OT: CV-7 Wasp found

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

FlyByKnight

OT: CV-7 Wasp found

Post by FlyByKnight »

ORIGINAL: Big B

The obvious question is - "Will each shell do at least 0ne Million Dollars worth of damage?" If not, someone needs to look at this again and rethink it.
JeffroK

RE: OT: CV-7 Wasp found

Post by JeffroK »

Great find, average article.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

May they Rest In Peace.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Mark VII

Post by Mark VII »

Nice story by the CBS This Morning show.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs_this_morn ... -uss-wasp/
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

These guys have really got their search levels up! probably in the nineties! [:D]
afspret

Post by afspret »

Here's a "what if" question. If the Wasp had not been sunk when she was, how long would she have continued on as a front line carrier? Basically her design specs were only slightly better than Ranger and she was kept in the Atlantic for most of the war because of poor armor protection and space and weight concerns from added new weapons & electronic gear.
John E. McCallum
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

She would have been a front line carrier as long as she was needed.

― Julia Child

FlyByKnight

Post by FlyByKnight »

ORIGINAL: afspret

Here's a "what if" question. If the Wasp had not been sunk when she was, how long would she have continued on as a front line carrier? Basically her design specs were only slightly better than Ranger and she was kept in the Atlantic for most of the war because of poor armor protection and space and weight concerns from added new weapons & electronic gear.
Until the battle of "bloody Santa Cruz", at which point her weaker protection would've likely led to her taking Hornet's place as the American CV sunk in that battle.
ORIGINAL: Big B

The obvious question is - "Will each shell do at least 0ne Million Dollars worth of damage?" If not, someone needs to look at this again and rethink it.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

The Wasp was a 'treaty' CV, built to max out the allowed tonnage. Thus, her construction was limited compared to the Enterprise vessels. I don't think she would have been in front line service if not for the war.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

The Wasp was a 'treaty' CV, built to max out the allowed tonnage. Thus, her construction was limited compared to the Enterprise vessels. I don't think she would have been in front line service if not for the war.

I disagree. USN patterns were to continue using ships until they were completely obsolete, and without the war she wouldn't have been replaced.

Before the war, only 13 Essex-class CVs were ordered, for example. Even the Two-Ocean Navy Act was just about supplementing existing commissioned naval strength, not replacing any.
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

ORIGINAL: afspret

As a guesstimate, Wasp would likely have served as a first-line strike carrier until early '44 when the Fast Carrier operations had become the standard and sufficient Essex class carriers were becoming available. For a period after that, she would have certainly still been used in other combat roles such as air support of amphibious landings but by '45 I suspect she might well have gone the way of USS Saratoga and been utilised as a training carrier. Although the Wasp had proven capable of faster deck operations than the larger Saratoga, her slower speed and inadequate protection made her as equally unsuited for participation in the type of operations being conducted late-war by the Fast Carrier Fleet. Even the USS Enterprise was finding it hard by '45 to keep pace with the Essex class in those operations.
This was the only sig line I could think of.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

The Saratoga (and the Lady Lex) were poor at maneuvering. They had a wide turning circle compared to the Yorktown class which may be part of the reason why she seemed easier to hit with torpedoes.

― Julia Child

Edward75

Post by Edward75 »

Nice story by the CBS This Morning show.

Very Nice!)

bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

The NY Times has a good article on this as well. Paul Allen's group is doing some good work.
fair winds,
Brad
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I had not seen this report. Thanks for Posting this.

Wish we could find the Japanese carriers sunk at Midway.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I do not know where to post this, I have never started a thread. Another group is doing good work in finding things and people that have been lost.
A burial ceremony for Warrant Officer John Henry Coates will take place at 1pm (27 March, 2019) at the CWGC’s Padua War Cemetery, Italy.

Warrant Officer Coates was serving with 111 Squadron when he died on 5 March 1945. He was involved in a bombing raid targeting barges on the canal north of the village of Cavarzere when his Spitfire PT 410 was hit by flak.

https://www.cwgc.org/learn/news-and-eve ... nry-coates

More information, including pictures:

https://www.cwgc.org/learn/news-and-eve ... nry-coates

― Julia Child

spence

Post by spence »

Until the battle of "bloody Santa Cruz", at which point her weaker protection would've likely led to her taking Hornet's place as the American CV sunk in that battle.

With 3 US CVs (and 75 extra a/c) against the 4 IJN CVs the results of the battle could have been quite different than historically. HIJMS Junyo was a converted ocean liner and might well have succumbed to the fires resulting from a single bomb hit (IIRC Junyo was in a separate TF). As it was the losses of aircrew at Santa Cruz was the most severe of any of the 4 CV battles in 1942. Maybe it would have turned out similarly to the actual battle but assuming a similar result with an extra US CV engaged is stretching it a bit.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd
I had not seen this report. Thanks for Posting this.

Wish we could find the Japanese carriers sunk at Midway.
Some of them are found - e.g. a piece of Kaga http://www.combinedfleet.com/MidwayFind.htm, http://nauticos.com/ijn-carrier-wreckag ... is-report/
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

I do not know where to post this, I have never started a thread. Another group is doing good work in finding things and people that have been lost.

Never started a new thread? Pretty easy - there is a large orange button at the top left of the sub-forum page (just above the stickied portion) that says New Thread. Click it, put in a topic title and everything else is like a normal post.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

I have a hard time posting pictures. [:@]

― Julia Child

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”