Free strategy games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Free strategy games

Post by Kuokkanen »

List all war strategy games which are available without cost. Add short description (not review!) of each game with screenshot. I start.

Empire

I'm not really sure is this freeware as Home of the Underdogs claims. Anyway student named Walter Bright started development of this game in 1970's with PDP-10 and thus is one of the first computer strategy games ever created. Game is relative simple where 2-3 armies fight against each others. Practically only resource are cities where armies are created. Available land and air units are exactly one each but naval vessels include three different warships, transport, aircraft carrier and submarine. Winner is army which destroys all opponents and conquer their cities. Multiplayer is limited to terminals (things with monitor and keyboard which are connected to computer's serial port) and PBM.

[edit]
Got confirmation about Empire from Walter Bright himself
You can download it free from www.classicempire.com, but you cannot
redistribute it.
Would you like to know more?

Battle for Wesnoth

I found this game last week so I haven't found out everything about it. What I have found out though, is excellent example of open source game. There are number of single player campaigns but what really hits the eye is very long list of available languages. I was startled when my native language was on by default and all I could do was stare at the screen and think "WTF!!?" Finnish translation isn't too bad but there are enough errors and gaps for me to prefer english (UK version).

Game is fantasy strategy game. I haven't played Fantasy General but I guess it is good example for comparison. Available sides include humans, elves, orcs... standard fantasy stuff. Each has available relative small number of units. Variety comes to play in form of attributes. Each new unit gets two attributes which are assigned randomly. Attributes may increase unit's attack, speed, hit points etc. When unit fights, it gets experience. When unit has enough experience, it can be transformed to more effective unit.

Player(s) can spend gold to get new units. Gold is get from villages in form of taxation. In addition villages and base (castle/fortress) itself offers defense bonus and heal units which are located in them. Large number of units require gold for upkeep. "Army marches on its stomach" you know. In single player scenarios there are number of objectives to be completed. Multiplayer seems to be traditional 'kill all' (I don't know everything yet).

MegaMek

This is the game which eats about half of my time with computer games. MegaMek is based to rules of BattleTech and follows them almost to letter. Large number of official BattleTech units are included to game including 'Mechs (counting BattleMechs, QuadMechs and OmniMechs), ProtoMechs, infantry (counting battle armor), vehicles (counting tanks, hovercrafts and Mobile Long Tom) and some units of recently added elements: VTOL and naval. In addition to units game includes number of maps and random map generator (RMG). Host player can define parameters for RMG including amount of water, woods, rough, roads and so on. Game is open source and is in constant development. New elements are added and bugs squished on regular basis. New versions come available without schedule but it seems to be almost weekly basis.

For those who don't know about BattleTech, it is tactical war game on unit level. Main focus is in 12 meter tall walking war machines of mass destruction, commonly known BattleMech or 'Mech for short (in MegaMek called Mek becouse copyrights). Game is played in phases. Game starts with deployment phase where units are place to the map. It is followed by movement phase where units are moved and firing phase where targets are declared for weapons. Hit and damage calculations are made after target declarations. Next is physical phase where BattleMechs can use their own mass to make damage: punchs, kicks and push (to water).

MegaMek isn't most exciting game but it is tolerable with sufficient amount of cola and cookies. When something happens, it usually happens BIG time. Shouts of joy and damaged keyboards are not uncommon when playing MegaMek.

Classic BattleTech Introductory Rulebook

MekWars

Earlier known as MegaMekNET, MekWars is on-line campaign game built around MegaMek. Short and sweet: players join to factions and fight over Inner Sphere ( = known galaxy). Players launch attacks against planets of opposing factions. Focus is conquering enemy. If captured planet includes factory, it is possible to use that factory to produce units of enemy for own use. Other available task types include raids to steal units or components from enemy. Default server is based to year 3025 with level 1 technology only. Available units include most level 1 'Mechs and ground vehicles.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Zakhal

RE: Free strategy games

Post by Zakhal »

Third Reich

Very tough AI if not among the best of its genre. Just try taking europe as germany. Took me countless tries.

Clash of steel: Future edition

Another conquer europe game. Not a great AI but still worth for few rounds until you manage to beat it.

