you speak about the missiles.
For me too the crash occured just before massive missiles hits & anti missile trying to shoot them. But not always the same. Salvos of ARM , Harpoon or Mica EM did the same.
Not related to heat for me either.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I think heat is a side effect, but it is a sign that a lot is going on behind the scenes in large missile engagements. I think that why some people have different crash points. I am sure it all depends on CPU load, CPU speed, memory load, software stack, etc. It might be that certain PCs have a limit on the size of the scenario.
caiman_

Post by caiman_ »

Mhm i highly doubt it's related to the hardware. I can play to very recent & demanding games without any troubles and B507 managed to remove most of the crashes.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

That just might be optimizations. I also suspect other games don't tax the CPU like Command. Take a look at CPU loading during a large scenario. I have never had a game bring a quad core CPU to it knees like this game can.

You can see this by switching to and from hi fi while watching CPU load.
caiman_

Post by caiman_ »

i just tested a scen with ~80 missiles in the air + lots of other unit.

Cpu performance set to maximize battery autonomy ( cpu underclock )
No pulse mode - time compression x1800
i get ~45% - 50% cpu load and pulse time never peaks at more than 150 -200 ms during the worst moment
A 1080p video is also running to put the cpu to his knees
I get no crash

That's why i'm not sure about an hardware issue.
thewood1

[NO REPRO B520] RE: Lock up w/ larger scenarios

Post by thewood1 »

Except for you, it seems a lot of crashes happen as pulse times get very high. It was the pattern with other crashes in other threads as well.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

btw, the video is run by a separate cpu, even if its integrated. This game does tax the GPU much at all. Even a CPU load of 50% is pretty big if you have a multi-core.
caiman_

Post by caiman_ »

Hmm ok i did not read the others threads you mentioned. If all the others have the high pulse pattern problem then i'm the exception.

There is also the possibility that the cpu spike is so brief that i did not see the pulse time climbing just before the crash.

yeah i forgot the fact that video -> gpu
ryszardsh

Post by ryszardsh »

I am asking myself if it is related to running a 32 bit program on a multi core CPU in a 64 bit OS. I tried to cause a lock up - and can do so pretty consistently. I just fire a full load from 2 Ohio class SSGN at an airbase. With versions before 507 that locked up on firing and never would make it through for more than 30 seconds. With 507 it will lock once, maybe, and then running from the autosave will run completely through the attack with no lock up..
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I haven't check CPU loading in 507. I'll check when I play tonight.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Guys when you have freezes can you please post the autosave files. No matter how detailed your description is, a savefile is the only way to precisely replicate the problem conditions. Thanks!
ryszardsh

Post by ryszardsh »

autosave attached, extension changed to upload, crash w/ ~50 TLAMs in flight...
Attachments
Autosave44.txt
(775.9 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Ryzardsh what version of the game were you running with this.

Not trying to be a pita but need to know[:)]

Thanks!

Mike
ryszardsh

Post by ryszardsh »

no PITA, forgot, 507
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Thanks logged!

Mike