High Command: Europe 1939-1945

Yet another conquer europe game. The AI is not genious but the game is still worth for few rounds.

Crusade in west

Played and loved it on 64. So much infact (well it was one of the few strategy games available on 64 tape) that I havent tried it on PC even though its free. Great game.

Fantasy General

If you like Panzer general and fantasy stategy this game is a MUST. In som ways better than PG even.

War of the lance

Havent tried yet but having read the books I think Im going to. Was a great game during its time.

Rules of engagement + Breach3

Great space strategy combination. Havent found yet time to test it but do remember the good reviews.

Imperialism 1 & Imperialism 2

Good games. Havent found time yet to test them.

Great Naval Battles 1-5

Som of them are available, som are not. If you like naval
war on strategic level you must try them.

Pacific Theater of operations 2

Not quite WITP but still plenty of gaming fun until you beat it.

Pacific General

Superb. Much better than any of the other generals. I would rate this and Fantasy General among the best of the whole series with this on the top.

World at War Series (a.k.a. Operation Crusader, Stalingrad, D-Day: America Invades

Good bread and butter strategy games. AI is able to resist. Stalingrad I liked most I think.

Panzer general 1&2& allied general & peoples general

Som of them are available som are not. Bread and butter. AI in people's was not quite challenging.

Castles 1&2

The first one is fun, the second is not so.

While playing these you could pick som free books for read like the Hitler's War (1024 pages) to enhance the experience.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Post modified becouse it was off topic. I request everyone to do same for their own OT posts and admin/moderator to remove them.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

What!? Since when General serie has become freeware?

No idea. But its available in many public sites. Only one or either of the "new" 3D ones are not. Allthough I never liked them anyway.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

If you play Generals you should check the fan made extra campaings and scenarios like the "The Mediterranean Theatre 1940-45" (1) for Pacific General. That alone is enough reason to start playing it again!

(1) http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... achome.htm
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I was informed that there are issues with Underdogs regarding whether ot not their downloads are in fact all free/aboandoneware games....there are also issues regarding spyware being dumped on your pc with some Underdog downloads, so I no longer bother with the site...
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

I was informed that there are issues with Underdogs regarding whether ot not their downloads are in fact all free/aboandoneware games....

Underdog removes all downloads that are not allowed. Infact many have been removed and replaced with a link where you can buy it from.
there are also issues regarding spyware being dumped on your pc with some Underdog downloads, so I no longer bother with the site...

My viruskanner (it scans everything I d/l) has found troijan only from Rules of engagement and 3rd reich. I have never had problems with any other of the games. Even then if you dislike underdoggames there are other sites like abandonia that are far better.

Dunno where the underdog gets its games, but if all are not originals that could explain the extra stuff in some of the games. Abandonia uses only originals.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

"My viruskanner (it scans everything I d/l) has found troijan only from Rules of engagement and 3rd reich. I have never had problems with any other of the games. Even then if you dislike undergodgames there are other sites like abandonia that are far better. "

Sorry, but that's two games too many...but, as you said, there are other venues.......
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Underdog removes all downloads that are not allowed. In fact many have been removed and replaced with a link where you can buy it from.

Not strictly true. She (for it is a she) says herself that "abandonware" is not strictly legal. Stuff gets removed when people complain, which avoids any trouble - and in some cases active consent is actually given.

My take on this (and I know some of the Matrix folks disagree) is that, if the stuff isn't available to buy anywhere - or at least anywhere that will ship to where I am - I have no moral problem with it. Nobody loses out, and I can honestly say I have never failed to buy a game because I was too busy playing an abandonware one instead.

Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

Yes it is illegal, but with the difference that it doesnt harm anyone. I have nothing but gratitude towards people who spend their free time to make old games available to everyone and even pay for the bandwith so they can download them. But if you choose instead to buy them from ebay or somwhere else for dollar or two there is nothing wrong with that.

Q: What is Abandonware? Is it legal?
A: Wikipedia: "Abandonware is computer software which is no longer being sold or supported by its copyright holder. Alternately, the term is also used for software which is still available, but on which further support and development has been deliberately discontinued." Since the software is no longer sold or supported, the copyright holders are not directly harmed in any way. This is why abandonware sites are, for the most part, ignored by the law. The distribution of copyrighted software however is, and will allways be, illegal!
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Post modified becouse it was off topic. I request everyone to do same for their own OT posts and admin/moderator to remove them.

MekWars
TAIL GUNNER

Post by TAIL GUNNER »

Pacific General

Superb. Much better than any of the other generals. I would rate this and Fantasy General among the best of the whole series with this on the top.

Excellent beer'n pretzels game....get it here:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/downloadfi ... ip&id=1593

It's already pre-patched to ver 1.1....so after that go the the PacGen Armory and get the awesome German Z-Plan Campaign!![:D]
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sgt_stryker/
"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Would you please STOP HIJACKING MY THREADS AND TURN THEM TO PILE OF SPAM! [:@]

Back to topic: free strategy games. I have heard from other people that Fantasy General is freeware but I would like to hear confirmation from someone official, preferably from SSI or from someone who used to work there.

What comes to abandonware, I don't want see any other line about it. I request you to remove posts regarding subject and Zakhal, modify your first post on thread so there is no abandonware title mentioned. Also links/URLs to game sites or download pages would be nice (other than Underdogs if available).

My, my.... somebody seems to have got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. [:-]

It all seems pretty on-topic to me. Most here seem to regard abandonware games as "free" morally, if not strictly legally.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

MekWars
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Straight instructions, links and URLs regarding (abandon)ware are censored on most forums I know and use. How about this one?

Oddly, the only forum I frequent where the moderators/owners have ever got even vaguely pissy about abandonware IS this one! Most clamp down on links to warez and "crack" sites, and rightly so, but not the Underdogs in my experience. Where the hell would you actually buy a copy of Fantasy General these days, anyway?

Anyway.. roaring back onto topic; Frank Hunter's American Civil War: Sumter to Appomattox, which I believe is still bona fide freeware, although I think the only place you can now get it is at the Und..., well, let's not go there, OK [;)] A really entertaining grand strategy game with excellent historical "feel". I keep meaning to buy the soundtrack album for Ken Burns "The Civil War" just to play as background music [:D]

At the risk of going off-topic again, a simulation rather than strategy game, Orbiter

Wonderful stuff !
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

Post by UndercoverNotChickenSalad »

W/ underdogs I use the site to just see what is available. Then I google the game I want and download it somewhere else. Don't know anything about spyware but underdog is slower than Christmas [8|]

Morality: I don't know if the games s/b free I don't concern myself w/ it. I buy games ALL THE TIME. W/ the older games the ppl who wrote the game won't see a penny even if u find a copy in some old warehouse so I get what I can free online. I just mean old games. Anything still published or any hope at all deserving ppl will get the royalties I'll buy everytime no problem.

I never buy used games. Always new b/c I know this is corney as heck but I think its important to support this industry. Buying new games at good retail price is the best way to go about it. Splitting hairs over old, obsolete crap isn't going to save anyone's job.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I have been tinkering with Battle for Wesnoth and it looks interesting enough to keep my attention until the CoG patch comes out....

Here is another open source game that you might like to try, X Force: Fight for Destiny.....it is based on the X Com series of games, and though it takes a bit to get used to the interface, it is a very good effort....

I guess an open source link is not taboo here, we'll see...............

http://www.xforce-online.de/index.php
Hentzau

Post by Hentzau »

Field of Strategy http://tpgames.free.fr/FoS/
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Thanks Falcon and Hentzau! This is EXACTLY what I am looking for! When you edit abandonware crap off your earlier posts and add URLs/links to other mentioned games, I'll be happy with you [:)]

Quantum Star is space strategy game which is played with WWW browser. Actually QS is only frame of the code and actual servers are built around it. I have played only in one of the game servers which now seems to be down. More information about game and game servers can be found from QS site.

MekWars
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Take the pine cone out of your butt Matti and chill! This thread is still on topic, and I do not self censor my posts for anyone....

Now, here is a very good turn based game that is freeware..the developer in fact is redesigning the game engine as we speak but this version is worth the download......hope this last line did not violate your strict guidelines Matti...now pardon me while I have a Catholic School Nuns flashback!

http://www.peoplestactics.com/

Return to “General Discussion”